PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Devon and Cornwall.

Ken
13-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi folks,

It's been a while. After my little week in Dartmoor last year, I've decided to take some time out and pop down to the SW this weekend for a while (haven't decided when I'm coming home).

I'm spending my first night somewhere in North Devon with the intention of moving south or south west. If anyone knows of any worthy sites to visit in Devon or Cornwall, or is about and fancies hooking up; drop us a PM.

Ken
:)

rawfish111
13-02-2013, 05:34 PM
XXXXX area is a favourite with me on the south of the moor. Only a low Tor but the views up and down the xxxx valley are fantastic. Also there is a small area of ancient Oak woodland below that I like to visit when able called xxxxx xxxxx, this goes right on down to the river and there is a nice little area that folks use for fires and camping etc.

Unfortunately dealing with tourists I'm working the weekend but hoping to get up there myself on Monday.

Wherever you end up, it's Dartmoor so you can't fail really in my book.

Martin
14-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Rawfish111,

I've edited your post to remove the place names. This is the internet and is open to the whole world. Whilst Dartmoor is open to wild camping on the commons, it is not adviseable to openly post details of wooded areas where people camp and light illegal fires. You can imagine that the place would soon be trashed by irresponsible people who stumble upon your post in years to come. PM is the best medium for this information.

Martin

rawfish111
14-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks Martin, hadn't considered it from that point of view.

Ken
14-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Have logged the site you mentioned before the edit. All being well, I should make it there Monday afternoon.

rawfish111
16-02-2013, 07:30 PM
May see you up there then

rawfish111
18-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Went up there today, a late start due to other jobs to do around the house as usual so legged it straight up the valley. Saw a couple of folks up on the Tor above and enjoyed a nice hot brew and a scoff up in the woods before having to leg it back down into the setting sun. The scenery absolutely stunning as always.

Ferrell freddy
24-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone!

Steve here, new to the site and forums in general! I'm based in north Devon at the minute and have been into bushcraft for a while but have never been able to find time to practice :( is there any places around the Barnstaple/ex moor area that is close for anyone else? I'd ideal like to get more firmly into bushcraft but I'm unaware of how to get into it with regards to locations and the legal side ie land owners etc.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Steve.

jus_young
24-04-2013, 03:25 PM
To be honest Steve, it is a bit of a struggle round here. I have been looking for some time to get permission for woodland but to no avail. I am currently tying another route and will let you know if that comes up. Daft thing is that theres no shortage of woodland but the privately owned stuff is normally stuck in the middle of fields with no easy access and no permission to use, and the easily accessed woodlands are owned by various wildlife trusts so access there either.

I will find somewhere though!