PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears autobiography

paulthefish2009
12-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Just saw this on the woodlore site,to coincide with his "an evening with" tour later this year.
Can't wait personally,got my ticket for the tour for christmas :happy-clapping: Paul

Silverback
12-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Should be an interesting read.....

luresalive
13-02-2013, 08:39 AM
He should have published that a few years back before the bushcraft bubble burst, now it just looks like he's trying to cash in after the success of the bear grills book... Cynical aren't I !!

paulthefish2009
13-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Yeh maybe mate,but I know what your saying,he says it's because he turns 50 this year and felt the time was right,whatever I'll be buying it. Paul

Sar-ian
13-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Added to my birthday wish-list,

sam_acw
13-02-2013, 07:36 PM
He should have published that a few years back before the bushcraft bubble burst, now it just looks like he's trying to cash in after the success of the bear grills book... Cynical aren't I !!
Did the bubble burst? No-one told me.

alvino78
14-02-2013, 12:18 PM
think a bio from an older gent better than say young gent ? i think so and 2 completely different approaches to what they do regarding bears book, which was very good.think rays will be better tho!!!:happy-clapping:

Psycho
14-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I think this will be another book from Ray Mears, that I will buy =) I'm sure it will be very interesting to read all the stories about his journeys and his experiences!

alvino78
09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
well count down to the 12th ,book ordered from rays site eagerly awaiting delivery!!! £24 with special delivery plus signed!!!:jumping-joy:

Stamp
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
think a bio from an older gent better than say young gent ?:

I hate it when celebs do an autobiography when they only in their twenties! They haven't lived enough, at least Ray has had a few years under his belt to write about.

janso
16-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm half way through reading his book.............. bloody good read!

It definitely feels truthful, honest and thoughtful in how its written; has definitely motivated me to catch him on a tour!

Silverback
16-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm half way through reading his book.............. bloody good read!

It definitely feels truthful, honest and thoughtful in how its written; has definitely motivated me to catch him on a tour!

I have tickets for next month....

paulthefish2009
16-09-2013, 11:48 AM
I have tickets for next month....

Me too!! The book is on sale for at tesco's for 12 quid at the momentT^
about a third of the way through it.

Johnnyboy1971
16-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Mine landed Thursday morning and had finished it by Saturday afternoon.
Really good read and an insight as to who he really is, also a lot of things never published be it on film or in print.
I have seen most of his TV work and a few of his books, in the early days of showing techniques was good but glad he moved away and towards other avenues or it would have become stale.
My favorite chapter was written as a diary would be and would like to see more like this.

janso
16-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Also picked up a ticket from reading about his tour ON HERE!! Thanks folks! Guess there will be a small gathering attending Plymouth from this forum then? Maybe an after party is needed for a quick 'hot group debrief' on the lecture!! Was thinking of taking my book copy along in case of an impromptu book signing at the end....:wink:

Stoat
17-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Did the bubble burst? No-one told me.

I suspect that the people who liked the idea but not actually doing it, got a bit sick of it and put their gear on Ebay a while back, or were told to by their wives. But that just means more bargains for people who really are keen. Also, if it wasn't for the kit-mad dreamers, at least half the places supplying good gear would go out of business overnight.

BackPackMac
08-10-2013, 07:03 AM
I went to see Ray Mears on Tour last night (http://www.raymears.com/blog/an-evening-with-ray-mears-tour-dates-and-venues-for-2013/4340/) in North Wales - Very good, well worth going!

Dave ward
31-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi all, so im intrested in taking a look at rays book and wondered if it has good detail in it or just mearly bits and bobs? Ive always liked ray and his relaxing and informative ways of teaching etc but if im going to buy his book I dont want to be disappointed :) dave

luresalive
31-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Now I'm a big fan of Ray but his book is dreary at best, he fills half of it with synopsis of his tv programs and seems hypocritical at times about the youth if today and their education, he also makes the odd swipe at bear over the bug eating thing, to be honest I'm disappointed with it, no wonder it was going for £5 with free postage from the book people recently.

rossbird
31-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd say, for £5 it's a steal.
There is enough in there to impart some knowledge on most.
Fill yer boots:)

Lambag
09-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I've just bought this book on Amazon £4.99. Can't go wrong with that.
Just got to find the time to read it now.

Tony

luresalive
09-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I've just bought this book on Amazon £4.99. Can't go wrong with that.
Just got to find the time to read it now.

Tony

Hope you like Judo, he goes on about it all through the book

alvino78
24-11-2013, 06:34 PM
enjoyed the book.....although i was hoping for more, but definatley worth the money and the time to read!!