PDA

View Full Version : Estonia trip

jacko1066
12-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi guys,

I'm off to Estonia at the end of march for a week with a couple of friends.

I plan to spend the week in my hammock.

Well I finally got round to doing a kit list so I thought I would stick it down here for people to see and give me any ideas of what I'm missing

I will add more weights as and when I have time to do it, if I have missed anything please let me no , here is my kit list -

SHELTER - 1500G

DD 3X3 TARP WITH DOORS - 1100g
SPACE BLANKET AS GROUND SHEET - 400g (MAY SWAP FOR SOMETHING LIGHTER)

SLEEP - 3670G

DD FRONTLINE HAMMOCK - 1200g
SNUGPAK UNDER QUILT - 1300g
UK HAMMOCKS DOWN TOP QUILT WITH 100G OVERFILL - 930g
SILK BAG LINER - 120g
CCF MATT (OR SYNMAT 7) - 120g 0r 500g

CARRY -

LOWE ALPINE APPALATION TRAIL 85 PACK
SNUGPAK ROCKETPAK AS CARRY ON
DRY BAGS AND RUBBLE SACKS

COOK - 1596G

PRIMUS TREK KETTLE BILLY - 280g
ALLY NON STICK GROUP FRY PAN - 400g
ALLY KETTLE - 160g
TI MUG (NEED TO BUY ANYONE SELLING?)
ELEMENT 2.2 TI WOOD BURNING STOVE - 141g
VARGO TRIAD METHS BURNER - 42g
SOURCE 3L BLADDER - 110g
WEBTEX INLINE FILTER 120g
PURE HYDRATION TRAVELLER FILTER - 126g
750ML SPORTS BOTTLE WITH 100ML INCREMENTS - 60g
FOLDING PACK GRILL - 277g

SHARPS - 840g

MORA ROBUST - 200G
GERBER PARAFRAME FOLDER - 60G
LAPLANDER SAW - 200G
DC4 SHARPENER - 80G
TRAVEL STROP - 20G
GERBER MULTI TOOL - 280G

CLOTHES

WEARING -

SYNTHETIC BASE
MERINO THIN LAYER
MERINO MID LAYER
ARMY WOOL JUMPER
DPM SMOCK OR GORETEX JACKET
CRAGHOPPERS TROUSERS
HIKING SOCKS
ARMY WOOL SOCKS
GORETEX GAITORS
BRASHER HILLMASTERS GTX BOOTS

SLEEP-

SOFTIE TROUSERS
NORGIE
FLEECE
HEAT HOLDERS SOCK
WOOL BUFF

SPARE-

LONG JOHNS
3 X SOCKS
3 X PANTS
CRAGHOPPERS
SYNTHETIC BASE
MERINO BASE
FLEECE OR ARMY WOOL JUMPER
DOWN VEST
GLOVES
WOOLY HAT

[U]POSSIBLES-

WASH KIT AND MICRO FIBRE TOWEL
KFS
FIRE KIT - 400G
FAK - 300G
HEAD TORCH AND BATTS X 2 - 100G
MEDS
SPICE KIT
TOILET KIT AND IPOOD - 300G
SEA TO SUMMIT SINK
IPOD TOUCH
KINDLE
SPARE CORDAGE AND DUTCH BITS, PEGS ETC
MOBILE PHONE AND CHARGER
HOME MADE SIT PAD MADE FROM CCF PAD
WORK GLOVES

Let me no what you think chaps

Cheers
Steve

treefrog
12-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Well I don't know a lot about Estonia but I guess there's some wilderness to camp in...have a great trip.
I gotta give you top marks for being organized; everything listed and weighed!

FishyFolk
12-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Where in Estonia?
By the coast or inland. I ask becasue that two entirely different climates.
A DD Snugpak Underblanket should see you trough, as the average temperature is somewhere between +3 and -4 *Celcius. But that is in Tallin which is on the coast. Inland it could be -20, while the temprature is +5 on the coast. Like here on my island. Where it is now -2 while a few miles into the interior of the mainland, it's -15 right now. And for that the DD Snugpak may fall short.

But if so, you should be able to get something locally to improvise into an extra layer of insulation under you. A russian army wool blanket f.ex.

Else you seem to be kitted out well, just watch out for two legged bears...

jacko1066
12-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Where in Estonia?
By the coast or inland. I ask becasue that two entirely different climates.
A DD Snugpak Underblanket should see you trough, as the average temperature is somewhere between +3 and -4 *Celcius. But that is in Tallin which is on the coast. Inland it could be -20, while the temprature is +5 on the coast. Like here on my island. Where it is now -2 while a few miles into the interior of the mainland, it's -15 right now. And for that the DD Snugpak may fall short.

But if so, you should be able to get something locally to improvise into an extra layer of insulation under you. A russian army wool blanket f.ex.

Else you seem to be kitted out well, just watch out for two legged bears...

We are going to spend time in a different place every night with a bit of luck!!

I know what you mean about the insulation pal, but that's why I'm taking either a ccf mat or my synmat to go between the layers on my hammock!

That should take me down to those temps no problem.

Cheers

Silverback
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
one word........... enjoy

JonnyP
12-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Have fun :0)

butchthedog
12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Have a great time mate, stay lucky.

Tigger004
12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I usually carry a Drinksafe-systems personal drinking straw for lightness or a 3 in 1 micro if with other people, I have used one for a few years now and it saves you carrying too much water when there are plenty of water sources around.

BJ
12-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Camera, takes lots of photographs. have a great time

Ehecatl
12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Can't wait to read all about it.

M@

wildish64
12-02-2013, 06:42 PM
sound's like you've got it sorted,have a safe and great trip. looking forward to the pics and stories

jacko1066
12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I usually carry a Drinksafe-systems personal drinking straw for lightness or a 3 in 1 micro if with other people, I have used one for a few years now and it saves you carrying too much water when there are plenty of water sources around.

Tbh I usually use a aquapure traveller filter which is very lighteweight but only does 500ml at a time, I picked the inline filter up for £20 and the 3l source bladder brand new for £10. Plus when we base camp it will be nice to have 3l hung up in the tree to use.

Also, I have the older aquapure which once you fill it up you have I shake it and wait 15mins as it adds a very small amount of iodine to the water.

But it is brilliant, and if you carry another bottle which I do you can filter 1 litre in 15mins which I guess isn't bad.

Cheers for your input though its very much appreciated.

jacko1066
12-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Camera, takes lots of photographs. have a great time

1 of the lads who is going is an electrical wiz who is making me a light weight 30Amp battery charger, so I'm hoping that I can take a small video camera and get some good footage aswell as pics!!

Cheers

FishyFolk
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
We are going to spend time in a different place every night with a bit of luck!!

I know what you mean about the insulation pal, but that's why I'm taking either a ccf mat or my synmat to go between the layers on my hammock!

That should take me down to those temps no problem.

Cheers

In that case, Bon Voyage :-)

jacko1066
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi guys, just thought I would give you a heads up on my trip report - http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5704-Estonia-March-2013-Trip-Report

Cheers
Steve