PDA

View Full Version : Hammock prices Dd Frontline

treehugger
10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi all, I'm new on here and looking forward to picking up some great tips. I'm sure this must have been covered already but are dd Frontline hammocks worth the money, or is there a better cheaper option, Only asking as I need 4 hammocks 4 tarps etc. thanks in advance.

Martin
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Most people would agree that they offer good value for money.

Martin

Silverback
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
yes good value....mind you Im from Yorkshire and only paid £20 for mine from a mate ;)

treehugger
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys, are they any better than the TW hammocks? basically are there certain brands where your paying for the name not the product, sorry I just want to be sure before blowing a few hundred quid.

Martin
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm assuming that you've never slept in a hammock before? Before you spend all that money on four hammocks, why not try one out? After all, it may not be for you. Not everyone finds hammocking a comfortable way to sleep.

Martin

Silverback
10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm assuming that you've never slept in a hammock before? Before you spend all that money on four hammocks, why not try one out? After all, it may not be for you. Not everyone finds hammocking a comfortable way to sleep.

Martin

T^ + 2 for that. I did that with a basic TW first

treehugger
10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I own an army hammock I brought on ebay and me and the kids have all slept in " way more comfortable than my bell tent" the thing is it has only been used on balmy summer nights so is untested regarding cold damp etc. its great for what it is but the bottoms single skin, the webbing needed replacing an so on but it was cheap so I didn't expect to much.

Silverback
10-02-2013, 11:55 AM
If you have never slept in a hammock in the colder nights then you will need some kind of thermal insulation. There are many ways. Thermarests and foam mats between layers, underquilts and pods, each has their own pros and cons

http://www.hammockforums.net/?

lots of info here

treehugger
10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks I'll have a look, to be honest I'm not going to be out in the winter months but still dont want to spend the night shivering.

Silverback
10-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks I'll have a look, to be honest I'm not going to be out in the winter months but still dont want to spend the night shivering.

It can be quite liberating hammocking in the snow ;)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/photo-gallery/northen-soul-bushmoot-jan-2013.html

Johnnyboy1971
10-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the DD Camping hammock, I know it doesn't have a mozzi net but I also have one of those seperate that I hang on an internal ridge under my tarp.
Doing it this way makes it cheaper and when it comes to winter when you don't need the net you leave it home.

Silverback
10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm a big fan of the DD Camping hammock, I know it doesn't have a mozzi net but I also have one of those seperate that I hang on an internal ridge under my tarp.
Doing it this way makes it cheaper and when it comes to winter when you don't need the net you leave it home.

I did that with my TW...but with the DD if you dont need the mosi net just leave it down, its what i did at the Jan meet

treehugger
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Fair play, you photos have definetley given me a some food for thought.

Silverback
10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Fair play, you photos have definetley given me a some food for thought.

Snap of My mates and my set ups taken last weekend - both DD frontlines, nearest with snugpack under quilt, mine furthest away with home made UQ

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6966&d=1359931152

Ehecatl
10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I have a DD Camping hammock and I use a self inflating camping mat to lay on. With decent sleeping bag you should be quite cosy. I've experienced a lovely nights sleep when it got sub zero and the guys in tents were all cold.

I suspect that your costs may increase with all the additional "bits" like tree huggers, carabiners, cord for the tarp etc etc but I guess you can purchase these bit by bit.

I do not miss crawling out of the tent in the morning ;)

beefcrisps
10-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Try writing DD an e-mail, I needed 10 tarps and hammocks for our scout group and they did a great deal on '2nd's'.... about £34 for tarp and hammock from what I recall. Couldn't really see what the issue was, just a little untidy stitching on the edges. Fast delivery as well, couldn't rate them highly enough.

treehugger
10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all your help and advice, I think I'm going to get a TW Green Hornet as it just seems to give a little more than the DD regarding size.

Chubbs
10-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all your help and advice, I think I'm going to get a TW Green Hornet as it just seems to give a little more than the DD regarding size.

If you are looking for a little extra room they do sell a Hornet Hammock which is 1.8 metres wide and it has double zips, one being used for enclosing the two layers where you put your underquilt or pad, compared to the usual velcro ones they have. They do not list them but if you send Neil a message at TW Hammocks asking for one, they should have some left. Check out 51Foxy's vids on Youtube about the TW Hammocks and mention that you saw the vids when contacting Neil, it might get you a few quid off. I bought one and he did me a good deal, not loads off but a bit cheaper with free post and packing.

Cheers Neil

treehugger
10-02-2013, 09:28 PM
How spooky I've just finished emailing neil to buy the hornet do do do do, do do do do. sorry that was my atempt at the twilightzone music. thanks for the heads up anyway.

Tankosl
13-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi all,
Forgive me if this isn't quite the right place to ask the question :ashamed:
I'm thinking of getting a dd travel but I'm concerned about the breathability issues.....I want to be able to use it on the ground as well but not sure if I should get a frontline and use a small groundsheet or go for the travel???
Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

AdrianRose
13-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Frontline all the way buddy. I did a review on the 2012 Frontline hammock, its on my YouTube channel if it helps mate.

Ade

jus_young
14-02-2013, 07:44 AM
I have the travel hammock and have noticed a tendency for sweaty sleeping, but then I sleep warm anyway. I do like the option of having the ground nest capability without having to carry yet another item such as a small tarp to put on the floor, so I adjusted the underquilt to give a looser fit in warmer weather and I no longer have a problem :)

If you were planning to use a pad in the hammock rather than an underquilt then the breathability is not an issue, the pads are not breathable anyway. I am currently looking at the Exped downmats to use instead of the underquilt so that I have the insulation layer weather tree or ground dwelling without carrying loads of unnecessary kit as a 'just in case'.

You will always get differing opinions on here about kit, everybody has their likes and dislikes and that's part of what makes this such an interesting craft. Your decision will not be an easy one :D

suggy
14-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi all,
Forgive me if this isn't quite the right place to ask the question :ashamed:
I'm thinking of getting a dd travel but I'm concerned about the breathability issues.....I want to be able to use it on the ground as well but not sure if I should get a frontline and use a small groundsheet or go for the travel???
Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

Personally I'd get the breathable one and buy a cheap groundsheet.

Look after your hammock and your hammock will look after you !

P.S. Welcome to the forum, pop over to the introductions section and say hello :)

Tankosl
15-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi All,
Thanks very much for your advice and comments.......:happy-clapping:
The only problem now is.........DD or TW??? :zombie-fighting:

wildish64
15-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi All,
Thanks very much for your advice and comments.......:happy-clapping:
The only problem now is.........DD or TW??? :zombie-fighting:

am looking forward to the answer to this.... i cant make my mind up either...

Silverback
15-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Frontline.....

Tankosl
15-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Frontline.....

Hi Sapper, what makes you say that??? Just wondered what the pros and cons were of the two types.....

dannyreid1978
15-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I love my frontline hammock worth every single penny!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/a7e7u7e9.jpg

Danny

Silverback
15-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Sapper, what makes you say that??? Just wondered what the pros and cons were of the two types.....

I have a TW and while its wider believe it or not i can get a flatter more comfy lay in my frontline

butchthedog
15-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a Frontline also and love it, Its breathable so good in warm weather. In colder weather you can use an underquilt and or waterproof groundsheet to stop rain splashes etc.

nilo52
16-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Martin,
I have never used a hammock, how do you "turn over" in one ?? would I fall out if I did ? all I have ever done is sleep on the ground in a tent but the hammock thing interests me.
Thank you for your time,
nilo52