PDA

View Full Version : Anything else I need?

FishyFolk
06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Okay so I ordered

TW Hammock
tarp
under quilt
cordage to hang the tarp
tree huggers
carabiniers
amsteel whoopie slings for both tarp and hammock (don't ask me why)
an arctic sleeping bag
300ft of 550 paracord

I got a bivi/ survival bag (the famed Jerven bag), foam pad already.

Anything else I won't regret adding to the sleep system?
Something I have left out?

Any advice given will be well recieved :-)

Rune

ian c
06-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I think you have got enough Rune.

FishyFolk
06-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Some how I think so too...I'll need to hire a Sherpa to carry it all...:happy-clapping:

suggy
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
How about a utility line ? It can pull the underquilt up snug and you can use it for storage.

:)

FishyFolk
06-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I forgot to put in that I ordered 300 feet of 550 paracord :-)

So I should have enough for that, Snuggy :-)

jacko1066
06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Look at whoopie hooks mate, far less weight than biners.

Also for your ridge line tarp flyz and hooks.

Its all dutchware sold on ukhammocks.

Cheers
Steve

FishyFolk
06-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tip, Steve. But not really chasing grams and ounzes at this stage. I hope to carry it in a pulk in winter...

allytk
06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
What are you using as a top quilt? I have just been using an old down sleeping bag of my dads. Just unzipped its almost exactly the same. What kind of underquilt did you get? I still need one that fits better

allytk
06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry mate miss read first post. Seen the sleeping bag when I re read :p

Tigger004
06-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I like a structural ridge line, gives more sag, also a constant sag which enables the same flat lay each time you hang, (PS. I just added a whoopie sling as a ridgeline, it can be infinately adjusted until you find your comfort zone), enjoy

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 06:20 AM
I like a structural ridge line, gives more sag, also a constant sag which enables the same flat lay each time you hang, (PS. I just added a whoopie sling as a ridgeline, it can be infinately adjusted until you find your comfort zone), enjoy

I ordered two pairs of whoopie slings, so I can use one pair for the ridgeline :-)

I asked the same question on the hammock forums, and they are all advising against paracord as tarp suspension, as it stretches...claiming I'll be tightening things up all the time.
Hmmm

Rune

allytk
07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
I did find it stretched if it got wet. Wasn't enough stretch that I hit the ground but it deffinatly moved

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I did find it stretched if it got wet. Wasn't enough stretch that I hit the ground but it deffinatly moved

Oh, I will only use the paracord for the tarp. I will be using whoopie slings and tree huggers for the hammock :-)

jacko1066
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Steve. But not really chasing grams and ounzes at this stage. I hope to carry it in a pulk in winter...

Sorry mate you have mis red me, I don't use that kit to save weight, I use because it makes the set a hell of a lot quicker tbh!!

No nots at all, everything just clips or hooks on and its bet adjustable. The weight saving is just an added bonus.

I use zing it for my tarp ridgeline and guys, and I also use clam cleats on my guys to so try can be easily adjusted and tightened.

f0rm4t
07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
How about a couple of mini-caribiners on either end of your tarp ridge-line loops, so you can easily torque up the tarp with your prussic knots :)

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
How about a couple of mini-caribiners on either end of your tarp ridge-line loops, so you can easily torque up the tarp with your prussic knots :)

I got 8-10 of them in the shed. Just some cheap alu ones, but should be good enough for that. But I plan to use the extra set of whoopie slings for that :-)

scoots66
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
You could always factor in a couple of storm rings to stop rain running down into your hammock... work wonders for the wife, (although I just tied a piece of paracord on and the rain quite happily runs down that...)

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
I think the carabiniers will take care of that :-)

suggy
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Nite Ize figure 9, might be good for tensioning your tarp ridge line seeing as you are using paracord..(Don't think whoopies will work)

http://www.niteize.com/collection/Figure-9.asp

:)

You can find them on ebay

Silverback
07-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I asked the same question on the hammock forums, and they are all advising against paracord as tarp suspension, as it stretches...claiming I'll be tightening things up all the time.
Hmmm

2 days on Northern Soul meet, one day last weekend and after 2 years use the length of 550 I use for my ridgeline has never needed tensioning repeatedly

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks Sapper. I think it will be okay too.

Meanwhile I am irritating the wife by practicing on doing the evenk knot beetween the Sofa table leg and my computer desk.... lol
I am a complete imbesil with knots. And I certainly can't remeber them when i need them. So practice, practice, practice. It will probably be well bellow zero when I set this up the first time, so the last thing I wanna do is fumble around with knots while my hands turn to a pair of useless ice blocks...

Ashleys vids are really helpfull, and easy to follow :-)

Ehecatl
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Sapper. I think it will be okay too.

Meanwhile I am irritating the wife by practicing on doing the evenk knot beetween the Sofa table leg and my computer desk.... lol
I am a complete imbesil with knots. And I certainly can't remeber them when i need them. So practice, practice, practice.

I too irritate Mrs Ehecatl by doing ridge lines between two kitchen chairs and likewise I have to drum knots into my brain until I can tie then with my eyes shut.

So Rune, you're knot alone! :jumping-joy:

M@

FishyFolk
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I too irritate Mrs Ehecatl by doing ridge lines between two kitchen chairs and likewise I have to drum knots into my brain until I can tie then with my eyes shut.

So Rune, you're knot alone! :jumping-joy:

M@

This is just knots...

Silverback
07-02-2013, 08:10 PM
This is just knots...

It could be worse it could be bilhooks