PDA

View Full Version : what is your greatest adventure

Raven
31-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Ok guy's and gals,

i'd love to hear your stories, best camping, walking, climbing and general outdoor adventures, doesn't have to be exotic locations or danger filled experience, just the fondest memory or most visited place, i'm sure that there are some great adventures out there that you would love to share,i and the people on here would love to hear and maybe be inspired by your story's! so get cracking, pics to if you have them.

paul

Silverback
31-01-2013, 10:56 AM
There are so many......but my fondest memory has to be spending 3 days being assessed in poor weather in the Brecon Beacons with my dog, and at the end being presented with the little red circle of plastic simply stamped with 'Search Dog' - the culmination of 2 years training in some of the worst and best weather as well as terrain that this land has to offer. Forests in Bowland,Lakeland vistas, Peak District bogs, Dartmoor downpours, Black Mountain mists, Northumbrian rain and slippy Dales limestone.

All with the companionship of my best friend & partner......my dog.

Lots of memories, some good, some bad but i wouldn't change a thing

Pictures below just represent just the last two months of getting out with the dogs:)

6861 6862 6863 6864

Al21
31-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Paul,

Not sure if this will do, but before I knew about forums like this I started my own little site to document some of my outdoor activities, so rather than write them again, feel free to look through what I've made available. Mostly it's my own stuff, but some has been written by friends, often about trips we enjoyed, but occasionally trips I couldn't make.

http://al.sdf-eu.org/rdc/home.html

There's not much about hiking I'm afraid, but I have posted about some of our recent canoeing trips as I've introduced my son to such delights.

Enjoy,

Al

FishyFolk
31-01-2013, 11:25 AM
When I was 12, me and my best buddy Robert hiked up on the mountain platau behind my mountain and stayed at a small lake up there fishing for a week. With our Bergans loaded to bursting with tent, extra clothes, sleeping bags etc, our fathers seriously doubted that we'd make it trough the pass and up on the platau, but we were a stubborn couple of boys and proved them wrong. The weather shiftetd a lot from sunny and warm, to one morning when we woke up to snow. This was in late July!

Anyway we where up there for a week with no communications with our parents, and nobody died. Well, my pop has later admitted that after 3 days, him and my mates dad hiked up there one night to check on us, but found us sleeping in the tent, so they quitly snuck off and left us alone :-)

Else the mountain march in the army was quite memorable. Thats a week of tabbing in the mountains of Troms, Norway. And we climbed Arctic Norways highest mountain, Istind. I remember crawling the last few meters, to find our Company CO at the top, puffing away on his pipe, stretching out his arm going "Look!, at Norway lads"....the man was not even breaking a sweat, and we where just about done in.

Many such stories, but I guess that trip at age 12 wins,a s we proved our dads wrong :-)

Raven
01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
i have many great memories, hiking in the Canadian wilderness, camping in the Colorado rockies, but i have to say one of my fondest is doing the two moors way across Dartmoor and Exmoor, it took 6 days to travel 120 miles, there were four of us to start with but due to various reasons three dropped out on the third day, which left me and my dog to continue alone, this was a charity challenge and there was a lot of money at stake for the blue cross (who i worked for at the time) so there was never any question of giving up in my stubborn mind, so disspite the first two days being hard driving rain on Dartmoor, sweltering heat the next two, then dense fog over Exmoor last two, i did complete it and i have some fabulous memories. my now wife (who was one of the three to drop out) thinks i was/am insane.

FishyFolk
01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Else this trip was quite memorable, as the Toyota broke down (shot radiator...), and we had to spend the night in the Sudanese bush...

OakAshandThorn
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Let's see...I have to say it would be driving out to see the Grand Canyon a few years back. On the way there, I stopped to sample some prickly pear cactus fruits, but I was too excited to try them that I totally forgot to peel-off the spiny skin. Well, I ended up having spines all over my lips; but it was worth the taste ;).
I continued on to the South Rim and took some photos. Gosh, the view was absolutely GORGEOUS. I even saw some people in tears because of the majesty the landscape evoked. The nights were incredible - more stars than I'd ever seen before. And everyone got up early to see the grandeur of the rising sun.
On the last night of my stay, I came across some friendly Swiss folks - a family musical group. The mother spoke enough English so communication wasn't much of an issue, and my brother joined the band when he took out his french horn and played Edelweiss ;). I stupidly left my Pan-flute at home...
It was indeed a grand experience :). The only bad part was that the campsite was a bit noisy.

6874 My brother
6876 Sunset :)