PDA

View Full Version : The Gelert Solo Tent 2010

Ken
14-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Greetings,

I guess I've done this the wrong way round, as I wondered if anyone has a Gelert Solo tent and if it comes recommended by my fellow bushcrafters? Why the wrong way round? Because I've just ordered one off t'internet!

Last year I bought a lot of rubbish kit (apart from my Bushcooker & DD Hammock) and am in the process of replacing a lot of it. So far, the aluminium billy cans are now in the back of the kitchen cupboard for emergency as my Zebra 12cm stainless steel billy can arrived this morning. Next week, I'll be looking to get my steel crusader mug and a DD tarp to replace the 6 tonne (it felt that heavy after 20 minutes) basha for those hammock camps.

Can't wait to go on a few day walkabout real soon!

Ken
:camping:

Martin
14-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Ken, I looked at those, before I bought the Terranova Laser, when I was in the market for a tent. They look quite decent if maybe a little on the small side. The main issue being the fact that you can't get you and your kit inside, meaning that when it rains your kit will get wet if you haven't covered it up. Not much different to a bivvy bag really so you pays your money and takes your choice. Oh, and if you're over 6' you may find it a bit of a squeeze.

If you really decide to spend a little more time researching tents before you take the plunge, don't forget that you have a statutory right to change your mind and cancel the order even if the seller has posted you the goods. The only thing you should have to pay is the return postage.

Hope this helps

Martin

Ken
14-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Ken, I looked at those, before I bought the Terranova Laser, when I was in the market for a tent. They look quite decent if maybe a little on the small side. The main issue being the fact that you can't get you and your kit inside, meaning that when it rains your kit will get wet if you haven't covered it up. Not much different to a bivvy bag really so you pays your money and takes your choice. Oh, and if you're over 6' you may find it a bit of a squeeze.

If you really decide to spend a little more time researching tents before you take the plunge, don't forget that you have a statutory right to change your mind and cancel the order even if the seller has posted you the goods. The only thing you should have to pay is the return postage.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for that. My biggest problem is I can be such an impulsive buyer of stuff! That's where I made mistakes last year. As the Gelert had some good feedback on some sites and it's value for money, I thought I'd give it a go. There is a little storage space between the inner and outer tents and i'll see if my berger will fit it. Fortunately, I'm a good few inches short of 6', so I should be OK. As I don't drive I needed something lightweight, enabling me to walk long distances without too much bother, however if it isn't suitable for my needs, I have a friend who's interested, so I can always pass it onto him.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed your 3 day Dartmoor trip videos. Very informative and enjoyable as I do plenty of sofa bushcrafting when I'm stuck in town due to other committments.

All the best,

Ken

Martin
14-01-2011, 04:19 PM
:D Ken, join the club. I just won't admit so freely to buying so impulsively. On the other hand, if I didn't I would probably never buy anything at all.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the videos. It was great fun planning and executing the trip and I'm glad that people generally found it interesting.

Martin

Tony1948
14-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Interesting................I thought you'r a bloody hero.........atb.......TONY

Ken
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE GELERT! My fibreglass pole for the bottom of the 'tent' broke on second usage, ripping the outer tent. I guess for £25 you get what you pay for!

Martin
13-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the update mate. :)

Martin

Metal mug
14-06-2011, 11:24 AM
At least it wasn't snowing when you put it up.:)

Ben Casey
14-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE GELERT! My fibreglass pole for the bottom of the 'tent' broke on second usage, ripping the outer tent. I guess for £25 you get what you pay for!

Well I did offer you the Aldi tent I had with me but you wanted to persist with fiddling about with it :) By the way the Aldi tent is still working :)

Adam Savage
14-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Well I did offer you the Aldi tent I had with me but you wanted to persist with fiddling about with it :) By the way the Aldi tent is still working :)

That's just rubbing salt into the poor mans wounds, you meanie.

Ben Casey
14-06-2011, 08:16 PM
That's just rubbing salt into the poor mans wounds, you meanie.

If you dont know me now you never will I couldnt resist it :D

Metal mug
17-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I was looking at the 2011 model yesterday. It's quite stealthy, apart from the big Gelert logo on the top. :) Also it's still not that big lengthways. Maybe we'll have to wait for the 2012 model. :D

Ken
25-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Ok my bushcrafting buddies, here's the plan. I have a budget of about £80. I want to get a lightweight tent that will 'house' me and my 70 litre rucksack (A 2 person tent is OK). It'll need to be useable all year round and be able to deal with a bit of wind and plenty of rain. Easy to put up and pack too (certain people are laughing as they read this - stop!) Does anyone have any recommendations? No, Ben I'm not going to Aldi!

Metal mug
25-06-2011, 06:27 PM
The vango banshee 200 is fairly spacious. And it costs around £80. Never used one though so you might have to look at some reviews.

Jack

jus_young
25-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Have a look at this thread including my opinions on the Banshee that I use.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?939-Two-Skin-Tent

jus_young
25-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh, and in relation to the budget, you would need to look at second hand versions as new ones are about £120

Metal mug
25-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Or run over to Glastonbury when it's ended and pick up all the left over tents. :D

jus_young
25-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Or run over to Glastonbury when it's ended and pick up all the left over tents. :D

But choose carefully you just don't know what might have been going on in those tents!

Metal mug
25-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Ewwww. The mind shudders.

Ben Casey
25-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Ok my bushcrafting buddies, here's the plan. I have a budget of about £80. I want to get a lightweight tent that will 'house' me and my 70 litre rucksack (A 2 person tent is OK). It'll need to be useable all year round and be able to deal with a bit of wind and plenty of rain. Easy to put up and pack too (certain people are laughing as they read this - stop!) Does anyone have any recommendations? No, Ben I'm not going to Aldi!

Ok so ALDI is out (My fav shop) ;) Anyway why not a tarp at 3 by 4.5 like mine you can put it in different configs and adapt it to whatever situation your in :)

jus_young
26-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Ok so ALDI is out (My fav shop) ;) Anyway why not a tarp at 3 by 4.5 like mine you can put it in different configs and adapt it to whatever situation your in :)

Iv'e got to admit to being a bit of a wimp at this point. The tarp is all well and good, and has its uses as a shelter when you really need it in a hurry. But as a matter of choice I would prefer to have something with a groundsheet, enclosing me from the self propeled food sources that may crawl into my mouth during the night as opposed to the food I choose to eat :shocked:

Either that or get myself off the floor with a suitable net as everything else seems to like eating me :mad2:

jus_young
26-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Ewwww. The mind shudders.

Apparently you might need to watch whats been left in the portaloos as well...

Ben Casey
26-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I have a net on my Hammock and apart from one mitake up until now I have always been warm and dry and the net keeps things out :)

Metal mug
27-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Apparently you might need to watch whats been left in the portaloos as well...Those conservatives get everywhere.