PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

Metal mug
29-01-2013, 05:37 PM
I was looking around for a second hand handheld GPS for general navigating. Can anyone recommend a make or brand?

Any advice would be handy. :D

Jack

Silverback
29-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Depends what you want it for, if you just want a basic one to pinpoint your GR and do basic routes then you would be hard pressed to find better value than a basic e-trex. I have one and its never let me down in 10 years...

JEEP
29-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I have a Garmin Dakota 20. With the large touchscreen it is a lot easier (and very much faster) to use than the e-Trex series - but still very handy and lightweight.

Always go for a model whith a slot for a MSD card, for expanding the memory for topographic- and custom maps.

9 out of 10 times I sell a GPS at the store, it is a Dakota 20.

Silverback
29-01-2013, 06:27 PM
At that level of mapping and features then I would have to recommend the Satmap Active 10, its what i use both or leisure and on call outs.

Based on secondhand price, simplicity and availability - etrex

Ehecatl
29-01-2013, 07:58 PM
If it's for general use on the road I'd thoroughly recommend Mrs Ehecatl - she's brilliant with a AA road atlas. On the down side though she doesn't do many miles per glass of vodka. :confused:

M@

Silverback
29-01-2013, 08:01 PM
If it's for general use on the road I'd thoroughly recommend Mrs Ehecatl - she's brilliant with a AA road atlas. On the down side though she doesn't do many miles per glass of vodka. :confused:

M@

:happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

Tigger004
29-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Just a note, I use a Garmin 550T fantastic but not cheap,

I do have a Garmin e-trex H I need to get rid of, see Sapper's post, depends what you want it to do. Let me know if you're interested in the e-trex

wildish64
29-01-2013, 08:31 PM
i'm surprised you didnt get bombarded with the cons about gps on here.

hope you find a bargain

Silverback
29-01-2013, 08:49 PM
:evilgrin: GPS work of the devil makes man lazy and unable or unwilling to put the effort into learning a skill. Like those people that buy charcloth off the internet:evilgrin:

:jumping-joy:

Ehecatl
29-01-2013, 08:50 PM
:evilgrin: GPS work of the devil makes man lazy and unable or unwilling to put the effort into learning a skill. Like those people that buy charcloth off the internet:evilgrin:

:jumping-joy:

...and matches

Silverback
29-01-2013, 08:53 PM
...and matches

and electrickery, the horseless carriage and flameless cooking

wildish64
29-01-2013, 09:17 PM
and electrickery, the horseless carriage and flameless cooking

has all that made it that far north already?

i wasnt aware that by using a gps it negates peoples map reading skills,phew,glad i never bought one now ;)

Silverback
29-01-2013, 09:31 PM
has all that made it that far north already?

Yeah we all eat black pudding, keep ferrets and whippets oh and our motorways are cobbled too......RACIST !

Silverback
29-01-2013, 09:34 PM
i wasnt aware that by using a gps it negates peoples map reading skills,phew,glad i never bought one now ;)

On a serious note generally it doesnt, but those without common sense and a blind faith in technology are the ones that often get into trouble.

Martin
29-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Plus one for the Garmin Etrex. It will tell you where you are and, in conjunction with a map, you will never get lost. Unless the batteries run out, that is. ;)

Martin

wildish64
29-01-2013, 09:46 PM
cobbled motorway? lol will have to remember that one lol

i thought they all did that martin....if a free one does i'd certainly expect one you buy to so.

Silverback
29-01-2013, 09:55 PM
i thought they all did that martin....if a free one does i'd certainly expect one you buy to so.

Methinks the man doth protest too much...

The difference between phone apps and dedicated GPS is at least you can change the batteries...and generally a GPS is protected against water ingress... too many variables to affect a phone, not easy to recharge on the go, and reliance on electronic mapping is the major problem i have with that kind of GPS, a paper map properly protected against water or laminated will never run out of power, and can be used as a sit mat ;)

biker-bri
29-01-2013, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Sapper- a paper map properly protected against water or laminated will never run out of power, and can be used as a sit mat ;)[/QUOTE]

That's Yorkshire thrift for you - more than one use = must be good and the batteries last forever T^:happy-clapping:
Cheers Bri

JonnyP
29-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Methinks the man doth protest too much...

The difference between phone apps and dedicated GPS is at least you can change the batteries...and generally a GPS is protected against water ingress... too many variables to affect a phone, not easy to recharge on the go, and reliance on electronic mapping is the major problem i have with that kind of GPS, a paper map properly protected against water or laminated will never run out of power, and can be used as a sit mat ;)

Plenty of solar and portable chargers on the market, as well as watertight smart phones. :0)

Martin
29-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the mapping GPS devices as they, once again, encourage the owner to do away with a map. The screen on such devices is too small for route planning.

Incidentally, has anyone else used the Harvey's maps? I have just started using them and they are a revelation. Light as a feather, 100% waterproof as they are printed on plastic, and really good level of detail. I'm totally converted.

Martin

Silverback
29-01-2013, 10:17 PM
That's Yorkshire thrift for you - more than one use = must be good and the batteries last forever T^:happy-clapping:
Cheers Bri

if its raining you can use it as a hat, and sledge on it if its snowed...4 uses

Incidentally, has anyone else used the Harvey's maps? I have just started using them and they are a revelation. Light as a feather, 100% waterproof as they are printed on plastic, and really good level of detail. I'm totally converted.

Yup got them for the Peak District

Plenty of solar and portable chargers on the market,

All my hill going electrics, GPS, Hand and Head torches take the same batteries.....Chargers fail, what if its not sunny, another bit of technology to fail

wildish64
29-01-2013, 10:24 PM
i'm just a bit confused by your comments,when i made the post offering a free gps mapping app to anyone who might find it useful with too many functions to mention i felt the general response was basically that they are not worth the plastic it takes to make them. People who are perfectly proficient at using a map and compass use them on a regular basis along side maps with no detrimental outcomes. As you said you own two yourself as well as i read that martin recently used one for the day after plotting his route in (also carrying a map as you should if in unfamiliar areas .
As for the battery life,as i tried pointing out,it is a 'background app' so your phone stays in the home screen unless you wish to check your position so it uses no more battery than the phone does under normal usage.
As for charging,my phone will run for 4 days with normal usage,if i go away i have means of recharging it (along with my head-torch) and as for the water problem i find a re-sealable bag quiet adequate,after all,as you say,water is a problem with phones.If you are in the situation of needing assistance a wet phone is no use whether it has the gps built in or if your gps ins in your other hand.
I was taught map skills in the army cadets at the age of 12 so thats 36 years of practice unlike as you say these people who pick up a gps and wander off into trouble.
Oh and i didnt know you could buy charcloth from the intrnet,wouldnt have even thought to look as ive been making it for more years than i can remember but thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

Silverback
29-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Your phone may, others dont....I wasn't using you as an example. I suggest you re read my posts it may eliminate your confusion.

The blind reliance in technology of some people is amazing...like the guys that insisted they were 8 kms north of their actual position because their GPS said so...it had been programmed to the wrong settings.

As for charcloth good glad to be of service..you may find this useful too http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-16377288

As an aside which ACF Det were you at ?

wildish64
29-01-2013, 10:51 PM
my only confusion is that although you use 'hill going electrics' yourself you seem to have an inherent mistrust about them,of course any technology is prone to failure and that is exactly the reason for sites like this to share knowledge of the old ways so the non sheep among us have a little practicality of the iron age man as your tag points out.

I was at Liegh-on -sea,essex rct

Silverback
29-01-2013, 11:09 PM
my only confusion is that although you use 'hill going electrics' yourself you seem to have an inherent mistrust about them

Nope thats not the case your perception of my concerns is wrong......I have a concern for those that place absolute faith in technology, and those that sell some technology as the 'perfect' solution...... Murphys law tells us thats bad immediately.

My etrex is used for a GPS fix in difficult conditions which is normally when I'm in the hills anyway, My Satmap is an excellent tool for tracking search patterns and can accurately plot where search teams have been and can be shown or even downloaded at control to search managers and the police thus hopefully making the search quicker and more thorough. So yes technology is useful...we even have GPS mikes on our radios now...The thing is that if any of these things fail then apart from a persons own ability to navigate for safety theres always at least one partner who also check navigates. Theres always a redundancy and we wont suffer without it.

If out on the hills for pleasure I will choose to map read, its a skill I enjoy having and a skill that without practice degrades.

Where are the fail safes for those uninitiated that think that the GPS will show them the way home like dashboard doris ? Yes we can navigate, not everyone who frequents this forum can.Thats my point on this that technology is too readily available to those that cant do the basics and it can lead them into places where they really should avoid. Adz (adam) on here freely admits he cant navigate using OSGB, so it must be said or reminded that whilst technology has a place it is not a replacement for skill sets.

ViewRanger gives this advice on its website

Safety Advice
We Recommend:

that in addition to the normal guidelines for countryside users (click here for advice for walkers) or (click here for advice for cyclists) customers are advised that:
Map & Compass

The ViewRanger GPS app and digital mapping is a wonderful aid to making navigation easier and more enjoyable, but a traditional map and compass should still be always carried. Smartphones may be damaged by water or sudden jolts - a waterproof/robust carry case is recommended.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/other/safety-advice

The persecution rests ;)

Oh and the signatures on my profile, one is by Terry Nation from his book 'Survivors' and the other is about the role of the Armed and Law Enforcement Services from a book called 'Of Wolves, Sheep and Sheepdogs' i think thats it by a Lt Col in the US forces

biker-bri
30-01-2013, 11:48 AM
How accurate are handheld gps systems - within a meter, 3 meters ? - I have never used one or needed one whether or not I would ever buy one is debatable, but I would never rely
on one - reliance on technology is crazy, a local superstore "begins with a t" suffered a power cut and couldn't sell a thing, baskets full of goods left in the aisles while everyone was ushered
out - because the computer operated tills failed.
I remember reading the trail walker magazine when the first gulf war had just started, it warned that the US could reduce the accuracy of the satellite system for civilian use - imagine finding out
that your gps is only accurate to within 500 mtrs :oops:, these are just examples of what can or may happen when we rely on things that we don't control - when people rely on anything other
then themselves they go the extra mile an apt saying or bite off more than they can chew, technology seams to remove common sense, "because its a computer it must be right"!!.
You could say that some of us tend to look on the black side of things, and some of us such as sapper see the black side, SAR teams see first hand what happens when things fail.
:Sorry: about the rant Bri

Metal mug
30-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Wow! Loads of posts. :)

I'm only getting a GPS to use as a second opinion against the good old map n' compass. But I'm not rushing into buying one- partly as I've haven't set any money aside for it yet. :D

Thanks for the opinions.

Jack

Silverback
30-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow! Loads of posts. :)

I'm only getting a GPS to use as a second opinion against the good old map n' compass. But I'm not rushing into buying one- partly as I've haven't set any money aside for it yet. :D

Thanks for the opinions.

Jack

Yup just as I thought hence the etrex suggestion

Martin
30-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Just a thought. If you decide to buy second hand and you plump for an Etrex, try to find an Etrex 'H'. The 'H' stands for high sensitivity and means that the unit won't lose sight of the satellites, even if you're in dense woodland. I used mine on a flight back from Tunisia last year and it tracked my progress all the way from Africa to deepest, darkest Cornwall. It was so accurate, it showed where we taxied along the runway at Bristol Airport when we landed. :)

Martin

Silverback
30-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Just a thought. If you decide to buy second hand and you plump for an Etrex, try to find an Etrex 'H'. The 'H' stands for high sensitivity and means that the unit won't lose sight of the satellites, even if you're in dense woodland. I used mine on a flight back from Tunisia last year and it tracked my progress all the way from Africa to deepest, darkest Cornwall. It was so accurate, it showed where we taxied along the runway at Bristol Airport when we landed. :)

Martin

Now then Martin thanks for this didnt know that <scurries off to check my etrex> just goes to prove that even if you think you already know everything. There is always someone who knows that one thing that you don't.

FishyFolk
30-01-2013, 04:01 PM
When I was in Kosovo our GPS systems where very accurate. Sadly our paper maps where off by about a km...would have been fun to call in arty on an enemy about 1 km away based on the map, while the dudes in charge of the big guns used GPS. :rolleyes:

But that was there. Here in the world the most reliable thing is a map and compass, provided you know how. But learning to use new technology is also fun. If I where to get a GPS now it would probably be one of the e-trex models.

As for using a phone GPS...I have hauled it out to get a fix. But I do not navigate by it. It's purely for getting my grid. And then I go to paper, and check that it's at least plausible, then navigate by map, compass, and known features to where I wanna go. Electric stuff simply fails, and batteries don't like the cold...

Old Guard
30-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I think that relying on GPS type teccie gear, is more likly to get people less inclined to study the maps of the area, before setting out.

The act of using map and compass get's you into the habit of pouring over the maps, which gives you a better mental image of the ground, which is invaluble, when something 'goes wrong'.

Will 'Map & Compass' become another 'Lost Art' !!!:shocked:

OG

David_JAFO
30-01-2013, 10:01 PM
hello,
Still got my GPS systems from Gulf War I, used since & has never let me down yet,
although I prefer map & compass :wink:
Regards
David

Metal mug
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Will 'Map & Compass' become another 'Lost Art' !!!:shocked:

I hope not I've only just gone and bought a new compass. :D

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 03:19 PM
E-trex for checking you are where you think. Using another thing else your no longer navigating and it's a skill dying out with GPS even amongst military.

SimonB
24-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I openly admit, I have never had a GPS device for all my years......... Good old map and compass.

However, Next year I am doing what I intended to do 20 odd yrs ago... Go up Ben Nevis.

For this, to back up the Paper and plastic, I bought a magellen gps system.. Oldish, but working, for a snip off the auction site.
Bought the manual for it today, hoping to have it sussed soon.

A lot of e-trex systems going on there too, around the 25-30 quid mark.

Silverback
24-06-2013, 09:53 PM
However, Next year I am doing what I intended to do 20 odd yrs ago... Go up Ben Nevis.

I'll happily tag along if you fancy the company

SimonB
24-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I'll happily tag along if you fancy the company

Thought you'd never ask dude..... In ture Yorkshire words... Tha't in. :)

Silverback
24-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Thought you'd never ask dude..... In ture Yorkshire words... Tha't in. :)

T^

roberts
23-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I have a garmin GPS gecko its only very basic but its compact and a yellow colour and takes AAA batterys