PDA

View Full Version : Bear Grylls - Mud Sweat & Tears

f0rm4t
24-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I did my back in, come Monday morning from sledging with the kids on Sunday.

I was off work and so picked up my Christmas present form my boy's. "Bear Grylls - Mud Sweat & Tears."
I'm not much of a big reader ...I finished it in three days!!!

I liked Bear (Edward) a lot anyway. Now I love him like a brother! ha ;)

This is one of the best book I've read, I couldn't put it down.

Not bushcrafty at all, but what an amazing read!

OakAshandThorn
24-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Bear may have a lot of negatives regarding his show 'Man vs. Wild', but I always believed him to be a great man at heart. Haven't read the book yet, but it definitely sounds fantastic. :D

f0rm4t
24-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Bear is bigger than MvW. He writes about that briefly at the end of the book.

The book is about "him", the show being just one part of that.

His Childhood, Family, Scouts, School, Friends, SAS(R) Selection, Love, Everest, Marriage, TV, Children.
Awesome, loved reading about him 360 degrees.

HillBill
24-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Bears a quality guy, he does loads for others, charity events etc. I liked him since i first heard about him when he did the "escape to the legion" programs. I had a laugh at how soft they got it, claiming it was the real deal. Half those guys would be dead if it was lol. but he gets a thumbs up from me. :)

rich290185
25-01-2013, 09:05 PM
i wasn't really a big fan of him before i read this but now i have alot of respect for him now. really good read too

Bob W
25-01-2013, 09:16 PM
He entertains for sure and that's what TV audiences want. His show's all a bit "bucket of s***e" from China for me though, a bit far fetched. I'd enjoy it all more if he kept it real, but hey, we've got Ray for that.

Can't comment on the book but I'd probably enjoy it.

Basha72
26-01-2013, 04:35 AM
Yep the books a good read, feel like you can really see where he came from, although I think within the book is subliminal ALPHA course influence ;-)

Even if you don't like the guy, it's still a good read, very motivational

Dave

JEEP
26-01-2013, 06:56 AM
The book is good reading inho. And, it leaves you with a much better impression of Bear, than the one you get from his TV shows.

alvino78
27-01-2013, 02:12 AM
I really enjoyed this book,real easy to read and quick too lots of short chapters and plenty of humour!!

Realearner
27-01-2013, 03:59 AM
I've heard it's good, so I think a purchase might be in order.

HillBill
27-01-2013, 09:20 AM
The book is good reading inho. And, it leaves you with a much better impression of Bear, than the one you get from his TV shows.

Did you see this one Jeep? its fairly old, well before the man vs wild programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32WoCBlW_A

JEEP
27-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Did you see this one Jeep? its fairly old, well before the man vs wild programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32WoCBlW_A

I haven't seen it yet, but I have been planning to do so for a while.

HillBill
27-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Its good. Those who have a dislike for bears other shows will love it :D

shepherd
14-05-2013, 11:52 AM
i got bear's book for xmas, iv never read a book so fast.. first book that i 'couldnt put down' im a big bear fan anyway, anyone who climbs everest, flies over it and gets in to the SAS(r) is good in my eyes. brilliant read and highly recomended.

snowleopard
14-05-2013, 01:54 PM
That shows bears real side, I think!
Tough going!

Joel

Realearner
14-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Got a second hand copy ready for me Hols as I like to relax in the sun and read. Sounds like I might need a few books if it's that good.

f0rm4t
14-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Got a second hand copy ready for me Hols as I like to relax in the sun and read. Sounds like I might need a few books if it's that good.

You'll not put it down mate! Can't think of a better place to read it. Around a pool with a gin & tonic in my hand! Enjoy pal. Gutted you're missing another meet. We'll shake hands one day mate!

Realearner
14-05-2013, 08:47 PM
You'll not put it down mate! Can't think of a better place to read it. Around a pool with a gin & tonic in my hand! Enjoy pal. Gutted you're missing another meet. We'll shake hands one day mate!

You and me both, got work coming out of me bloody ears, money nice but no time to enjoy. Will sort that soon.

ian c
14-05-2013, 09:05 PM
I have not read the book but i watched him in escape to the legion which i thought was good.

rawfish111
14-05-2013, 09:46 PM
The legion thing was good for a laugh. I liked lofty's comments about bear and Ray.. funny as hell.

The book didn't do it for me did my head in a bit the (as has been mentioned) the subtle alpha course bs... not my thing!

Got to admire the blokes enthusiasm and work for others though, all in all would love to see if he can cope with my homebrew as well as he does with raw crabs and snakes (probably has much the same effect on the digestion)

freedom
14-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Well just finished watching all 4 escape from the legion, normally I dont take the bear seriously in his other programes but enjoyed him in this one. So good on him and the other guys on completing their months training

shepherd
15-05-2013, 08:28 AM
yet to watch it... ill have to find it on youtube..

Andy Sherwood
15-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Well just finished watching all 4 escape from the legion, normally I dont take the bear seriously in his other programes but enjoyed him in this one. So good on him and the other guys on completing their months training

Yeah I have to agree. I liked this one.

yet to watch it... ill have to find it on youtube..

Here is part 1, the links on the right-hand side contain the other 3 parts...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM32 WoCBlW_A&ei=ru-TUbT2DcWUO6r3gJAP&usg=AFQjCNEUg0BVnrP6GnppfW5-it2zg22HwA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.ZWU

snowleopard
16-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I finished watching it last night. Great program!

Joel

shepherd
16-05-2013, 07:42 AM
thanks andy!

shepherd
16-05-2013, 07:42 AM
ill watch when im home from work