PDA

View Full Version : Snow where I live

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Some pictures of the snow around my neck of the woods this morning.

BJ
22-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Still a little more on the way before the weekend I believe. We haven't had any more today here in north Wales

FishyFolk
22-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Looks like you have more than me. But the forecast for tomorrow is 40cm of the stuff.
We hade some today but it blew away....

paulthefish2009
22-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Snowing here.................again :(

FishyFolk
22-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I think I'll rig up my cam in the car and make a driving vid tomorrow. Must remember to switch off the radio for my German friends though...
So you can see what snow does to traffic here (nothing) ...lol

Well, actually... we do have our muppets, like this bus driver in Tromsų...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_22qmwdvIE

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I must have shifted a few ton of the stuff, have a couple of pensioner ladies living in the street with no relatives to do it for them. I get a free coffee, that's the real reason I do it :evilgrin:
I thik we have all had our share of the stuff lately.

I had a little giggle watching the great escape from the bus, they waited till the last moment Lol. You mentioned Tromso Fishy Folk, was aiming to see the Aurora Borealis from there December/January but it's going to take 6 to 8 weeks to get a passport so will wait till next December now. Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
Dave

Ben Casey
22-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Here near Manchester airport is hardly any cool pics though mate :D

FishyFolk
22-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I must have shifted a few ton of the stuff, have a couple of pensioner ladies living in the street with no relatives to do it for them. I get a free coffee, that's the real reason I do it :evilgrin:
I thik we have all had our share of the stuff lately.

I had a little giggle watching the great escape from the bus, they waited till the last moment Lol. You mentioned Tromso Fishy Folk, was aiming to see the Aurora Borealis from there December/January but it's going to take 6 to 8 weeks to get a passport so will wait till next December now. Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
Dave

Crossing my fingers for clear skies for you then :-)

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Crossing my fingers for clear skies for you then :-)

Is December, January the best time to see the lights then.

FishyFolk
22-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Frankly I don't know. I think both months will be equally good.
But Tromsų is 185 miles north of me, so how the weather is there I really have no feel for...

But here is todays weather in Tromsų

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Troms%C3%B8/Troms%C3%B8/

steve1975
22-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Took some snow pictures on my phone while out on Penshaw Hill with the kids can't get them to display on here. What part of Country Durham you from?

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Took some snow pictures on my phone while out on Penshaw Hill with the kids can't get them to display on here. What part of Country Durham you from?

Hi steve, I'm from near Wolsingham, Weardale.

my photo's are off my mobile. I had to upload them to a file on laptop then transfer them onto here. I'm no computer wizkid and I found it difficult but got there in the end. "trial and error"

OakAshandThorn
22-01-2013, 09:58 PM
A mere centimeter accumulated last night :(. Not much snow at all this winter...so far.

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=OakAshandThorn;68265]A mere centimeter accumulated last night :(. Not much snow at all this winter...so far.[/QUOTE

I think you must of diverted your snow here LOL, 30cm in total. It melts a bit through the day then snows some more to top it up again, picturesque though and nice when you don't need to travel anywhere.

butchthedog
22-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Frankly I don't know. I think both months will be equally good.
But Tromsų is 185 miles north of me, so how the weather is there I really have no feel for...

But here is todays weather in Tromsų

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Troms%C3%B8/Troms%C3%B8/

We will just have to trust to good luck and hope we get clear weather. I was thinking Tromso is a good bet for seeing the lights, it will be a week long trip.and not so straight forward as planning a trip to Spain.

steve1975
22-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi steve, I'm from near Wolsingham, Weardale.

my photo's are off my mobile. I had to upload them to a file on laptop then transfer them onto here. I'm no computer wizkid and I found it difficult but got there in the end. "trial and error"

Used to visit weardale with friends when we were kids. Also teesdale from time to time. People at work had caravans up near your neck of the woods. Sadly I don't drive so can't get to these places theses days. My last trip was about 10 years ago. We did a section of the pennine way from near alston over cross fell and down to middleton in teesdale. Love the area.

butchthedog
23-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi steve, there are some good pretty remote places to go around here to get away from it all. I am lucky as there are only a few houses where I live so am already in the sticks, handy for walking the dog. It's wild up at Alston, the main street is very steep and cobbled, it must be a 1 in 6 hill traction in the wet is bad so in this snow it'll be good for sledging if you are brave enough. There are some remote moors up where you walked. I'm not fit enough to take anything like that on.

steve1975
23-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Cross fell is pretty remote. Don't know if I could manage it these days.

butchthedog
23-01-2013, 03:24 PM
It takes me long enough to go to the river and back, that's only a quarter mile away. Need me Calpol and a drink of milk after that epic journey.

OakAshandThorn
23-01-2013, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=OakAshandThorn;68265]A mere centimeter accumulated last night :(. Not much snow at all this winter...so far.[/QUOTE

I think you must of diverted your snow here LOL, 30cm in total. It melts a bit through the day then snows some more to top it up again, picturesque though and nice when you don't need to travel anywhere.
It would certainly seem so. Where I live, the land seems barren without any snow on the ground - plus, the temps have been down to -17 C at night. I feel like a polar bear with no snow to roll around in. :(
Maybe it's time I headed up to Vermont...

butchthedog
23-01-2013, 06:24 PM
It's not very often that we see temperatures that low in this country, though the Scottish highlands do get some low temps every winter.