PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for sleeping mats please

jus_young
16-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I know this is a topic that has come up before but please bear with me.

I am looking at having to do some ground dwelling again with Scout camps as the trees are not guaranteed for the hammock. I currently have an Ultralight self inflating mat but end up pretty much unable to walk in the morning and end up with the Scouts laughing at me as I crawl out of the tent in agony. After a ridiculous routine of realignment excersises my discs are back in place and off I go again!

Rather than continue with this embarrassing old man routine I have decided to invest in a thicker and somewhat more luxurious mat that may well get used in the hammock as well so I would like some ideas on what you use and why. I know of recent discussions on the Exped Downmats and these seem to be pretty good but what other mats are available in the 2m ish length range that pack up nice and small but with good insulating properties?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

ian c
16-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Try the ex army inflatable roll mats i used to have one when i was in we were issued with them for the Falklands they were quite thick when inflated and about 6 foot in length, otherwise why not get a camp cot then place a roll mat on top, thats if you dont have to keep moving around with all your kit.

jus_young
17-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks Ian, I will have a look at ex army mats. Any form of camp beds are definitely out of the question though as I use a Banshee 2. I would end up kissing the top of the tent!

As I class this as one of my long term investments, there is no budget limitation either, it will be a case of work to get the funds for the right product. Sometimes, however, I get it the wrong way round and buy the must have item before I have saved up the pennies which makes life a little interesting at home :ashamed:

JonnyP
17-01-2013, 07:45 AM
This mat is nearly 3 inches thick.. http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats
orrrrrrrrrrrr..
How about a bed, like the carp anglers use.. http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/6044/Fox-FX-Flatliner-Bedchairs--Post-Free-.html?referrer=GooglePRFox&gclid=CLrh4Kr_7rQCFe_MtAod4TAAmQ

Ahh, just seen yer last post.. Forget the bed

jus_young
17-01-2013, 09:19 AM
This is why I need a prompt every now and again! I have the Alpkit site on my favourites list but keep missing it for some reason. I did this when I bought my down sleeping bag, bought Rab at Go Outdoors when I had spent ages looking at the Alpkit ones but soon forgot them :zombie-fighting:

Time to have a good look I think, cheers Jonny.

claverhouse
17-01-2013, 02:36 PM
There is of course also the Exped Synmat range - slightly less insulative for about 3/4 the price of the Downmats

Kernowek Scouser
17-01-2013, 03:45 PM
I've got one of those ex army thrmarests (you can pick them up for £10-£20 online) and they are pretty good, used in a tent or in a hammock.

I've also got one of these
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/images/cache/camping/camp_beds/Polish_sleeping_mat.600.jpg
It weighs in at just over 9kg and packs down to the size of a traffic bollard, so it fails in being both light and small, but if you don't have to carry it on your back all day, it ain't half comfy :D

JonnyP
17-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I've got one of those ex army thrmarests (you can pick them up for £10-£20 online) and they are pretty good, used in a tent or in a hammock.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/images/cache/camping/camp_beds/Polish_sleeping_mat.600.jpg
It weighs in at just over 9kg and packs down to the size of a traffic bollard, so it fails in being both light and small, but if you don't have to carry it on your back all day, it ain't half comfy :D

They carry a hell of a lot of kit, them Polish soldiers.

Kernowek Scouser
17-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I believe a fully kitted up Polish infantryman is pretty unstoppable when attacking down a hill. Not so good in any other battlefield scenario, but down a hill, up there with the best of them T^

JonnyP
17-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I believe a fully kitted up Polish infantryman is pretty unstoppable when attacking down a hill. Not so good in any other battlefield scenario, but down a hill, up there with the best of them T^

Does he roll down the hill n crush the enemy..?

jus_young
17-01-2013, 09:38 PM

I can just picture myself walking across Exmoor with one of those on my back, I wouldn't have anything else though!

Martin
17-01-2013, 10:28 PM
The most comfortable night's sleep I've ever had in a tent is since I've started using a Thermarest Prolite 4. I know Roadkillphil has a Prolite too, although I can't remember which model but I know it's more up to date than mine. He loves his too.

You will be aware that Thermarests are expensive but what value do you put on a good night's sleep?

Martin

Under My Basha
23-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi everyone

After a couple of punctures I've always stayed away from inflatables (especially the army issue one) they end up coming undone and creating massive pockets of air. Always gone with the folding sniper mats they fold up to the perfect shape for shoving down your pack and make a good quick seat. HM supplies do them for £15 and last forever.

Hope this helps -mick

ADz
24-06-2013, 01:46 AM
I love my NeoAir. Small, compact and really comfy.