PDA

View Full Version : Stitching Pony

GlenM
16-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I made this yesterday, so far it stands me in £8, I copied the Tandy version which costs £99........I think I can live with that :D

I used a load of scrap stuff from the workshop, it's all hardwood except for the base which is an old softwood window sill.

I will probably cover the jaws with leather when I get some more free time but other than that it works a treat.

Glen

Ehecatl
16-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Wish I'd had one of those when I did my hammock mods. I think I may be copyingf the £8 copy.

M@

sam_acw
16-01-2013, 09:39 PM
What is it? A vice for leather?

GlenM
16-01-2013, 10:01 PM
That's exactly what it is, the idea is that your work is held between the jaws leaving you both hands to hold the three items needed to saddle stitch.

In this case the pony sits between your legs on whatever you're sitting on. Believe me they do make a difference to your speed when sewing.....not to mention the multiple self inflicted stab wounds.

Glen

Bernie
16-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Awesome job. Lovely finish and very functional. Not altogether ugly to look at either. You could keep it on the side and tell people it's a puzzle. :)

Could you make removable leather covers for the jaws? If so, it could double as a nut cracker. :D

BJ
16-01-2013, 10:30 PM
very tidy, It will give you years of use. well done.T^

jpgrilo
17-01-2013, 03:54 PM
lovely job, very good finish on the item.
~
I have also made my own stitching pony and ended making some of your design options and ended having to make some changes to it
I have 2 comment to make with the design.
1º The wing nuts. While you are stitching the thread will have tendency to get tangled in the wings 2
2º the upper part of the jaws should not be squared like you have but in an angle to facilitate the process

Something like this http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/HarleyPastor/stitchinghorse1.jpg

Best regards
Joao

JonnyP
17-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Never seen these before..

Tony1948
17-01-2013, 08:56 PM
You dont make a lot of leather knife sheaths Jonny?

GlenM
17-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah I agree with you fella, the jaws would be better if they were on an angle but in this case I have been using scrap wood I had lying around.

The Beech block were cut outs from my kitchen worktops and the other bits were offcuts from door thresholds.

I think the Tandy design has been steam bent, yours has a lot of extra work in it than mine on the jaws.

I only make knife sheaths so I have tested it on one and it works fine so its good enough for what I want.

Believe it's better than what I was using before which was nothing, I lost count of how many times I've stabbed myself, I even stabbed the dog once :ashamed:

Maybe I'll work on a mark 2 with some mods.

Glen

GlenM
17-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Never seen these before..

Hey JP

I wish I had a Leather sewing machine then I wouldn't need one, truth is saddle stitching in a PITB although its made a lot easier with a stitching pony.

I did have a Saddlers stitching horse on what I thought was permenant loan but I had to give it back..........gutted

Glen

biker-bri
17-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Big bit of leather need that third hand, some people find sewing leather tedious at best but for some reason I find it relaxing !!?
Cheers Bri