PDA

View Full Version : When is enough enough?!!

Tsaco
13-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first ever thread so just thought I'd try n get a gist of who's the most hardcore among you!!!

So, having been out with Phil n Ash a couple of times n really enjoyed it, was cold my first night in a hammock and it did rain a fair bit on the trapping course but never enough to deter anyone-what is/has been the final straw when out n about living minimally when you've thought, forget this, I'm off home to my warm chair n slippers, put the leccy kettle on, sit down on a foam filled sofa n veg out!?!? :campfire:

Looking forward to meeting you all in the near future and learning more and more about realism :happy-clapping:

Tom

AdrianRose
13-01-2013, 08:38 PM
My most memorable for discomfort would have to have been winter 3 years ago when I camped out in a hammock and it was -19c

That was a bit emotional!!

Ade.

FishyFolk
13-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I have never hit rock bottom as a civilian. And when I have not been a civillian I have had no choice in the matter, but sort of controlled as we would have been pulled out if the situation had gotten life treathening, as this was training situations in the army. And I am rather proud of myself for getting through that, knowing that you cxan always endure more than you think you can.

But this summer f.ex, if the rain got to where I would be soaked if I stayed out, I packed up and went home. I could have stayed out, but do not feel the need to prove anything. Only it could have been avoided with better gear, or just a tarp....but then I would have been bored out of my mind sitting under that tarp.

So during the latter half of the winter I will start to kit up to get my kit up to a arctic winter standards where if I conduct myself right, I will manage to stay dry, keep warm and comfy down to the temps Adrian talks about, and survive at twice that cold...I know it can be done. As I have done it with much worse kit than what I plan to aquire...only doing it in a hammock instead, and not having my squad mates to help look after me...

But then again. If things got that out of hand that I was in a survival situation, I would either go home, or if not possible, dig a snow shelter. But as the Norwegian Mountain code says...it's: There is no shame in aborting, and turn back to a safe place. Double true for me, as my physical condition is so bad, that I really have no business being out if things may turn that bad.

FishyFolk
13-01-2013, 09:13 PM
The baddest I have seen was -39 degrees celcius. But we were sheltered in a tent, with a proper snow wall, and a cold pit, with a wood stove that was red hot half a meter up the pipe, and jammed in with my squad, on top of spruce branches and reindeer hides, with the fresh recruits as wind shields around the edges *evil grin*.

The next morning the temps had risen to a balmy -29, when we pulled out and got down from the hills.

The baddest temp ever experinced was -45 at Svalbard when I grew up, and got severe frostbite in my feet, before we got back to the cabin...I can still remember the pain as my feet thawed up, and I have been plagued by cold feet ever since.

Tsaco
13-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Wow pretty extreme, like you say-there's no shame in going home! Thanks :)

FishyFolk
13-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Wow pretty extreme, like you say-there's no shame in going home! Thanks :)

Not really. It's just growing up in an arctic country. Any Alaskan, Canadian, Scandinavian, Russian, Northern Japanese or Inuit can tell the same stories. Most of them more impressive than mine.
And wit the right kit, it's not really a big problem. You just need the right kit, and know how and when to use it. And there are plenty of environments where I would be in real troeubel in other parts of the word. As I do not necesarily recognice when it's time to throw in the towel and head for home.

Here I know, because I know the climate, I know my kit and I know my limits. And most imprtantly I know that nature is a b***

Well well, I think my words are getting to large and arm-chair-know-it-all like.

treefrog
13-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I forgot to bring beer to the hunt camp one time and was forced to live for an entire week on nothing but food and water...

Old Guard
13-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I forgot to bring beer to the hunt camp one time and was forced to live for an entire week on nothing but food and water...

Nice one LOL ... nothing worse :ashamed:

Ehecatl
13-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Yes - ask Biker Bri. Nothing worse than surviving on Highland Spring water only :happy-clapping:

BJ
14-01-2013, 12:38 PM

That sort of deprivation goes far beyond normal suffering

BJ
14-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I will freely admit that I go out for enjoyment and even for a day walk if the weather is rough then I find something else to do. I carry the right kit so if it turns nasty while out I can be safe and reasonably comfortable but I have no desire to swap my comfortable bed for night of discomfort by choice. :)
BJ

David_JAFO
14-01-2013, 05:07 PM
hello,
I'm from the old skool survival, bare essentials as per selection.
In a controlled survival situation, you would only have what you wear,your
survival baccy tin & what was foraged for, as the motto say's 'To go a little further..'
so wimping out aint an option.
Like FishyFolk, I've slept in a similar snow hole in sub zero temperatures with the right kit &
know how when to use it. I'm certainly not bragging been taught by the best & regularly
hone these skills when I can.
Last cold weather exercise.. minus -34C was the coldest I recall until we were bugging (airlifted) out
the sound of the Wessex blades 'thump..thump..' was a welcome sound to anyones ears.
Hot mug of sweet tea laced with rum (Gunfire) roll (bread roll) with sausage bacon egg..yum!
Regards
David

Roadkillphil
14-01-2013, 06:04 PM
When I was 13, a friend and I went camping in the forest of bowland, specifically, Brock valley. It was cold, very cold indeed and we were using old school military ponchos and knackered down dossbags... no rollmats, and crappy waterproofs that made you sweat. It started to snow when we hit the sack and when we awoke we had to dig our way out. That morning we had loads of fun... beautiful views with lots of wildlife and tracks to spot. It was a nice day... until we were soaked to the bone and the temperature plummeted late in the afternoon. We decided to call it a day and walked a few miles to the nearest phonebox. By the time we got there I couldn't feel my toes or fingers. It took us ages to dial the right number and it took my Mum two hours to get to us due to the snow. We warmed up in the phone box with a few hexi blocks as the snow piled on. The snow got worse and didn't shift for two weeks. I firmly believe that if we attempted to stay out the next night, we'd have had it. Unprepared, rubbish kit and adverse weather learnt me one of my best lessons ever.

Cheers

Phil

fish
14-01-2013, 06:41 PM

jeez ! tone it down mate this is a family forum old chap! lol

Tigger004
15-01-2013, 10:20 PM
The most extreme ones are the one's you remember, well if you survive that is

nilo52
23-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Never fishy !! , I am looking at your "bumbling bushcrafter" VIDS and man YOU ARE AWSOME !! I doubt I could survive the things you do for fun. If you say your physical condition is no Bueno , I guess I'm near death !
A very old feeling nilo52

FishyFolk
23-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Nilo, in those vids I am sldom more than 1 kilomter from home. In my latest vid I can see the light from my living room windows trough the trees. And I was so exhausted after packing up and dragging the pulk home that I was horisontal on the sofa for hours after coming home. I am always working within my physical limitations. I could have gone longer, but the terrain here is very rough and hilly. But will go on longer trips, as there is a nice, flat valley 30 minutes drive from here with some nice trees to hang from, and a good lake to catch some trout in :-)

Chubbs
23-02-2013, 09:38 AM
as there is a nice, flat valley 30 minutes drive from here with some nice trees to hang from, and a good lake to catch some trout in :-)

Also called Heaven :)

FishyFolk
23-02-2013, 10:00 AM
The UK lads in green currently training in the area probably call it hell... lol

Tony1948
23-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Wot about Susann,last time she posted from up in the Alps she sleped out with no sleeping bag or propper tarp and there was about 6feet of snow outside..........crazy girl.......wellard:rock-on:

nilo52
23-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Just skimmed through the Norwegian Army bivoac instructions. The Norwegian are the BEST snow troops in the World !
However , If there ever is a war on the beach , California troops will DOMINATE !! :happy-clapping:

nilo52
23-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Women are by far tougher than most men I think. We (men) do not give them the credit that they deserve.
If I had to go through pregnancy I would flunk. :ashamed:

nilo52
23-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Wot about Susann,last time she posted from up in the Alps she sleped out with no sleeping bag or propper tarp and there was about 6feet of snow outside..........crazy girl.......wellard:rock-on:

Women are tough !

VEV
15-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I was about 22 years old, decided to go for a first time two day solo hike in the Torridon mountains whilst staying with my dad. I packed enough supplies to get me across the polar ice cap ( it was summer!) and food for my two dogs too. Set off with a feeling of excitement and intrepidness. Two hours in my one of my dogs cut her pad on her foot, adminstered to that and decided to head on as she was not limping. Got to 6pm found my place to pitch my tent, by now it was raining. With tent up and still raining I went to get some rocks put on top of guy ropes. On return, where are my dogs... in my tent, blood paw prints on my sleeping bag and a very pungent wet dog smell ( attracting every midge from miles around..) Having secured tent I sat miserably inside my tent competing for space with my dogs who were clearly thinking what the hell are we doing here? Unsurprisingly, didn't get much sleep but ate most of my provisions... comfort eating big time! Next morning it was still raining and I resigned myself to being defeated so packed up wet tent and staggered back home with seemingly an even heavier rucksack. I was so exhausted when I got back to the house I went to bed and did not rise till the next day. The question is was I tough?.... nope I was stubborn and a bit foolhardy.... but are women tougher than men..... well I have had two children....say no more! ;)

nilo52
16-03-2013, 04:11 AM
VEV ,

You are one tough woman for getting out there and making the best of it ! I know a lot of guy's who would have thrown in the towel. What kind of dog's do you have ? I take mine with me when I camp too. They seem to love it as much as I do ! They are VERY protective of me and my family , and bears will not mess with you (I know this from experience) when you have them in camp , nor will stranger's. T^
Nilo

bigzee
16-03-2013, 10:05 AM
W.C. Fields quote I believe: "That reminds me of one of my trips through the Samarkand..when we lost the corkscrew...we were compelled to live on nothing but food and water.....for several days" Not sure which film, it might be the bank dick?

"It's a gift" is one of the funniest films ever made - if you can find a copy of it or dig it out on YT.

Back to the original subject....err... I think Fishy Folk wins this one hands down?