PDA

View Full Version : Wild camping in Cannock Chase?

Law
10-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Anyone done this? is it good for wild camping? And before anyone says yes I'll be careful of rangers and will be doing a solo/no fire stealth camp.

Cannock Chase having been once before seems like a scaled down Dartmoor with more woodland.

Thoughts?

surplus 6
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
some of the lads at work use it for mounting biking, I've not been for 15-29 yrs. not much help for you sorry.

Adam Savage
10-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Last time I was at Cannock, almost every single parking area was occupied by doggers. I was even followed by a dodgy guy in his car, when I drove from one to the next, to try and find a non-dogging area. He followed be to 7 different places.

Might not be overly safe to wild camp there, so be careful if you do.

wardy101
13-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I live A few miles from the chase and have been Mapping out a few locations to check out in the future.... The problem with Cannock chase is there are so many trails and bike tracks over there now that it is hard to find a large enough area that you won't be spotted..you also have to take into account that there was mining on some parts of chase so it is susceptible to subsidence...and the doggers as Crazysaints222 pointed out :P

Let us know how you get on Law.

BJ
14-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Another issue appears to be poachers who are going out in the dark after the deer with either dogs or guns. The police etc have a high presence in the area to try to stop this activity so be extra vigilant.:war:

Silverback
14-01-2013, 11:39 AM
It seems to attract more than its fair share of missing person searches too you may get a rude awakening being found by dog or foot search teams

wardy101
14-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Like BJ said.poaching over the chase is a big issue right now but with all the budget cut to public srvices I dont the police spending to much time over there..specialy at night...i guess if you were found you could always say you are helping to catch poachers :p