PDA

View Full Version : Hunting licence

JEEP
09-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Tomorrow evening I am starting on a hunting licence course. Something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Hopefully I will obtain the licence around springtime.

OakAshandThorn
09-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Good for you, JEEP :).
It's a bit nitty-gritty around here when it comes to acquiring a hunting license (or permit). It also doesn't help that poachers give the local hunters a bad name.

jbrown14
09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Excellent! You've reminded me to look up the courses in my area as well.

I tried to enroll in the required hunter safety course early this past fall, but every one was filled to capacity before the enrollment date and time came around...I don't even know how that works.

Good luck!

Josh

treefrog
10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
So, what sort of game would you hunt in DK, Jakob?

JEEP
10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
In Denmark a hunting licence permits you to buy a shotgun (as many as you like actually) and allows you to hunt anything in season, up to the size og deer.

For hunting larger animals, a separate rifle permit will have to be obtained - and a shooting test will have to be passed.

AL...
10-01-2013, 10:11 AM
All the best with it Jakob :)

Cheers
AL

Primerib
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Excellent decision Jakob! I took a course early 2012 for about 3 months to acquire my hunting license. That was quite a busy time and my wife's nerves where at times a little strained. I had lessons twice a week in the evening, saturdays shotgun and rifle training and sundays repetition and tutoring on how to handle various kinds of firearms and traps. In the end I had to pass a multiple choice exam being presented with 100 questions out of a 3000 question catalog, a shooting test having to achieve 10/15 moving ground targets with a shotgun and 25/50 points standing up with a rifle on a roe buck target at 100m and lastly a practical and oral test having to demonstrate handling of weapons, identifying animals, their tracks and poop, anatomy with real guts, hunting dogs, hunting law, etc etc.

It was a difficult test but in the end it was worth it. Every hunting moment pays you back double. Especially in times like ours where moments when you simply have to turn of your phone and shut up for a while are priceless. There is nothing better than coming home from an evening or morning on the highseat with your own kill.

Have fun!

FishyFolk
10-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I got my hunting licence in 1988. I while ago but I do not think anything changed. They require you to self study a book of about 200 pages, containing the hunting and gun laws, the ethics of hunting etc. plus a recognition part where
you have to learn to recognoze wildlife that are legal and illegal to hunt. Then there was a course of 30 hours over ten evenings walking you trough the book + some extras like first aid, map and compass navigation etc..., ending with a theoretical test which is a multiple choice test of 50 questions, of which 40 answers must be correct to pass.

One of the 10 course evenings is for shooting, where you fire off 15 shotgun shells in the general direction of some clay pidgeons. If you avoid shooting the instructor and/or any bystanders , and show up sober you pass...

You then recieve a hunting that make you eligible to apply for a license to purchase any firearm that is legal for use in hunting in Norway, provided you fill the other requirements of the weapons laws.
And can hunt any animal in season up to the size of a roe. Special rules apply to ro hunting. It is concidered big game, but if you dpo not have a big game licence (see bellow) you may still hunt it with a shot gun, except in the deer season. In the deer season only rifle hunting is allowed. And to hunt any kind of big game with a rifle you need a big game lisence.

Big game license.
The big game license is obtained by going trough a shooting test. Where you have to hit a reindeer figure in the lethal area ( a circle of 30 cm in radius marked on the target) with 5 shots in one series. You must also document that you have fired 30 practice rounds before arrival at the test. The test and the practice shots must be done in the same hunting year as you wish to hunt.

If you pass you are eligible to hunt for Moose, deer, reindeer, roe, boar, muflon, musk, bear, wolf, wolverine and lynx provided the rest of the requirements for hunting these species are met.

Primerib
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Are you allowed to hunt roe with buckshot?!? In Germany the largest animals that are allowed to be shot with buckshot are geese, fox and badger. Roe may only be hunted with a rifle or a shotgun when used with slugs. I know that in Poland it is allowed to shoot Roe with large Buckshot e.g. 6mm when beating the bush. Roe are considered small game in Germany and are only allowed to be shot with bullets of at least 5,6mm diameter delivering a minimum of 1000 Joule Energy at 100m. Anything else is considered big game like wild boar, red deer or fallow must be shot with ammunition with bullets of at least 6,5mm and delivering a minimum of 2000 Joule at 100m.

It's kinda complicated...:zombie-fighting:

FishyFolk
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Are you allowed to hunt roe with buckshot?!? In Germany the largest animals that are allowed to be shot with buckshot are geese, fox and badger. Roe may only be hunted with a rifle or a shotgun when used with slugs. I know that in Poland it is allowed to shoot Roe with large Buckshot e.g. 6mm when beating the bush. Roe are considered small game in Germany and are only allowed to be shot with bullets of at least 5,6mm diameter delivering a minimum of 1000 Joule Energy at 100m. Anything else is considered big game like wild boar, red deer or fallow must be shot with ammunition with bullets of at least 6,5mm and delivering a minimum of 2000 Joule at 100m.

It's kinda complicated...:zombie-fighting:

In Norway the rule is that you can use any type of shotgun shell, as long as it the shell is filled with coarser pellets than 100 per shell (I.e the pellets must be so coarse that you can NOT get more than 100 pellets into the shell).. most people use #2 or #3 wolfram shells. Lead shells are banned and steel is outright dangerous. There is actually talk of banning hunting with slugs, as the precision is not deemed good enough. People tend to shoot at longer distances with slugs...

Primerib
11-01-2013, 04:16 AM
In my short hunting life I have never used a slug so far. Overstimating distances is quite a tricky business. I once shot a roe fawn and afterwards messured the distance...I thought I had shot at 80m but the result was 130m! Only resting on the wobbely woodrim of the highseat with nothing to rest my elbow on is not that cool for distance shots beyond 100m. Luckily the doe was killed instantly.

Lead shells here are still allowed as long you are not shooting over water. Then you must either use steel, wolfram or tungsten (or what ever other stuff is offered). In some state forests only leadfree bullets are allowed. What a pain! There is quite a heated discussion going on among german hunters and their lobby weither leadfree bullets offer the same killing reliability as regular bullets and if they are more dangerous as there is only few experience on how they deflect. And leadfree bullets are way more expensive than regular ones. That's what's bugging me most!

FishyFolk
11-01-2013, 04:31 AM
In my short hunting life I have never used a slug so far. Overstimating distances is quite a tricky business. I once shot a roe fawn and afterwards messured the distance...I thought I had shot at 80m but the result was 130m! Only resting on the wobbely woodrim of the highseat with nothing to rest my elbow on is not that cool for distance shots beyond 100m. Luckily the doe was killed instantly.

Lead shells here are still allowed as long you are not shooting over water. Then you must either use steel, wolfram or tungsten (or what ever other stuff is offered). In some state forests only leadfree bullets are allowed. What a pain! There is quite a heated discussion going on among german hunters and their lobby weither leadfree bullets offer the same killing reliability as regular bullets and if they are more dangerous as there is only few experience on how they deflect. And leadfree bullets are way more expensive than regular ones. That's what's bugging me most!

I value my eyesight to much to use steel pellets. I went mountain grouse shooting a lot. And that hunting is often done in stone scree areas. And the first time I used steel after the ban on lead, I heard the ricochets whizzing by my ears...

The thing about slugs is that the shotgu is that most shothguns are not equipped with sights that are good enough beyond 30-40 meters. Of course you can install better ones, but most people don't.

Primerib
11-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Yeah! I have combined rifle that has a single shotgunbarrel over the riflebarrel equipped with a very good zeiss 6x42 scope. I do not know the term how to call these in english. That would suit the use with slugs perfectly but so far i never came across testing that.

JEEP
24-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Not only did I pass both the written and practical tests today - I totally aced them! :D

No errors in either - and a lot of praise from the examiner!

Now the only thing missing is for the police to check that I have no serious offences on my criminal record (I have no offences on there at all) - and then I can call myself a hunter and legally purchase myself a shotgun.

BJ
24-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Congratulations. :happy-clapping:

Tony1948
24-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Well done Jakob.:happy-clapping:

JEEP
24-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks gentlemen :D

paulthefish2009
24-04-2013, 07:16 PM
T^ Well done Jakob,any idea what sort of shotgun you fancy?I recently shot a friend's fully silenced single barreled .410,eerily quiet,just went "phut", my .22 air rifle makes more noise.

Old Guard
24-04-2013, 07:27 PM
:happy-clapping: Congratulations

JEEP
24-04-2013, 07:33 PM

I have been looking at a basic O/U 12 gauge. But I haven't desided on anything yet. I am looking for a workhorse, nothing fancy.

I will also be getting a cal. 22 rifle soon - a larger bore rifle will have to wait, as I will have to pass a seperate test to obtain a hunting permit for one of those. I will probably do that sometime this fall.

Primerib
24-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Congratulations! Well done! I have a beretta 686 special 12 gauge o/u Form 1986. I love IT very much. This model is now called 686 silver pigeon. Its perhaps a bit long as it more a gun for claypigeon shooting but it has served me well whilst hunting ducks, rabbits and pigeons. A cheap workhorse are the shotguns produced by rottweil. The model rottweil 500 is nice with a single trigger. Perhaps you can have alook into those. The 500 model costs in germany new around 800 €. Don't know if they are sold in denmark. What are you favouring at the moment if you had the choice? Blaser F3...:happy-clapping: merkel 2000 :jumping-joy: you're rich aren't you???

JEEP
24-04-2013, 08:38 PM

If money was no issue I would get a Browning or Miroku.

The gun I did the practical test with was actually a Beretta Silver Pigeon - a very nice gun.

Presently I an going after a used gun. The brand is not as important as quality and whether the gun works for me.

Wardy
24-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Well done jeep, happy hunting 😄

rawfish111
24-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Before you buy the .22 it is worth checking out the .17HMR just to keep your options open. Less ricochets and a faster bullet.

Anyone wanting to do similar training in the UK check out http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_stalking_certificate_level_1.html

Enjoy!

Tommy
24-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Hello JEEP

If you already mentioned it in an earlier post I missed it, but I was wondering what game you were going to hunt?

jus_young
24-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Well done Jeep.

JEEP
25-04-2013, 06:14 AM

With a standard hunting permit and a shotgun I am allowed to hunt roe deer and anything in season smaller than that (if I have a place to hunt that is). In the beginning I will mostly be hunting ducks at sea, as it is free for any Dane with a hunting permit to do so - and you are not required by law to bring a dog.

I am really happy I managed to pass this year - as most people do not pass the first time around. The current test is quite hard (as it should be). Next year the test will be even harder. Some say way too hard; both our instructors openly admitted that they were unsure whether they could pass the new test - and they have been certified hunting permit instructors for 7 and 10 years!

JonnyP
25-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Nice one Jeep :0)
What type of ducks will you be hoping to get..?
I would also echo what Rawfish says about the HMR.

fish
25-04-2013, 09:00 AM
congratulations jeep,cant wait to see some hunting pictures. is bow hunting legal there?

Tommy
25-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi JEEP

:rock-on: you have a good variety of game to hunt. I like your choices of rifle and shotgun:cool:. Using the 12 ga with the right choke and load, you’ll be able to hunt everything in your area (but you probably already know that).

A .22lr is a must have imo. I don't like the exotic (expensive) stuff, the more expensive the ammo the less you will practice. And on paper the exotic stuff will have better ballistics but in the field you probably won't appreciate the difference.

Well good hunting JEEP and happy trails.:camping:

treefrog
25-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Good work, Jakob. Hunting waterfowl on the sea sounds fun, and sounds to me like when selecting a gun, bigger is better. Over here a lot of duck and goose hunters are
going with the 12ga mags with the 3 and a half inch chambers, or my favourite, the good old ten guage.
Fill the freezer.