04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
...New Series. On right now :)
ITV

paulthefish2009
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
recording now mate.Thanks for the heads up. Paul

jus_young
04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
At the mercy of a ten year old, his birthday and his new computer game! Will have to wait for ITV+1 :(

beermaker
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Bugger, just read this! Will also hold out for ITV+1 too! Cheers for the tip off!

Chubbs
04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Bugger, just read this! Will also hold out for ITV+1 too! Cheers for the tip off!

Same here, thanks for the tip off as well mate.

f0rm4t
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
No worries fellas, that's what we're all here for T^

Ehecatl
04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
According to their website, it's coming soon on ITV Player.

M@

beermaker
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
According to their website, it's coming soon on ITV Player.

M@

Hope so - by the time we'd got the kids to bed and I'd dealt with a broken glass shelf in the bathroom, I only managed to catch the end credits!!

Opal
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I like watching RM doing his old stuff, something along those lines will do me but not this lark, pretty disappointed really. :(

No doubt someone will say it was brilliant. :)

Chubbs
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
No doubt someone will say it was brilliant. :)

You know what mate, I'm with you.

As soon as I knew that Ray Mears was going to be on ITV again, I expected it to be pants, and that is a polite understatement. What is it with ITV, anything they make is utter rubbish. I wish people like Mears and anybody else that has a second series sticks with their original station instead of going to a commercial channel and dumbing down.

It must be the money thing because anybody with a brain would not touch ITV with a bargepole.

Thank god we still have the BEEB, and BBC4.

Neil

Silverback
04-01-2013, 10:44 PM
You know what mate, I'm with you.

Make that 3.........the production company probably made Ray hurry along in fact it wouldnt surprise me if this wasnt actually filmed by ITV at all....in my limited experience in working with TV and TV news, they do hurry you along and chop the film into something that the viewer wants...and the real thing often looks very different to the edit...In one thing I did they overdubbed my dogs bark with another one !! My pooch speaks on command and it took 2 years to train his spontaneous indication and they went and dubbed it !! Go figure

Opal
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Think yer barkin' up the wrong tree there, Sapper. :)

Silverback
04-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Think yer barkin' up the wrong tree there, Sapper. :)

I was more than a bit p'd off to be honest as the final edit and narrative doesn't actually reflect what my pooch actually does - and lets be clear I'm not talking about a Britains got talent dancing dog here either - The fact remains some companies will substitute factual accuracy for 'good telly'

paulthefish2009
05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Not one of rays finest moments,shame.He really needs to stick with the bushcraft stuff,everyone is doing nature programs. Paul

Humakt
05-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Well I loved it! And I loved the other Wild Britain series.
However.
I wish it wasn't on ITV and I wish it was on for an hour. By the time you take out the opening titles, end credits, ad break, you've barely got 20 minutes of programme!
I have found the Wild Britain series' to be really inspiring - every episode I've watched has had me yearning to get out watching wildlife. And I'm glad he's focussing on the UK rather than make the lazy choice of going to Africa (or somewhere else exotic) just to dazzle us with lions and elephants and stuff - I can relate to the UK stuff and the things he shows are things that I can realistically expect to do and see.

Am I right in saying that the Eden channel showed each episode as 1 hour? And if they were an hour, are they each half-hour episode as an hour, or two half-hour episodes? Mind you, I can't get that channel, so I'm stuffed. Are the episodes on the DVDs half hour or one hour?

I'm OK with Ray moving on from the narrow definition of bushcraft (for the record, I think that watching nature falls solidly within the wider understanding of the term). To be honest, apart from his original 'Bushcraft' series and 'Wild Food' I don't really enjoy his other programmes (Survival, Extreme Survival and the unutterable boredom that was Northern Wilderness). What would be good is if he could make a TV series based around those 'Campcraft' and 'Woodcraft' books we've all been waiting for. That's make great viewing. But I doubt many production companies would want to invest in such a niche interest. Shame, but you can't blame them.

Sorry, but Wild Britain gets a massive thumbs-up from me. It'd get two if it was on for an hour.

mr.punch
05-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Started watching it, seen it all before, got bored and switched it off.

Martin
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
At one point, did he really pretend to sneeze? It was dire, in my opinion.

Not one to stay in for, I'm afraid.

Martin

fish
05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
darn , darn , darn! the old uncle ray would have had one of those seals on a camp fire in no time! i for one wont bother with the rest of the series,kids were bitterly disapointed.

Silverback
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
What would be good is if he could make a TV series based around those 'Campcraft' and 'Woodcraft' books we've all been waiting for. That's make great viewing. But I doubt many production companies would want to invest in such a niche interest. Shame, but you can't blame them.

As i have discovered over the last couple of years, not only do you have to sell it to the production company first, but then a channel has to buy it to put on the box/DVD. Sadly the viewing public would obviously rather watch "Im a celeb, big bro dancing, and singing on ice/hot bricks and that kind of cr*p"...one day hopefully discovery/eden/history et al will pick it up

Ichneumon
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
The 'Wild Britain' series have been a bit of an anticlimax. We have come to know Ray for his earlier series which, for me, educated, informed and entertained. This just entertains. I'm not compaining, it's the sort of entertainement I can stomach. It's just not up to the standards of his early programs that had me rivetted to the screen, hanging on every word. It doesn't even score many points as a natural history program, just pretty-pretty natural history eye-candy. Unimpressive, but I'll still watch it every week.

Opal
05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll tell yer what I would like to see from Ray in Britain, show us the mushrooms that kill and those that are edible, I have books on them but I wouldn't dream of picking any until shown the real deal in the flesh.
I'd like Ray to show us the weeds we can eat and can't eat, cook them like he does in other countries. The only thing I'm confident of eating is some certain type of berries, and fish.

It's like when I took up fishing forty odd years ago, it was easier to be shown how to tie a knot than try doing it from a magazine. I don't mind him cooking stuff, I rather like that, mixing the wild edibles with his meat/fish. The basking shark sketch, I was waiting for Ray to touch the leviathan, I've seen loads of basking sharks on TV, nothing in the least bit special last night. :(

luresalive
05-01-2013, 03:57 PM
There's a million and one wildlife shows on TV and this one is no different, there was more bushcraft on the go compare advert than this, he's no Attenborough, he never will be... back to bushcraft basics Ray or don't do anything at all!!

paulthefish2009
05-01-2013, 04:43 PM
As much as like Ray, just got to agree with the above .Paul

fish
05-01-2013, 05:01 PM
There's a million and one wildlife shows on TV and this one is no different, there was more bushcraft on the go compare advert than this, he's no Attenborough, he never will be... back to bushcraft basics Ray or don't do anything at all!!

:happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping::happy-clapping:

surplus 6
06-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I take it I'm not missing much by not catching this one?

AdrianRose
07-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Hmmm. Ok so here's my two pence worth.
I agree that we all want Ray to do what we love him for, the bushcraft instruction that brought most if not all of us in this direction.

However, bushcraft to me, is an holistic approach to EVERYTHING that is outside our front door. To explain, we learn the fundamentals like fire lighting, spoon carving, shelter building etc. then we look to the wider world of bushcraft like plant ID, wild edibles, snares/traps and tracking.

But to become proficient at the last I these two we need to understand the animal itself. Where does it live, what does it eat, how does it behave when it moves, when is it most active etc etc. this then inevitably leads to a heightened awareness, understanding and love of wildlife.
This I think is where Ray is at these days and therefore fair play to him.

On a purely selfish note tho, as has been previously stated there are lots of wildlife programmes out there and Ray has brought nothing new to the table other than his "celebrity" status to what is essentially just another wildlife programme.

Given the huge increase in the popularity of bushcraft, I would prefer to have seen a "return to the grass roots" approach to Bushcraft being done as a new TV series.
Forget all the gear, the fancy handwarmers, the ultra lumen torches, the modern gas stoves, the current obsession with what should be your "EDC" key ring set up and just get back to basics.

Programmes focusing on Natural tinder selection, flint and steel fire lighting techniques, more wild foods (I loved that series), knife/axe techniques, tracking etc etc would be how I'd like to see it.

But remember he is following his own natural progression and we have to respect that.

Ade.

Humakt
07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I agree that we all want Ray to do what we love him for, the bushcraft instruction that brought most if not all of us in this direction.

However, bushcraft to me, is an holistic approach to EVERYTHING that is outside our front door. To explain, we learn the fundamentals like fire lighting, spoon carving, shelter building etc. then we look to the wider world of bushcraft like plant ID, wild edibles, snares/traps and tracking.

But to become proficient at the last I these two we need to understand the animal itself. Where does it live, what does it eat, how does it behave when it moves, when is it most active etc etc. this then inevitably leads to a heightened awareness, understanding and love of wildlife.

On a purely selfish note tho, as has been previously stated there are lots of wildlife programmes out there and Ray has brought nothing new to the table other than his "celebrity" status to what is essentially just another wildlife programme.

Given the huge increase in the popularity of bushcraft, I would prefer to have seen a "return to the grass roots" approach to Bushcraft being done as a new TV series.
Forget all the gear, the fancy handwarmers, the ultra lumen torches, the modern gas stoves, the current obsession with what should be your "EDC" key ring set up and just get back to basics.

Programmes focusing on Natural tinder selection, flint and steel fire lighting techniques, more wild foods (I loved that series), knife/axe techniques, tracking etc etc would be how I'd like to see it.

But remember he is following his own natural progression and we have to respect that.

Ade.

Here, here! Well said, that man.
I think some people are taking too narrow a definition of 'bushcraft'.
Anyway, from a purely financial point of view, why would he make such a series? Firstly, he makes money (and judging by the costs, a good amount of money) by providing bushcraft courses. Secondly, no production company would commission such a niche interest anyway.

As for the quality of his Wild Britain series. Well, yes, he has an amatuer approach (and I use the word 'amateur' with all its positive connotations and none of the negative ones), but that's also part of the appeal - I can do what he is doing. But also, is his style any less than, say, David Attenborough? Really? Don't be dazzled by all the truly outstanding photography on Attenborough's programmes - Attenborough can't take the credit for that, that's the product of the BBC. Actually, I like Ray's wildlife style (although I find him boring as hell when doing things like Northern Wilderness).
My only serious quibble with Wild Britain is that it's on ITV for just half hour. That doesn't allow room to follow a train of thought or be more investigative and incisive. I do find that disappointing.

Bushcraft is more than making a small fire to boil a zebra billy.

Silverback
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Anyway, from a purely financial point of view, why would he make such a series?

He wouldn't.....but he will probably have received a fee for the series. The production company / ITV very well will have and on the back of the recent go ads It could even be a way of financing another project. Fingers crossed eh ?

Is bushcraft such a niche market ? There has been a huge surge in the popularity of bushcraft according to Ade.... there are Bears programmes, Dual Survival, Man V Woman or whatever it is called...gone are the days of struggling to get a programme on one of the 5 channels with over 400 to go at its easier than ever (although some programmes are really niche).

What Ray has done well at is to get a programme on during that 1900 - 2100 prime viewing slot a testament to his popularity no doubt. I don't think any posters on this thread are having a go at Ray himself but more at the quick fire 20 minute format of the show which is probably down to the production team and the editor.

I like Ray, I like his style, I like wildlife, I like nature...I'm just not a fan of whoever produced/edited/formatted the show, IMHO like Humakt it should have been longer and more involved - the watching public who want to watch Ray and wildlife dont need it dumbed down.

Humakt
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Is bushcraft such a niche market ? There has been a huge surge in the popularity of bushcraft according to Ade.... there are Bears programmes, Dual Survival, Man V Woman or whatever it is called...gone are the days of struggling to get a programme on one of the 5 channels with over 400 to go at its easier than ever (although some programmes are really niche).

On the larger scale of things, then yes - I think it is niche.
With the exception of Bear, I've not even heard of those other programmes you mention and I'm someone who's 'into' these things. And, let's be honest, Bear is more about entertainment than anything else and, therefore, can be enjoyed by the voyueristic public. Which is why it makes it onto mainstream TV.
I can't see production companies giving all the effort required to make programmes for an audience of, what? Half a million. That's at most, and including people who just like watching such things vicariously. Wildlife is a favourite with a great many people, which is why wildlife programmes get made (although even mainstream wildlife programmes - e.g. Attenborough - don't get the figures of such crowd pleasers as X factor etc). Watching people make fire by rubbing sticks together, or watching someone tie useful knots is, to all intents and purpose, niche. Unfortunately.

I like Ray, I like his style, I like wildlife, I like nature...I'm just not a fan of whoever produced/edited/formatted the show, IMHO like Humakt it should have been longer and more involved - the watching public who want to watch Ray and wildlife dont need it dumbed down.

For fear of agreeing with myself, yes - that's exactly the problem with Wild Britain.

I asked this earlier, so maybe someone can confirm/deny - but on the DVD is each episode 1 hour, rather than half hour? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Silverback
07-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I asked this earlier, so maybe someone can confirm/deny - but on the DVD is each episode 1 hour, rather than half hour? I remember hearing that somewhere.

The DVD is 1 hour eps. There is a review on Amazon in which someone complains at the TVs 'cut down' format not being as good as the 1 hour DVD eps.

Dual Survival (Cody Lundin/Dave canterbury), Man V Woman are on Discovery channel i think the production company is the same that does the Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Truckers series.

As for viewing figures and commissioning programmes the production companies dont just consider the UK market but the global market too. Old cheesy favourites like Blankety Blank, Family Fortunes or the Price is Right were or are syndicated from or to other countries and the intellectual property of these programmes goes on to make people money. Simon Cowell and the X Factor/ and x country has talent would make ideal examples.

Also the different length format of the DVD is there to make the consumer/viewer want to go out and buy the DVD set because it has a larger content

blindgeekuk
07-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Personally, I really enjoyed it. I've got fed up of the bbc's over reliance on beautiful camera work and attenborough's gravelly vocal work over the top of it. The more exciting part of their nature programmes is often the 'how we filmed this' section at the end.
Ray Mears is like an excited school boy, explaining fairly complex science in fairly simple terms... its accessible and i'd rather have this series than none at all.

paulthefish2009
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Fair point mate. Paul

OakAshandThorn
07-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Ade.
I couldn't agree more :) T^.

JonnyP
07-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Watched it on itv player thingy this evening..
Well, its not Wildlife on 1, thats for sure..
I enjoyed watching it, but only because I have been to Mull and it brought back memories of superb wildlife there..
Thing is, wildlife needs to be seen in the flesh to be enjoyed as far as I am concerned. Unless its well filmed and produced like Blue Planet etc, it ain't gonna cut the mustard.

I too would like to see Ray get back to basics and show us what to eat and what not to etc, but its not gonna happen. Bushcraft has had its brief popularity and it never got that popular then. Why put out a programme for just a few of us lot, when you could be showing dolphins, otters n whales to all the pensioners who love that sort of thing.
I might watch the next one, but I might not..

paulthefish2009
08-01-2013, 05:59 AM
I will watch just because it's Ray but still think it's not one of his better works. Paul

BJ
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I will watch just because it's Ray but still think it's not one of his better works. Paul
agreed