PDA

View Full Version : New year promise

FishyFolk
29-12-2012, 06:24 PM
In Norway we have a tradition that goes way back to when we were vikings, and probably before. A man would swear an oath to complete certain things during the new year. It could be to extend the farm or invade England :evilgrin:

These days it's more "I will stop smoking" or "I will spend more time with the kids"...

So what is your bushcraft promise to yourself for the new year?

For me it is to get started on being out in trhe woods again, making more YT vids, do overnighters,
and take the kids Ice fishing, and spend more time with them outside...and be more patient when I am at it.
I tend to blow a gasket or two when they "forget" stuff like rain gear when it is obviously raining...etc...
This year I plan to just let them get wet and miserable *evil grin*

(Yes I will have spare set of dry clothes at the ready for them)

Silverback
29-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Being on a 'promise' has a different meaning here in Yorkshire.....:evilgrin: Horizontal aerobics :evilgrin:

Silverback
29-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I plan to get outdoors much more often, I'm planning a change in direction for my employment to facilitate this until the recession clears and hopefully taking on the management of some woodland

FishyFolk
29-12-2012, 07:10 PM
The part about the woodland sounds nice
I've never even heard of someone managing woods over here. It's all wild, untamed forest...

Silverback
29-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Its nearly all managed one way or another here rune....

biker-bri
29-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Good luck with the new venture then sapper
ATB Bri

biker-bri
29-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I suppose that like everyone I would like to get out more for overnighters, I keep asking locals if they know the owner of this or that bit of woodland but no luck so far,
I will have to try a few farms a little further afield - even if it costs a few bob it would be nice to have somewhere close for a regular FIX of the outdoors
Cheers Bri

Silverback
29-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Good luck with the new venture then sapper
ATB Bri

Cheers Bri

mr.punch
29-12-2012, 09:12 PM
I promise to get absolutely drunk on new years eve.
Have a prosperous one all

FishyFolk
29-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I suppose that like everyone I would like to get out more for overnighters, I keep asking locals if they know the owner of this or that bit of woodland but no luck so far,
I will have to try a few farms a little further afield - even if it costs a few bob it would be nice to have somewhere close for a regular FIX of the outdoors
Cheers Bri

I think I would go absolutely mad if I where to live in England, and have to ask for permission to go out in the woods to camp, or any other activity....

Chubbs
29-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I think I would go absolutely mad if I where to live in England, and have to ask for permission to go out in the woods to camp, or any other activity....

Thats what you get living in a near Communist country, ruled by Atos Healthcare and dictated to by a little jumped up herbert who doesn't even know the price of basics such as milk.

Bob W
29-12-2012, 11:28 PM
My new years resolution is to fail in every one I set myself, can't really lose!!

Old Guard
30-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Good Post FishyFolk

Mine are :

1, To buy a new Hammock (so I can give old one to Grandson :))

2, To thin out my kit, to make my sack lighter (must be a universal law - pack weight x age = fatique factor :eek:)

3, To get a bigger tarp, with removable doors

4, Find a piece of ground that is local to where I live and get permission to camp (yes, I know that's the 'holly grail')
- I have been using google earth to locate wooded areas that are 'land locked' on farms in the area and have started
- doing discrete reccy's on them. With a view to contacting the owners of the best sites.

OG

HillBill
30-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Good man. :) "Lifes not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain" ;)

Mine is to diversify my knifemaking away from mainly bushy knives, to learn bow and arrow making, get competent at smithing, learn traditional carpentry and to build a machine considered by science to be impossible to make ;)

I plan to get outdoors much more often, I'm planning a change in direction for my employment to facilitate this until the recession clears and hopefully taking on the management of some woodland

HillBill
30-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Catch 22.:) For if you fail at every one you make, then you have not failed at this one, which means you've already lost :p

My new years resolution is to fail in every one I set myself, can't really lose!!

Bob W
30-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Catch 22.:) For if you fail at every one you make, then you have not failed at this one, which means you've already lost :p

:confused2:

:o

Tigger004
30-12-2012, 10:40 PM
It's such an issue locally and no small woods for sale, that I have considered buying a larger wood and selling most of it. just to obtain a area I could use regulary and have no problems. (not as easy as it sounds though)

I want to do more outdoors stuff and combine this with getting slimmer. that's a hard promise to keep

HillBill
30-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Seriously? :)

Its kinda like betting someone your never gonna bet again, but by making the bet, you have already lost the bet..... that make sense?

:confused2:

:o