PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft Quiz

Sar-ian
24-12-2012, 12:00 AM
The rules are very simple : no right or wrong answers, just your answer... just answer which is your prefered option and why...

1, sunrise or sunset (sunrise, the start of a new day, and the experiences that may come)

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, ( spring, as all the new life bursting out )

3, swinger or ground dweller ( ground dweller, but maybe converted)

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin ( fur, the taste )

5, climate hot or cold ( cold, easier to keep warm than to keep cool)

answer the questions on the previous post,

feel free to add your own questions ( max additional 2 questions per post

sorry rules updated....

BJ
24-12-2012, 09:43 AM
1. Sunrise - The promise of another good day,
2. spring - when Nature starts to wake from the winter sleep.
3. Both - equally good for different reasons.
4. Feather - Ask anybody what something new is like and the reply is always "tastes like chicken"
5. Hot - I operate better at higher temperatures and hate cold feet and condensation.
BJ

luresalive
24-12-2012, 09:53 AM
1, sunrise or sunset ..depends

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, ..depends

3, swinger or ground dweller ...depends

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin ..depends

5, climate hot or cold.. depends

FishyFolk
24-12-2012, 10:26 AM
1, sunrise or sunset? : Both. In summer they are mere minutes apart up here

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter: Summer...we do not have spring.

3, swinger or ground dweller: Born again swinger

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin: Fur: Vegetables are vegetables, fish is fish, chicken is chicken and meat is food....

5, climate hot or cold: Hot...I miss Asia

feel free to add your own questions ( max additional 2 questions per post)[/QUOTE]

biker-bri
24-12-2012, 12:10 PM
1, sunrise or sunset,- Both - sunrise brings the excitement of a new day, sunset the memories of a day past

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, - Spring and Autumn as they have shades of the other two within them

3, swinger or ground dweller, - a combination of both as you will find out in march

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin, - Any of them but my favorite is wool

5, climate hot or cold, somewhere in between

feel free to add your own questions ( max additional 2 questions per post)

Cheers Bri

Humakt
24-12-2012, 05:52 PM
1, sunrise
I love the soft light, the calm, the way everything is starting and the world is just waking and the potential of what the day has ahead.

2, autumn
The cooler, more civilised, temperatures after the humid and sweaty UK summer. Also the colours. And it's a good time for foraging - nuts and berries, and fungi.

3, ground dweller
This was more difficult. I have started using a hammock more now, but on balance I think ground dwelling is best - less to carry, so the lighter option; less dependent on trees (of the right size, distance apart, etc) so more versatile.

4, to eat, fur
I'm a very poor carnivore. There aren't many meats I eat, and those I do (just pigs and chicken) have to be free-range and ethically reared.

5, climate - neither hot or cold
Oh, I hate it when people say either 'both' or 'neither' - just doesn't enter the spirit of things. But I don't like the hot (18C+) or cold (5C-). I like it inbetweeny. I like mild weather. Pullover weather. I hate cold and I hate hot. On balance, I'd sooner it be cooler than warmer, but not really cold (although I think my idea of 'mild' is some people's idea of 'cold'.

OK, I'll add a question:

6, Plants or Wildlife?
Like everyone else here, I am interested in both, but the first spotting guide I grab is for birds. So for me it's wildlife.
But since I have more than one pocket I can also grab the trees and fungi ones as well. But birds is the first one...

Ehecatl
24-12-2012, 07:28 PM
1, sunrise or sunset ~ Sunset cos it'll be time for the camp fire!

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, ~ autumn - such beautiful colours

3, swinger or ground dweller ~ Ground dweller (see 4)

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin ~ Fur

5, climate hot or cold ~ cold - you appreciate the campfire more

feel free to add your own questions ( max additional 2 questions per post)

Additional #1: Bitter or larger?

Additional #2: Britney Spears or Ray Mears?

fish
24-12-2012, 08:14 PM
1, sunrise .special to me as i have seen few,ime more of a late night sort...

2, spring,promise of new growth and everything springign into life,lots of greens available after the long winter.

3, swinger ,i dont sleep as well in my bed and we arte considering hammocks at home.

4, to eat, fur. i am a hunter i need red meat.

5, cold, love it easy to cool off easy to warm up by a nice fire.

fresh food ,hate dehydrated food wish i knew more about whats edible here.

cammo prefer wearinf dpm,child of rambo.

Sar-ian
24-12-2012, 09:29 PM
The rules are very simple : no right or wrong answers, just your answer... just answer which is your prefered option and why...

1, sunrise or sunset (sunrise, the start of a new day, and the experiences that may come)

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, ( spring, as all the new life bursting out )

3, swinger or ground dweller ( ground dweller, but maybe converted)

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin ( fur, the taste )

5, climate hot or cold ( cold, easier to keep warm than to keep cool)

sorry rules updated....

6, plants or wildlife, got to be wildlife, basically anything with lungs, does it for me..

7, bitter or lager, lager, love the fizz (LOL)

8, Britney Spears or Ray Mears, tuffie but Ray for me, could listen all day to the tales to tell

9, fresh food or processed food, fresh food especially fruit

10, everyday clothing, whatevers comfortable

OakAshandThorn
24-12-2012, 11:00 PM
1 - Sunset and sunrise: Both are beautiful and the most peaceful times of the day (for me). I love dawn just as much as I love dusk.
2 - Autumn: You just 'gotta love New England foliage in late October ;). Quite stunning colours, especially around the Adirondacks and Catskills. Plus, the temps are just right, not too cold or too hot.
3 - Swinger and ground dweller: It mostly depends on what I fancy at the time.
4 - Fin: Nothing like a good salmon sizzling on a fire.
5 - Neither: I prefer temps to be in the middle, not too hot or too cold. 16 C is perfect :).
6 - Plants: The trees and me get along quite well. ;)
7 - Lager: I've only tasted both, but I'd probably go with lager for the fizziness.
8 - Ray Mears: Wonderful man...he's an Inspiration to us all. He has so much to tell, and I'd never get bored listening ;).
9 - Fresh food: Processed food tastes like...well, you know I mean. Always fresh and (preferably) organic - good for body, mind, and spirit.
10 - Everyday clothing: I prefer forest colours and plaids.

Tigger004
24-12-2012, 11:32 PM
1 - Sunrise - a new begining
2 - Spring - I'm a biker, enough said
3 - Swinger - Comfortable and more relaxing for me
4 - Fur - All to do with texture and a little inner caveman thrown in for good measure
5 - Temp - Comfortable suits me, but I'd rather freezing cold than wet any day, wet is depressing

alvino78
25-12-2012, 08:51 AM
sunset, bring on the night by the fire
spring,fresh and new
swinger,likes to chill
fur, meat meat meat
cold,need fire
anything green,beautiful
real ale,all about prep
mears for the ears!!!
fresh and crispy
comfy and breathable nothing worse than strangulation!

Tommy
06-08-2013, 07:44 PM
1) Sunrise, the best time to hunt and fish.
2) Summer, it's easier to do stuff.
3) Tent, so I can snuggle up to my woman.
4) Fur, I just like the taste.
5) Cold climate, because it's what I am use to.
6) Plants, specifically trees. For now.
7) Hydroponic
8) To hell with Ray I'm spearing Britney.
9) Fresh food of course.
10) Half my cloths come from the salvation army thrift store. So who cares, I don't.

11) Solo or buddy

I have a camping buddy (my wife).

Ranger
07-01-2015, 06:23 PM
-Sunrise
-Spring (or in Florida, winter is 70 degrees consistently until February)
-Both, but mostly ground dweller
-fur because of tanning hides. (I thought that you were talking about about eating literal fur, a feather, or a fin haha)
-What do you mean by cold? I can live very comfortably at 60 as that is cold for florida, but not 20 and below. If that's the case then I choose the florida summer which is the hottest by far!
-plants
-no comment
-means, he's pretty smart
-fresh
-

FishyFolk
07-01-2015, 07:41 PM
1, sunrise or sunset (never awake for sunrise, so sunset it is :-) )

2, spring, summer, autumn, winter, ( Autumn, great colors, sharp air, no bugs )

3, swinger or ground dweller ( Swinger, will never sleep on the ground again)

4, to eat, fur, feather or fin ( all of them )

5, climate hot or cold ( Hot...tired of snow)

sorry rules updated....

Ranger
07-01-2015, 09:40 PM
What about full tang vs rat tail tang knives? How about bow drill vs hand drill?

TheDaddy187
08-01-2015, 03:14 PM
sunset... time for the fire dinner and relax after a day collecting firewood and making a home from home
spring... not too hot, not too cold... fresh crisp air
ground dweller... though admittedly i have never used a hammock, but i camp with the dog and i cant imagine how awkward that would be
either... food is food
cold... its easier to get warm when cold than to get cold when warm
animals... flowers and wood grains are fascinating, but animals are more fun and rare to see
lager... i find it more refreshing
ray... his knowledge alone would entertain me
fresh... but sometimes i prefer the convenience of ready meals
whatever i got on... generally appropriate for the expected weather
full tang... i prefer the strength and the look

Magicdave
30-03-2015, 09:25 PM
1. Sunrise : I once told an ex girlfriend that I loved sunsets as it meant I was about to spend the night with her, she replied that she loved sunrises as as it meant she got to spend the rest of the day with me. Maybe it sounds romantic or maybe cheesy, but needles to say the difference in thinking is probably what lead to the ex-girlfriend thing. So sunrises as I learned my lesson.

2. Spring & Autumn equally: Spring as it means the winter is over, Autumn as it means the midges are over.

3. Ground Dweller: I like to camp well above the tree line, but hammocking is getting me curious.

4. Fin: I do love it all, but sea food, not specifically finned seafood, is the ultimate for me.

5. “climate hot or cold” Damn! : I prefer it on the colder side of warm, I suppose I prefer extreme cold to extreme heat, and extreme cold has great excuses to share body heat.

6. Wildlife: Birds of prey are the most amazing creatures on the planet, for me.

7. Bitter: or any other beer than lager. Unless it’s Italian, they have some nice lagers on the go.

8. Brittany: No offence to Ray, but see answer 5.

9. Fresh: Obviously.

10. Lightweight, breathable & quick drying. But not bright colours (Unless the sale price is too tempting): Pack small, dry quick and don’t look like a rescue waiting to happen.

11. Solo: I do like to go in company, especially with my Dad. But going solo you have the option of having “Me time” away from the regular routes, or meeting lots of new people as you journey on the more common routes.

12. Full Tang: Only if the choice was definitive. For heavy duty general purpose the advantages are big, but for wood carving they are unnecessary.

13. Hand drill: Again, only if the choice was definitive.

Added question:

14. Salt water or fresh water?: Salt water, I love the taste of the sea. (Answer doesn't have to be cuisine related)

wildwanderingwoodsman
16-05-2016, 12:32 AM
1. Sunrise, Each new day is a gift

2. Winter, I love to wake up to Jack Frost's graffiti, light the fire and a hot cup o tea to start the day

3. Swinger, old back cant take ground dwelling no more.

4. Whatever is available, but if i had an abundance of all 3 probably fur

5. Cold, Unfortunately I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis, which causes heat intolerance. As much as I love the sun, my body doesnt. Still in shorts and t shirt when its frosty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk