PDA

View Full Version : "Skins 'n Things" Climbing with my Nordic Backcountry Gear

susannewilliams
20-12-2012, 04:38 PM
http://youtu.be/p1gS65RJD4E

FishyFolk
20-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Nice video. I need to get some of those for my mountain skis. Mountain skis is a direct tranlation, so I guess you would call them back country skis. Mine looks very much like yours .-)

Ben Casey
20-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Great Vid :)

AL...
21-12-2012, 09:26 AM
That was well cool Thanks for postin lass :)

Cheers
AL

susannewilliams
21-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Keepin em comin. Thanks for the encouragement!

Tigger004
22-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I know nothing about skis or skiing, found this interesting, not something I had thought about before,, thanks

susannewilliams
22-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Really an excellent way to get around rolling landscape in deeper snow. Boreal forest peoples have their tricks when the snow is deep enough to drown in. ;-)

Ben Casey
22-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I used to hate Langlauf but downhill was more fun my ex in Bayern used to laugh at me all the time as most off it I went backwards or fell over LOL

Grüß Gott :D

FishyFolk
22-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I used to hate Langlauf but downhill was more fun my ex in Bayern used to laugh at me all the time as most off it I went backwards or fell over LOL

Grüß Gott :D

The UK and Dutch Royal Marines do their winter training in and around my home town, so we have free comedy shows out in the hills every year. But some of them are getting pretty good.
One of my wives friends husband is one of them, he's been coming here for 15 years, and love the hills so much he's talking about moving here for good once his 20 years is done. :-)

Ben Casey
22-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I would have moved to Bayern but it went pear shaped LOL

The UK and Dutch Royal Marines do their winter training in and around my home town, so we have free comedy shows out in the hills every year. But some of them are getting pretty good.
One of my wives friends husband is one of them, he's been coming here for 15 years, and love the hills so much he's talking about moving here for good once his 20 years is done. :-)

JonnyP
22-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I know nothing of skiing, but I thought that the idea was to skim over the snow while going downhill. You have ski'd (skiid, skeed ?) uphill, and then you seem to be walking downhill..! Am I missing something..?

I once bought me a pair of ski's (skis?). I always fancied trying it and when I saw some for sale in my local free ad, I bought me 2 ski's and boots for £40. I waited years for it to snow, and then one year we had good (ish) snow.. I took my 4x4 up the nearest good hill (Box hill in Surrey) and strapped the things on. I went in a straight line for about 5 meters and then fell over.. I have never ski'd since.. There are many English people who go skiing every year and come back with broken bones.. English people should not be skiing imo, it ain't natural..

FishyFolk
22-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I know nothing of skiing, but I thought that the idea was to skim over the snow while going downhill. You have ski'd (skiid, skeed ?) uphill, and then you seem to be walking downhill..! Am I missing something..?

I once bought me a pair of ski's (skis?). I always fancied trying it and when I saw some for sale in my local free ad, I bought me 2 ski's and boots for £40. I waited years for it to snow, and then one year we had good (ish) snow.. I took my 4x4 up the nearest good hill (Box hill in Surrey) and strapped the things on. I went in a straight line for about 5 meters and then fell over.. I have never ski'd since.. There are many English people who go skiing every year and come back with broken bones.. English people should not be skiing imo, it ain't natural..

Hehe, over here we start them early. My two year old will find a pair of skis under the tree this year :-)
Had loads of fun last year when the wife, who is from Thailand, put on the skis last year. She had a real go at it, but after a fall that had her bum hurting for 3 days she gave them up. I am getting her a pair of
snow shoes this year, so she can come with me and the two year old. She should be able to keep up with him for a while on those, lol

JonnyP
22-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Hehe, over here we start them early. My two year old will find a pair of skis under the tree this year :-)
Had loads of fun last year when the wife, who is from Thailand, put on the skis last year. She had a real go at it, but after a fall that had her bum hurting for 3 days she gave them up. I am getting her a pair of
snow shoes this year, so she can come with me and the two year old. She should be able to keep up with him for a while on those, lol

You guys need to ski though, its in your blood and all that.. We just need to learn how to paddle and hold an umbrella

FishyFolk
22-12-2012, 07:55 PM
You guys need to ski though, its in your blood and all that.. We just need to learn how to paddle and hold an umbrella

Yup, never understood the thing about snow shoes. looks very tiring to walk on them. Tried it for about 50 meters when in the army, and went to get my skis...besides, it's the only sport we are any good at...lol
But can curb my enthisiasm, but then I hate walking as well. To bad either skiing or walking has to be done in order to get to the places I want to be...

Well well, the plan was for this winter to be the winter I got my skis under me again. My test runs before the surgery showed that I have become a total wimp once the planks come on. So I'll need this winter to toughen up again. I'll do that while teaching the runt to ski, and then next year take them out for more serious stuff. Luckilly ther eis plenty of good places near roads to use them around here, and skiing season last until june....lol

susannewilliams
22-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Well usually yes indeed. ;-) You ski down and use some other way of getting up the hill.

In this case a vehicle had been down the track and carved huge icy 2ft deep ruts into it that I could in no way ski, and the rest of this hill is covered in cliffs. So walk down that part we did.

Skiing down is more fun of course, and uphill as steep as that is best with the skins.

Parodoxical - yes

susannewilliams
22-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Skiing is The Angels' way of telling you they love you really.