PDA

View Full Version : Going heavy

FishyFolk
18-12-2012, 07:31 AM
I am seriously considering getting myself a pulk. My physical condition does not allow me to carry much over distance, and with a pulk I could more comfort items with me. F.ex cutting branches for insulation is not always possible here, as the spruce trees are plantations. And all other suitable growth is covered in snow, so insulation from the ground have to be carried too. The best option is reindeer skins (heabvy and bulky), a 5 season sleeping bag (bulky and heavy), and a good insulating mat, aggain bulky)...

And if I go the hammcok way as I plan, I'll still need a 5 season sleeping bag, a heavy under quilt, a big tarp that will keep the wind and snow out, etc. + extra clothes a snow shovel, full size axe, a good saw. Up here in the arctic you can't mess around wityh little garden saws and hatches out there....
A pulk also means more fuel, good food instead of freeze dried powder, etc. I absolutely recomend them. In England with little snow, you could use one of these bicycle trailers. They have huge wheels so should get across the land easily on your foot paths, even in moderately heavy terrain.

Well, well, it may not be this winter.

AL...
18-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a plan mate and you can pop the wee fella on the top of it to :D
Hope yer gettin better my friend.

Cheers
AL

TheOutdoorist
18-12-2012, 08:25 AM
If we had the snow I would defiantly get one myself, sounds a good plan :)

Chubbs
18-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I have the same problems due to a bad back. Its not so much what I do at the time but more the consequences a day or so later. I bought an old golf trolley and now strap my kit to it. Now that I have a hammock wrapped up and ready to open on Christmas day I will be seriously looking at lightening my load for future camps.

FishyFolk
18-12-2012, 09:34 AM
If we had the snow I would defiantly get one myself, sounds a good plan :)

Problem solved:
http://www.merida.no/getfile.php/974695.678.bqbpxefafe/2000x2000409052.jpg

FishyFolk
18-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a plan mate and you can pop the wee fella on the top of it to :D
Hope yer gettin better my friend.

Cheers
AL

Yeah, the little one can have a rest on top of it. But his first skis will be under the the tree this x.mas. Just hope we get more snow. The snow we had earlier is all we've had so far. And that has been rained on,
then it froze, so everything is now covered in 10 cm of ice...

Else I am out and about doing some chores now. The stitches and bandages are off, and I fell more normal by the day. Just get tired quickly and still banned by the doc to carry anything. Or do any activity where my stumach muscles get used. The reason is that they are so strong that I risk ripping open the wound. It is virtualy inly the healed skin that is holding me together, until the layers underneath knit together...

But gagging to get out in the forrest...so I may get dressed up and drive to the park and walk there (cleared foot paths, plenty of sheltered places to rest, free wood for camp fires). Problem is it's so icy, and if I fall, I may bust up the wound again. So please let us have som snow!

biker-bri
18-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Stay safe mate it will still be there tomorrow - but maybe not on the 22nd :p
Good to see your getting better Cheers Bri

treefrog
18-12-2012, 01:30 PM
If you get a pulk, wouldn't mind seeing a review, Rune. I've often thought of trading the toboggan for one.
In my younger years I did my trapline with a snowmobile, but now I like the idea of burning a few excess middle-aged calories..

Jack

FishyFolk
18-12-2012, 01:52 PM
If you get a pulk, wouldn't mind seeing a review, Rune. I've often thought of trading the toboggan for one.
In my younger years I did my trapline with a snowmobile, but now I like the idea of burning a few excess middle-aged calories..

Jack

I'd like one my Fjellpulken, but they are very expensive. So it will be an old used one. Or I'll get one of those plastic cargo sleds and convert it to a pulk. Thats simple enough, just
kit it up with the pull system and harness of a modern pulk.

Fjellpulken

I must stress that this is very much a future plan.
I got hammock, sleeping bag, under quilt and tarp to buy first...

And I have found a sleeping bag. A Norwegian company makes a good winter bag. The Isbjørn Jan Mayen. Rated down to -40 celcius extreme and -22 comfort as tested by SINTEF.
And they will make them per your specs when it comes to size. Lars Monsen used one when he crossed Canada from coast to coast by dog sled and canoo...
Price: 200£ (and that is cheap for a bag like this. But it weighs 3 kilos....