PDA

View Full Version : Do I need license for amateur fishing in Scotland?

HarryLFH
13-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Silverback
13-12-2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/Salmon-Trout-Coarse/recreational

http://www.fishingnet.com/misc/law.htm

hope these help Harry

AL...
13-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Aye Harry Welcome to the fourms mate.

ye wont need a Rod license mate but you will need a fishing permet for which ever river you fish on.
Most beats will give day tickets But Sea fishing you dont need anything but a Rod and some bait.
Hope thats a help.

Cheers
AL

David_JAFO
13-12-2012, 02:04 PM
hello Harry,
Check also with the Local Post Office for the area as they usually supply Permits too.
Where were you hoping to 'wet a line' anyway Harry?
Good luck anyway with your research :wink:
Regards
David
[QUOTE=AL...;63448]"ye wont need a Rod license mate but you will need a fishing permet for which
ever river you fish on. Most beats will give day tickets.."

HarryLFH
15-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Firstly I was actually thinking of trying to do some fishing in the Clyde river but it seems that it is not so healthy please to do that.

So I was planning doing something in Loch Lomond where I will try to camp soon.

and since I dont have a fishing rod here, I was thinking of doing the hobo style ;D

AL...
15-12-2012, 11:37 AM
If yer gonna do that Harry best not say so mate .. The fishing season is closed . Starts again in Feb for Salmon and April for trout.

Cheers
AL

HarryLFH
15-12-2012, 05:29 PM
If yer gonna do that Harry best not say so mate .. The fishing season is closed . Starts again in Feb for Salmon and April for trout.

Cheers
AL

hmm is it still illegal if I put the fish back to the lake?

You see I have no intention to keep the fish.

by the way I just realize that next to my name, it is saying "Hobo". I dont think that`s random lol

Opal
15-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Harry, welcome, mate, I've fished Loch Long many years ago, the best ragworm ever (up to 2ft in length), huge, is easily dug at Ardentinny, we used a fork where maybe six to eight rag would end up on the tines, would love to go back.

AL...
15-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Aye harry even if ye throw them back mate . But Like I said earler you can sea fish no problem at any time of the year so Thats always worth a thought mate .

Cheers
AL

David_JAFO
16-12-2012, 06:38 PM
hello HarryLFH,
Both River Clyde & Avon right on my door step (stones throw BTW) :wink:
Clyde stretch nearby IMO I wouldn't wet a line there but further along yes,
definitely the Avon, a 15 minute bus ride & your on to another stretch of the
River Clyde or the River Mouse 'Moose' (Scots word for Mouse, not a Moose as in Elk)
River Calder. All wild Brown Trout, Salmon, Greyling fishing, off course there's
also some stretches that cater for Course fishing. I posted details on the forum
sometime ago 'Visit Scotland.com' Loch Lomond
http://www.goscot.co.uk/east/fish_east/fish_chon.htm
I've been there many a time Survival/Bushcraft Courses.
I'm sure you will find somewhere to wet a line 2013.
Regards
David

Firstly I was actually thinking of trying to do some fishing in the Clyde river but it seems that it is not so healthy please to do that.
So I was planning doing something in Loch Lomond where I will try to camp soon.
and since I dont have a fishing rod here, I was thinking of doing the hobo style ;D

HarryLFH
17-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys. You made my day.

You see when I firstly moved to Glasgow I wanted to go for fishing but after emailing dozens of angling clubs , angling shopping centers etc I couldnt get a decent place where I could just go for fishing for fun. Those who did reply said that I should go much further out which pretty much ruined my plans.

David_JAFO
22-12-2012, 08:29 PM
hello Harry,
Your from Glasgow? If so.. your right on the River Clyde lots of great
spots right on your door step some I'm aware no licence required, or jump on the train/bus
to Lanark (Clyde/Avon) 45 mins or less plus you have a great angling shop next to the
Buchanan Street Bus Depot not to forget Crockets Iron Mongers (upstairs) some of the
best tackle & advice from the Pro's :wink:
I thought you were from another part of the UK BTW..:ashamed:
Ketchup L-8-er!
Regards
David

Thanks a lot guys. You made my day.
You see when I firstly moved to Glasgow I wanted to go for fishing but after emailing dozens of angling clubs , angling shopping centers etc I couldnt get a decent place where I could just go for fishing for fun. Those who did reply said that I should go much further out which pretty much ruined my plans.

HarryLFH
30-12-2012, 11:18 PM
David what is the closest place I could go to wet a line for fan if I live 5 minutes away from george square?

David_JAFO
31-12-2012, 05:18 PM
hello,
The Clyde is right on your door step. Head down to Central Station, Bridge Street,
Clyde Street, road bridge runs straight over the Broomielaw either way. Pop into one
of the afore mention angling stores or Crockets (upstair) I'm sure any of these will
give you their expertise knowledge of the best spots or the main Post Office Glasgow
should supply a permit also?
I do follow what you mean BTW maybe your looking for somewhere more secluded?
Have a browse also using Google Earth.
Regards
David

David what is the closest place I could go to wet a line for fan if
I live 5 minutes away from george square?

HarryLFH
01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
hello,
The Clyde is right on your door step. Head down to Central Station, Bridge Street,
Clyde Street, road bridge runs straight over the Broomielaw either way. Pop into one
of the afore mention angling stores or Crockets (upstair) I'm sure any of these will
give you their expertise knowledge of the best spots or the main Post Office Glasgow
should supply a permit also?
I do follow what you mean BTW maybe your looking for somewhere more secluded?
Have a browse also using Google Earth.
Regards
David

haha yea I am for a lonely spot. I dont really care about catching a fish , but catching one is always nice to have that surprise blood wave in your head ;p Just so I can relax and not care whether people are watching me or not as I am a loner ;p

David_JAFO
07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
hello,
I've had time to browse through Google Maps of the area close to where
you live for the Broomielaw & Kelvin Grove areas of Glasgow out
towards Clydebank & Dumbartonshire.
I've done some serious walking/bushcraft out & about in these greater areas,
you will have to check details for fishing permits along such.
Have a browse at Google Maps for these local areas closer to home, follow the
Clyde & any of the tributaries from such along towards Kelvin Grove.
'Local knowledge' as there's always someone fishing around the area
who can given you their opinion on where's best to fish/bait etc..
If you want to travel slightly further afield I would suggest head out
towards Clydebank or Dumbartonshire. I'm having issues uploading the
zip file from Google Maps PM your e-mail & I'll zip you some details or if you
want to chat in more detail, your call.
Regards
David