PDA

View Full Version : Too old for this, or maybe just too unfit

Tigger004
09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I’ve never been before, but I went to Italy with the wife this week, she was working and I had a nice lot of time to myself.

We were based just outside Pozzilli near Isernia in a lovely Italian valley surrounded by mountains.

I had no transport so I went for a walk with the intention of reaching the summit of a mountain (with a huge cross on top) near Venafro.

I set off early morning in beautiful sunshine but everywhere was still frozen. I walked about 3 miles into the town of Venafro and visited the Cathedral.
Picked up some local food for my pack and armed with a hiking satnav, a compass and a poor topographical map for backup, off I went.

I started off through olive groves from a elevation of about 600ft up to about 1100ft, it was fairly steep but a steady assent and good under foot, then the groves finished and so did the steady uphill plod.
The terrain turned into a fairly dense wooded area with loads of zigzagging up to about 2800ft by which time I was beginning to be aware of my heels, my heart rate and my heavy legs, lots of backtracking and picking other routes was taking its toll on me and the hours.

Along the way I came across fungi, a lizard and several snakes, I did take photographs and also of what I thought to be a slow worm, but not being 100% I sure, made the most of my lens, the ones I suspected of being poisonous I didn’t even try to film (more interested in keeping away).

My senses eventually overcome my stubbornness and I conceded my target of the cross and a terrific photo opportunity overlooking the valley from 3100ft, so close but so far, only about another 400 linear feet but an even steeper assent.
I was aware of being on my own and sunset only a few hours away, the area was also covered with a light tree canopy which meant darkness would fall slightly earlier.

I turned back and using the trackback on the satnav was quite glad to be going downhill, eventually I broke back into the Olive groves sat on part of a tiered wall and made a brew with my hobo stove.
Made my way back down to the town, had a coffee in a quaint little café and set off for the hotel, My left heel was now blistered and sore, It seemed like a very long 3 miles back. Also my heel virtually confined me to the hotel the next day but it was very much worth the experience, as you can probably tell by the waffling.

I have attached a few photos, I hope you enjoy them, some of you experts will be able to identify my finds.

Thanks for reading and looking.

TheOutdoorist
09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
It is a slow worm :)

Love the second picture, the hills do sometimes take it out of you but the view is worth 100 photographs

Bob W
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Looks like a slow worm to me, literally a legless lizard and not a snake. I had one in my early teens, captured from a dry stone wall whilst visiting relatives in Wales and kept in a small fish tank and fed on slugs I picked out of the garden.

Great pics!!

BJ
09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
That's a tidy climb, but worth the blisters. :cool:
BJ

alvino78
09-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice!!

OakAshandThorn
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Fantastic place, Italy :D. And I'd make a handy translator ;).

BushcraftJustin
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Nice, and fantastic pics... I love Italy!... looks like a slow worm to me too :)

SimonB
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Beautiful scene the second pic... Great effort on getting up it as far as you did.

Modvitnir
17-12-2012, 10:52 AM
As other people have said, it is a slow worm! They're beautiful creatures, aren't they? I saw one for the first time whilst on holiday on the Isle Of Wight. Wasn't sure what it was at first until a passer by stopped next to me and excitedly picked it up. Not sure whether he should have done that really as the little blighter took a snap at his hand.. but he dodged it.

Aslso sounds like the altitude got to you a little bit there too... but sounds like you had a fun adventure!

Tigger004
17-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your comments