PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner is safe!

Primerib
08-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Today at 0440 pm this deer fawn finally came into perfect shooting distance after fooling me twice. But no chance against my 7x65R at 60m. :p

Excuse the poor image quality. Was taken with my cellphonecam and a headlight spot. With about 14kg gutted it should be well enough for the hungry family.

AL...
08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Good shootin there mate :D
Thats gonna feed a few folks Im thinkin and there is no better meat on the Planet.

Cheers
AL

Primerib
08-12-2012, 08:35 PM
You can't find a more organic product. 100% natural!

Bushdoctor
20-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys.

Theres nothing better than hunting for the pot, thats how nature intended it to be.
Good shot and good hunting mate.
Cheers
Doc.

Primerib
20-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Thx! Yesterday was not my lucky hunting day. : (
Shot past three ducks. They are bloody fast. Need to swing faster aim more infront.
Lesson learnt!!! : )

BushcraftJustin
20-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Venison - my favourite... Try The Gunton Arms (http://www.theguntonarms.co.uk/) to eat at if you're ever in Norfolk, it's a great pub set in the middle of a Deer Park on the Gunton Estate and the fresh venison is fantastic!

And yeah, Ducks are quick ;)

Primerib
20-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the hint but there is more pride in preparing the own kill. Eating venison out should be a last resort.

BushcraftJustin
20-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I agree totally mate!, but unfortunately my wife and parents don't, and as such I know that they do good fresh venison there... good hunting!
Cheers,
Justin

Bushdoctor
21-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi Guys.

Totally agree but when you eat out it gives you the chance to compare how other people prepare and cook it, and at least you know that it has been shot and not slaughtered like beef or lamb.

Cheers

Doc.

Primerib
21-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Well only if it has been shot well with immidiate or near immidiate death. If some nincompoop who is weary, to eager or just an idiot trying to kill by headshot or through the neck the poor creature will suffer unbelievable pain. Then a common slaughtering by bolt or electric shock should definetly be prefered. That is most quick and efficient!

KaiTheIronHound
22-12-2012, 10:24 AM
A good shot can make a clean headshot.

Primerib
22-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah for sure! But the chances of hitting the head clean enough are way smaller than hitting the chamber and tearing heart and lung leading to immediate death. Distance also plays a great role. Taking a headshot on 30-40m with a resting gun is probably manageable, but there are always idiots believing they are snipers trying headshots at over 100m. A lot of poor creatures are found every year having their jaw shot of or their throat slashed because of bad shots leading to massive inflammation and very slow death. They will have to suffer for days sometimes even weeks until they can finally die.

If the shooter is skilled enough to do so...then he may! But sadly there are too many people who overestimate their skills.

KaiTheIronHound
25-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree entirely, but i also see plenty of shooters take heart and lung shots that lead to the animal running several hundred meters, even when the heart has been blown to shreds. Taking a shot at an animal is always a risk, and even with the best shot in the world, best policy is to make sure you are skilled enough to get a fast follow up in case you miss your mark.

Bushdoctor
25-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys.
I completly agree head shots are for profesional stalkers only, heart and lung shots are usually a better option even though the deer will often run after being hit it is dead on its feet.
There will always be idiots who will take an ify shot an d get all of us a bad name,but they are slowly being weeded out as most land owners and estates will now not allow you to
stalk without the supervision of a profesional stalker unless you have an approved stalking qualification and can prove that you can put 3 shots into a 4inch circle at 100 meters.
Merry christmas to you all.
cheers
Doc.

Primerib
27-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Hey, what ammo do you use for deer? I use a 7x64 (3147 Joule and lil over 767 m/s on 100m) and a 7x65R (2773 Joule and 720 m/s at 100m). I've acquired my hunting license just this year in spring and have so far shot 5 deer - 4 with the 7x64 and 1 with 7x65R softpoint projectiles. 2 lay immediatly at the spot and the others did not take more than 15 steps. So far I am very happy with the impact of my ammo.

I believe that it can be more difficult when it comes to heavier game like wild boar which can take a lot more than those wee deer.

Bushdoctor
27-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi Guys.
.243win is fine for smaller deer like Roe, Muntjac and CWD and is ok for fallow with good bullet placement, but for bigger deer like Red and Sika you need something bigger
like .270win 308win or 30-06rem. For tough game like wild boar favourite would be 30-06rem and what ever bullet suits your rifle best as every rifle barrel is different even
between rifles of the same make model and calibre.
Cheers.
Doc.

treefrog
27-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice job you did on that deer, Primerib. Nothing better than a freezer full of venison. My wife made a delicious venison tourtiere pie for Christmas dinner,
seasoned with juniper berries from the same bush where it was shot. Very satisfying knowing where your meat came from.
I think deer hunting varies a whole lot depending upon where you live; out in western Canada they shoot long range and use spotting scopes and all that,
and here in the gullies and dense brush of eastern Ontario it's pretty much the opposite approach. The guys doing the dogging are mostly using shotguns
with buckshot or slugs, and time to aim is often a luxury you never get. I use a Remington model 600 in .308 Win, a short-barreled rifle designed for hunting
guides. It's light and easy to pull off a quick shot which is mostly all you get. We have really big whitetails here that go up to 150 kgs, so you need a gun with
a reasonable amount of stopping power. I think probably the most popular caliber around here for the last 50 years has been the 30-30.

Primerib
27-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks! I prepared a roast saddle of venison with dumplings and red cabbage. But I only made half of the back. A whole roast saddle would have been way to much for me and my wife. Damn it was good!!!

Primerib
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
A new years kill! Another nice doe fawn. A little over 10kg