View Full Version : Hammer Net

07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
This net pictured below is called a Hammer Net and was once in use in this Pennsylvania Dutch area where I live. See Fyke Net thread for background. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4660-Fyke-Net
It got its name from the net operator's helper who would hit the river bank with a large mallet or hammer and scare the fish towards the holder of the net. When the net is raised the fish drops into the sleeve of netting. THe fish is removed by releasing a drawstring at the bottom of the sleeve.


08-12-2012, 07:21 AM
That sounds a bit of a hit n miss technique, but that net looks amazing

08-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Thats an amazing bit of netting, i can knit net but anything shaped thats a different thing altogether. Lovely work....Magnet

08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
JonnyP, the technique is hot as hit n miss as it might seem. Depending on the width of the stream or river several het holders would span that distance. Nets like this have been illegal for well over 100 years. Tony

08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
That's a really interesting technique and one I've never heard of before - logically it ought to work.

13-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Fascinating stuff! There's some real skill gone into making those nets... interesting technique as well!

13-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Amazing the stuff ye learn on this fourms init?
Love the net Tony its a real work of art .