PDA

View Full Version : Emergency SMS

Chubbs
27-11-2012, 05:04 PM
I was in hospital this morning as a day patient and while waiting to be seen I picked up one of the magazines and read an interesting article. This was about a system which was originally started for hard of hearing and people with speech problems but now includes hillwalkers, hikers and anybody that may be in difficulty and doesn't have a decent mobile signal if anything goes wrong and needs urgent medical attention or the need to be rescued. From what I read, a text message needs virtually no signal compared to a voice call, so if you are in the middle of nowhere, this may save your or somebody elses life.

All you do is register your mobile as explained in the link below

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

I hope this is of help to you all.

Cheers Neil

fish
27-11-2012, 05:16 PM
i am rgstrin me fone now init.

Tigger004
27-11-2012, 08:40 PM
that's interesting and useful, also FYI the nokia standard text alert is Morse for SMS

Like a right Rodney Trotter I clicked on the video on the home page, sign language is not my strong point.....Doh

happybonzo
28-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Many thanks

Valantine
02-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Strange it's not widely advertised though:confused2:

midas
02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
If one puts mobile phone 112 into the search section.all sorts of interesting "ways n means" are discussed!in detail.
One of the first thing I did was register after seeing a tutorial video on this forum.
Worth looking them up!
Remember 112 is programmed into all phones can be used without unlocking a phone,or even if there is no sim card in the phone.In an accident it may not be your phone you are using to call for help.and the owner of the other "locked phone"may be unable to respond.

Silverback
03-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Remembering to call for the correct emergency service for your particular predicament....RNLI/HMCGR at Sea for example - and dont forget especially in the UK Mountains and Fells its 999/112 ask for the Police then ask for Mountain Rescue