PDA

View Full Version : Don't get eaten by the bears!

treefrog
20-11-2012, 10:30 PM
This one's for you, Tony... best not to get swatted by one either!

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/Saddle-Hills-Bear_4.jpg

Northern Alberta Grizzly; got too close for comfort for a couple elk hunters. I think they said it was 1300 pounds...

Silverback
20-11-2012, 11:02 PM
WOW !!!! Us Brits are lucky we don't know what its like to be lower in the food chain than our cousins across the pond. I suppose it was a case of shoot or be eaten !

treefrog
20-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Sapper, I found out some info on it...the guys were calling elk and the bear responded to the call; it closed in to within 8 yards before they dropped it!

It stood just under 12' on it's hind legs. Apparently it had killed several horses and cows in the area; fish & wildlife people set a cage trap, but he was too big
to go in the trap. With that thing roaming the neighbourhood, I wouldn't go to the mailbox without my rifle!

Silverback
20-11-2012, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=treefrog;61395 it closed in to within 8 yards before they dropped it!.......It stood just under 12' on it's hind legs. [/QUOTE]

So a mere 2 body lengths away.....an animal weighing in at 1200 pounds, that can run at 25+ mph !!! Sheesh thats barely enough thinking time

jbrown14
21-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Going by your info, TreeFrog, that thing was nearly twice the height and almost 3 times the weight of the biggest black bear I've ever seen in the wild here in the Adirondacks of New York. (And I was estimating on the light side, I think...) I probably would have soiled myself in the act of unloading my rifle at him, that's one monstrous paw there. Very glad we don't have them in my neck of the woods.

Josh

JonnyP
21-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow..!! That is a big paw..

AL...
21-11-2012, 07:47 AM
That is huge!! ... Good chance I would have broke the land speed record gettin out of there!

Cheers
AL

f0rm4t
21-11-2012, 08:28 AM
I bet your ass was quivering mate! :shocked:
That is one big beast!

How the hell did you get it outta there?

...Al, you reckon you could take it with a catty? LOL

AL...
21-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Only if the catty could fire a Grenade Paul lol

Cheers
AL

CanadianMike
21-11-2012, 11:12 AM
:)

http://www.funnyreign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Bear-Poop1.jpg

f0rm4t
21-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Haha!!!!

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Woh, that really is the mighty bear. That pad would make an awesome possibles pouch ;)

From what I have heard, most bears don't actually like the taste of humans, but it doesn't stop them attacking and killing you, just to get you off of their land.
Worst thing to have on you around bears, is toothpaste, believe it or not. They go absolutely nuts for it. More so than a freshly butchered elk leg (according to QI).
Although I think I'd rather not try either.

biker-bri
21-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Wow..!! That is a big paw..

Can you imagine the itch to paw ratio ? :eek:

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 12:57 PM
haha, like swatting a fly with a bazooka maybe lol

Tony1948
21-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Only just seen this,now you now wot I'v been on about,I bet you are thankfull that I did all that creeping about keeping you guys in this county safe.Just look at wot the guys over the pond have to put up with,so just remember wot I'v been saying.........Dont get eaten by the bears..........PS AAAAAARRRRRR they killed padington bet they didant have any honey:happy-clapping:

OakAshandThorn
21-11-2012, 03:22 PM
I am SOOOO glad I don't have Yogie Bear running around in the woods around here.

Adam Savage
21-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I am SOOOO glad I don't have Yogie Bear running around in the woods around here.

Yeah, it's bad enough carrying enough food for yourself, let alone feeding those pesky bears :)

ian c
21-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Thats a mighty BIG paw i reckon that fish could make something usefull out of them claws.

mark
21-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I bet your ass was quivering mate! :shocked:
That is one big beast!

How the hell did you get it outta there?

...Al, you reckon you could take it with a catty? LOL

paul that thing is bigger than you!!!!!!!!!!!!

treefrog
22-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Going by your info, TreeFrog, that thing was nearly twice the height and almost 3 times the weight of the biggest black bear I've ever seen in the wild here in the Adirondacks of New York. (And I was estimating on the light side, I think...) I probably would have soiled myself in the act of unloading my rifle at him, that's one monstrous paw there. Very glad we don't have them in my neck of the woods.

Josh

I'm with you, Josh. I've tented out in Grizzly country only a handful of nights and never felt at ease with it. Black bears can get up to mischief too,
but I have no problem sharing the bush with them. BTW, a 600 pound black bear was live trapped by the authorities in our county a few years back, and that
was the biggest anyone had ever seen. His belly was almost dragging the ground..

BJ
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
That thing would have a serious effect on my enthusiasm for woodland, Bears are not cute and cuddly then?
:shocked:
BJ

OakAshandThorn
07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah, it's bad enough carrying enough food for yourself, let alone feeding those pesky bears :)
Yogie always did love filching picnic baskets ;).