PDA

View Full Version : March meet up in wales

biker-bri
17-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I have approached a campsite in "mid-ish" Wales as to weather or not they would accept a bushcraft hangout on their property for the weekend of the 15,16 and 17th of March.
They e,mailed me this morning with a big YES but they need numbers before they will give a price, they also asked not to disclose the name of the site yet ( reason unknown )
I will say that the site is north of Aberystwyth, near the coast, well wooded and there is a pub not too far away.
Please register your interest here ( no deposit wanted or required err yet ) if anyone knows how to place names all on one post please let me know.
Cheers Bri.

If there is a disclaimer for this type of post, "I am not aware of it", I will say that I am not doing this for profit in any way, and that I am not associated in any way to the proposed campsite.

fish
17-11-2012, 12:48 PM
assuming i can find a lift/kids allowed ime up for it (plus mrs fish and 4 kids)

Aragorn
17-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I will have to check I'm off, but am interested

AL...
17-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I like the idea but will have to check with the boss!!

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
17-11-2012, 02:01 PM
assuming i can find a lift/kids allowed ime up for it (plus mrs fish and 4 kids)
Tell them to pack their buckets n spade,s mate
Cheers Bri.

Sar-ian
18-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi, I'm deffo up for a few days away, just out of interest would yourself and Fish be up for doing some "classes/workshop" as I'm always willing to learn some new skills, oh and anyone else that's going if they have a particular skill set that they would like to teach, cheers Ian...

biker-bri
18-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi, I'm deffo up for a few days away, just out of interest would yourself and Fish be up for doing some "classes/workshop" as I'm always willing to learn some new skills, oh and anyone else that's going if they have a particular skill set that they would like to teach, cheers Ian...

I would if I could, but I can't I wonder, could you :confused2: Oh sorry now my head hurts,:o as I am new to bushcraft I have nothing to teach - the last time I tried
to make fire, the wife told me to put the b####y central heating on like any normal person does :ashamed:

If anyone has any bushcraft skills who would like to share them PLEASE do so, as you can see MY only skill is how not to tell a joke.

As soon as I have enough of people showing an interest, I will contact the campsite and find out what it will cost us as a group, we can then decide how formal or informal
we want to be. I know that march is a long way away but, if we leave it to late then I may not be able to book us in, I hope to be able to tell every one where we are going
by the end of the coming week but I have to prove that there is enough interest for them to RESERVE us an area to use as it "is" a popular campsite, I would like
to be able to give them a minimum number of people attending rather than restricting the number of attendees at this early date, there is nothing worse than seeing an advert
for an upcoming event in your local paper with numbers restricted - all tickets now sold
Cheers Bri

Tigger004
18-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Please count me, In I'll book the time off work tomorrow, It would be lovely to meet some of you, we can all freeze together...lol

biker-bri
18-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Tigger, you are more than welcome, it will be nice to meet you too

ADz
18-11-2012, 07:27 PM
I think I'll be up for it. :)

I May need to wait nearer dates for confirmation though if poss as it will cost me between £60-100 to get there from East Yorkshire on bus or train so will have to make sure I can make it before committing.

Look forward to meeting up with you all though, hope weather works out :)

AL...
18-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Ye can put me down for a Aye Bri :)
If ye can let me know the dates and which Town is nearest for the bus mate
This is gonna be great
Cheers
AL

BJ
18-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi I am up for it, I want to try my new musucbag and March should do the trick.
:camping:

Sar-ian
18-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I would if I could, but I can't I wonder, could you :confused2: Oh sorry now my head hurts,:o as I am new to bushcraft I have nothing to teach - the last time I tried
to make fire, the wife told me to put the b####y central heating on like any normal person does :ashamed:

If anyone has any bushcraft skills who would like to share them PLEASE do so, as you can see MY only skill is how not to tell a joke.

As soon as I have enough of people showing an interest, I will contact the campsite and find out what it will cost us as a group, we can then decide how formal or informal
we want to be. I know that march is a long way away but, if we leave it to late then I may not be able to book us in, I hope to be able to tell every one where we are going
by the end of the coming week but I have to prove that there is enough interest for them to RESERVE us an area to use as it "is" a popular campsite, I would like
to be able to give them a minimum number of people attending rather than restricting the number of attendees at this early date, there is nothing worse than seeing an advert
for an upcoming event in your local paper with numbers restricted - all tickets now sold
Cheers Bri

Hi Bri, you sell yourself sort my friend, I've seen your leatherwork and I would love to be able to do work of that quality, as for me, I'm afraid my skill set would result in a brush with the law and arrests (LOL)... seriously though, if there is something that I can pass on I'm more than willing to do so.. cheers Ian...

Chubbs
18-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with you Ian. Never in a million years could I produce such brilliant leatherwork that Bri completes week after week. Some people don't feel confident teaching others, no matter how good they are. I'm different, I could teach people to cook all day and I would get satisfaction knowing that somebody else has gained valuable skills. We are all different mate and I am glad we are. The world would be such a boring place if we all knew the same.

biker-bri
18-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I totally agree with you Ian. Never in a million years could I produce such brilliant leatherwork that Bri completes week after week. Some people don't feel confident teaching others, no matter how good they are. I'm different, I could teach people to cook all day and I would get satisfaction knowing that somebody else has gained valuable skills. We are all different mate and I am glad we are. The world would be such a boring place if we all knew the same.

Is this the voice of a volunteer I hear :happy-clapping: welcome on board

biker-bri
18-11-2012, 10:40 PM
ye can put me down for a aye bri :)
if ye can let me know the dates and which town is nearest for the bus mate
this is gonna be great
cheers
al

al empty your in box

AL...
19-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Done mate :)

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
20-11-2012, 02:43 PM
As there is enough of interest being shown in a meet up I can now tell you the venue, better still have a look http://www.graigwen.co.uk/.
Also their facebook page for more photographs, http://www.facebook.com/Graigwen
The nearest train station is at Morfa Mawddach, Buses at Barmouth, Dolgellau the campsite is on the Mawddach estuary and has direct access to the "flat" estuary trail.
Prices are still to be confirmed, but I may know more later this week
Cheers Bri

fish
20-11-2012, 03:38 PM
the mermaid fish and chip shop in barmoth does the best in the world,they still use lard and the chips are super,not to mention the fish in batter!

BJ
20-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Bri,
great location, looking forward to it and who knows it may be 20 degrees and sunny.
ever the optimist. :rolleyes:
cheers
BJ

biker-bri
20-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi Bri,
great location, looking forward to it and who knows it may be 20 degrees and sunny.
ever the optimist. :rolleyes:
cheers
BJ

Optimist, then some.
Always expect the worse, then it's always better than you expected!

biker-bri
27-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Price is as follows,
Adults per person per night £6.00
under 16 yr old per night £3.00
A deposit for the first night will be required, subsequent nights payable upon arrival.
so I will require £6.00 for each adult and £3.00 for anyone under 16 by sat 15th Dec
The camp site is open all year so all the facilities showers etc will be open

The area to be used by us includes a communal open fire area i,e one big fire for us to sit around, for anyone
who has used Google earth to give the place a look over, the area set aside for us is where you can
see the roof of a yurt !! which looks nicely wooded.

This is an idea only As some of you will be travelling a fair distance
and we know how fickle the weather can be, the wife has suggested that we take our 8 birth tent
to use as a base camp or if you are an army type HQ, we can also provide a basic evening meal
"stew" so no one needs to cook on the first night, (Now this will be the wife's cooking and as we don't
have any insurance its at your own peril) It would also mean that there would be a 2 ring gas
cooker on site for anyone who wished to use it, me n the misses will cover the cost of the tent
the evening meal £2.00 per adult tea and coffee will also be provided BUT bring your own beer!!!!!!

Any ideas or comments please chuck them in here, bushcraft skill's whatever, I know the area well, the foot path to
Cadair Idris is a good day out IF your fit, a walk into Barmouth for a pint n a bag of chips if your not
Cheers Bri

I will post details of how to pay when I have spoken to the owners again.

AL...
27-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Looks great bri :)

Cheers
AL

Ehecatl
27-11-2012, 08:00 PM
It's a lovely part of the world. Wish I lived nearer....

Ehecatl
27-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Price is as follows,
Adults per person per night £6.00
under 16 yr old per night £3.00
A deposit for the first night will be required, subsequent nights payable upon arrival.
so I will require £6.00 for each adult and £3.00 for anyone under 16 by sat 15th Dec
The camp site is open all year so all the facilities showers etc will be open

The area to be used by us includes a communal open fire area i,e one big fire for us to sit around, for anyone
who has used Google earth to give the place a look over, the area set aside for us is where you can
see the roof of a yurt !! which looks nicely wooded.

This is an idea only As some of you will be travelling a fair distance
and we know how fickle the weather can be, the wife has suggested that we take our 8 birth tent
to use as a base camp or if you are an army type HQ, we can also provide a basic evening meal
"stew" so no one needs to cook on the first night, (Now this will be the wife's cooking and as we don't
have any insurance its at your own peril) It would also mean that there would be a 2 ring gas
cooker on site for anyone who wished to use it, me n the misses will cover the cost of the tent
the evening meal £2.00 per adult tea and coffee will also be provided BUT bring your own beer!!!!!!

Any ideas or comments please chuck them in here, bushcraft skill's whatever, I know the area well, the foot path to
Cadair Idris is a good day out IF your fit, a walk into Barmouth for a pint n a bag of chips if your not
Cheers Bri

I will post details of how to pay when I have spoken to the owners again.

Chips in Barmouth! There's the Carousel Cafe on the one way system, but the "C" fell off. I've a photo somewhere. If I find it I'll post it.

Ehecatl
27-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Chips in Barmouth! There's the Carousel Cafe on the one way system, but the "C" fell off. I've a photo somewhere. If I find it I'll post it.

biker-bri
29-11-2012, 08:14 AM
It's a lovely part of the world. Wish I lived nearer....

A nice set of photos, I don't recognise the mountain in the last one - do you know where it is or its name ?

Back to the hangout, would it help if I could defer paying the deposit until mid January? I know how expensive
December is for everyone if it would help I may be able to postpone the deposit until then, please let me
know asap
Cheers Bri

BJ
29-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi Bri,

2 Adults and 1 child, just let me know when and how to pay, thank you,

BJ

Ehecatl
30-11-2012, 05:17 PM
A nice set of photos, I don't recognise the mountain in the last one - do you know where it is or its name ?

Cheers Bri

I'm not sure exactly Bri. We walked across the bridge from Barmouth (south) and then did a circular walk starting on the dis-used railway. It will (roughly) be to the south east of the campsite you will be using. At a guess, it may be the Cadair Idris or very nearby.

M@

Tigger004
30-11-2012, 06:06 PM
My Holiday is booked off and I will be coming, My son would like to come too, I will pay for both of us and if he can't make it no worries, Let me know how to pay and when.
Excited now, is it tent and hammock terrain.
Cheers Jeff

biker-bri
02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Good for both Tigger, have you had a look at their web site its worth a gander http://www.graigwen.co.uk/
also have a look on Google earth the camp site is on the south side of the estuary.
cheers Bri

biker-bri
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Can I please have a show of hands for those of you who intend to come to graigwen in march please.
I have deferred payment of the deposit until mid January to give those of you who are attending sappers meetup
a bit of leeway (monies tight for everyone - me included).
Cheers for now Bri.
1, Me ;) + the wife.
2, Al
3, sar-Ian
4, BJ + 1.5:happy-clapping:
5, Tigger + 1
So far that's 8 children + one still in training :happy-clapping:

AL...
11-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Put me down for the meet bri. Will PM ye in a couple of days or so .

Cheers
AL

BJ
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi Bri,
me too please two adults 1 child
cheers
BJ

Tigger004
11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi Bri, Please include me and my Adult son, thanks Jeff

biker-bri
14-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Any preference for a payment date in January folks ? .

BJ
14-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi Bri,
I am happy to go with the general consensus, any time suits me.
cheers
BJ

AL...
14-12-2012, 02:30 PM
You set the date Bri I think that would be the best thing to do mate

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
21-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I have just spoken to the owners of Graig wen campsite about the march meet up - they require a deposit to be paid by the weekend of the 12 january - they will not reserve us an "area" after that date.
I hope to be able to add any latecomers to the meeting but I cannot guarantee that their PITCH would be in the same area of woodland.
A DEPOSIT OF £6.00 PER adult and £3.00 for under 16 yr old's needs to be paid to me before the 12 th January I will then pay them, the remainder to be paid
to the owners by "you" upon arrival.
I will send a PM to everyone on the list (on post 32 ) with payment details, once you have paid place a post here saying so
Anyone who is still thinking of attending please let me know asap, when I pay the deposit I can then tell the owners that there MAY be an extra number of people attending
they MAY then allocate a larger area for us
Ok everyone PM's inbound
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
21-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I have just spoken to the owners of Graig wen campsite about the march meet up - they require a deposit to be paid by the weekend of the 12 january - they will not reserve us an "area" after that date.
I hope to be able to add any latecomers to the meeting but I cannot guarantee that their PITCH would be in the same area of woodland.
A DEPOSIT OF £6.00 PER adult and £3.00 for under 16 yr old's needs to be paid to me before the 12 th January I will then pay them, the remainder to be paid
I will send a PM to everyone on the list (on post 32 ) with payment details, once you have paid place a post here saying so
Anyone who is still thinking of attending please let me know asap, when I pay the deposit I can then tell the owners that there MAY be an extra number of people attending
Ok everyone PM's inbound
Cheers Bri

Hi Bri, payment sent, PM on its way, cheers Ian....

BJ
21-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Ok everyone PM's inbound
Cheers Bri

Hi Bri, Transfer completed . PM sent, and a public thank you for all the effort in setting this up, especially with all the Christmas things to do as well.
cheers
BJ :happy-clapping:

Tigger004
21-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Bri, payment Done £12 (£6 each for Myself and my adult son) Jeff & Phil

Thanks;)

old dog new tricks
22-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi, I've just joined the bushcraft community and am interested in going to your meet in mid wales in march, is it too late to get a place? would love to learn more and get out and about, being a late starter I've also got to keep the knees moving lol

biker-bri
22-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome O D N T please join us, if you read through the posts you will find all the info you need about the site and the costs - there is a deposit required of £6.00 per person
the remainder to be paid upon arrival I will send you a Pm with the payment details later today
Cheers Bri

BJ
23-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi, I've just joined the bushcraft community and am interested in going to your meet in mid wales in march, is it too late to get a place? would love to learn more and get out and about, being a late starter I've also got to keep the knees moving lol

:welcome:
BJ

old dog new tricks
24-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi,got your details will forward deposi asap thanks so much, hope the rains stopped by then!

biker-bri
24-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Just checked the bank and all payments made have arrived.
Tigger + 1 = £12
Sar Ian = £6
BJ + 1.5 + £15.00
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I have just checked the bank account and was surprised to find a payment of £6.00 had been paid in on the 01,01,2013, I can only presume that this is a deposit for
the march meet up but as I don't know whom it is from I don't know whose name to add to the list:confused2:
would a Mr C Blackmore like to stand up please .
Cheers Bri

old dog new tricks
02-01-2013, 06:43 PM
o.k. I'm standing up! yes it was I, sorry I didn't let you know I've been running around like the proverbial fly! I've had to check my diary to see what day it is and what day's I'm working and what day's I'm not, that's the trouble with a shift system plus the fact I haven't started later than 04.30 since before Christmas, anyway apologies again, at least tomorrow I get a lay in til 04.00, all the best Chris.

biker-bri
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Many thanks Chris one more to add to the list.
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Payments I have now received.
Tigger + 1 £12.0
Sar Ian £6.00
BJ + 1.5 £15
O D N T £6.00
Me & the wife £12.00

biker-bri
06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Last call for anyone interested in the meet up at Graig Wen Nr Barmouth, I will be paying the deposit on the 12 Th, when I do I will ask
if there is any possibility of any latecomers joining or if it would be a FIXED booking (hopefully not) .
If I can I will take a trip down there at the end of the month an take some pics
Cheers Bri.

biker-bri
13-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Deposit paid as of 12/01/13 - had a chat with the owner who agreed to leave the booking open for anyone else to join if they wish to do so,
anyone who is interested just drop a note here an I will pm you the payment details
Cheers Bri

old dog new tricks
13-01-2013, 09:07 PM
thanks for taking the trouble, hope the weather's with us, looking forward to meeting folk.

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 09:12 AM
If anyone has any ideas for group activity's while we are at the site " apart from eating n drinking " please let me know - I will do some kind of a demo with the leather
no Idea what yet but I will sort something out, I have never cooked anything over an open fire other than burgers on a BBQ nor have I ever made fire by friction
so I have lot,s to learn if anyone has a steel tripod and large cook-pot we could do a communal meal on the saturday night .
As I mentioned on an earlier post I will be bringing a large frame tent for the weekend so should the weather be a little damp we will have somewhere
to hide, other than the tent & the tarp ( I will be using my hammock ) that's the only shelter we will have, If it is any help the wife & I can provide Fridays evening meal just a basic stew but it will fill you up
If anyone needs to use the tent for the weekend there are two spare bedrooms available - just bring an air bed n sleeping bag, WARNING the wife will be in the third bedroom and she snores like a good un - "ear plugs may be a good idea".
Cheers for now Bri

Rimski
24-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello bri im new to the forum and still learning how to negotiate my way round it and drooped on this thread by accident really. Glad i did i realize youve paid deposits etc would it be possible to add me as a late comer if not no worries, Thanks

BJ
24-01-2013, 12:14 PM
I can get a tripod made. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/storm/t112003.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-storm.php)

old dog new tricks
24-01-2013, 12:41 PM
like you i have so much to learn, but thankyou for considering the rest of us by cooking for us, perhaps we could all bring something extra and have a pick and mix couple of meals, we are not in a survival situation are we?(well at least i hope not!) and if we dont have to spend too much time trying to light a fire to cook we can use the time to practice and learn for when we have no other choice but to use those skills like you i'm going to be using a hammock and i'm waiting for the weather to clear up a bit before going out and trying it out (i'm not 25 any more, however much i think i am!) so lets hope the weather's kind to us that weekend so that we can enjoy it more than endure it. Chris.

delbach
24-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Don't know if this is of any use to you but it's in the same area.I think they even use the same campsite

http://firefoxbushcraft.co.uk/
Andrew

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Hello bri im new to the forum and still learning how to negotiate my way round it and drooped on this thread by accident really. Glad i did i realize youve paid deposits etc would it be possible to add me as a late comer if not no worries, Thanks

Welcome aboard and consider yourself part of the crew, I will leave any further deposits until mid Feb to give any other late comers chance to join us, if you have any Ideas just chuck them in here and we
will decide what we are going to do
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=old dog new tricks;68417]like you i have so much to learn, but thankyou for considering the rest of us by cooking for us.
Err only for the Friday night Chris the rest is self catering but the gas stove will be available to use if need be - nothing worse than getting wet while waiting for the billy to boil
so if we do have some inclement weather we will have a mess hall / common room to use - it would be nice to think that we will have no need of the tent but better safe than sorry.
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I can get a tripod made. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/storm/t112003.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-storm.php)

Don't go to any great expense BJ and only get one if you are sure that you will use it again, with a little luck I will be going down there one day next week - who knows
they may have something we could use - if you look on their Facebook page they do run bushcraft / wild food events ? - if you decide to get one just let me know.
Cheers Bri.

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Don't know if this is of any use to you but it's in the same area.I think they even use the same campsite

http://firefoxbushcraft.co.uk/
Andrew

Thanks for the link Andrew - I did know that they use Firefox, when I first approached the campsite owners they mentioned it then, but as this is the first meet up
I have arranged - I have tried to keep it simple and "cheep" if it all goes well then maybe it could be a regular event spring / autumn either at the same site or one
further south, Brecon has some wonderful moorland / woodland surrounding it and its been a while since I have been down that way, maybe the forum members from the valley's could point
us in the right direction
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
24-01-2013, 10:02 PM
List as of now.
Tigger + 1
Sar Ian
BJ + 1.5
Bri + 1
O D N T
Rimski
WinstOnsmith
Red means -Not confirmed or deposit to be paid at later date.

old dog new tricks
24-01-2013, 11:51 PM
sorry, didn't make myself very clear did i, i meant pick and mix on the fri only or if anyone has a ribeye steak they don't want by all means i will try and help them out i couldn't just stand idly by and watch someone struggle with too much food!!

Rimski
25-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Welcome aboard and consider yourself part of the crew, I will leave any further deposits until mid Feb to give any other late comers chance to join us, if you have any Ideas just chuck them in here and we
will decide what we are going to do
Cheers Bri

Yippe ! Thanks a lot biker-bri looking forward ive so much to learn just the chance to meet up and learn is good for me but will think on it cheers:camping:

biker-bri
25-01-2013, 09:32 AM
sorry, didn't make myself very clear did i, i meant pick and mix on the fri only or if anyone has a ribeye steak they don't want by all means i will try and help them out i couldn't just stand idly by and watch someone struggle with too much food!!
I think we will keep it simple and just have stew on Friday evening Chris - also NO fighting in the food hall please:evilgrin:

I just had a flashback off Monty Python,s fish slapping dance sketch and I don't know why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c enjoy anyway
strange how the brain cell works before the first coffee of the morning wakes it up :happy-clapping:
Soon be march - Cheers Bri
keep the idea's coming lads

BJ
25-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I trust the fish slapping dance isn't compulsory http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0128.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-fun.php)

and it may be cool for the khaki shorts

Ehecatl
25-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I trust the fish slapping dance isn't compulsory http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0128.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-fun.php)

and it may be cool for the khaki shorts

If it's cool for the shorts, then it'll be freezing to be "fish wacked" into a canal! :)

M@

Winst0nsmith
25-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Pencil me in please, don't use ink, I might have a contract starting around then, I'll let thee know.

biker-bri
26-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Pencil me in please, don't use ink, I might have a contract starting around then, I'll let thee know.

No problem mate - if you could just let me know either way before march 1 St it would be a big help.
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
26-01-2013, 02:13 PM
If anyone has any ideas for group activity's while we are at the site " apart from eating n drinking " please let me know - I will do some kind of a demo with the leather
no Idea what yet but I will sort something out,
Cheers for now Bri

Hi Bri, been thinking about your "leathercraft workshop" would you be up for making a tankard, I was hoping it might be possible to make one myself. If you would be prepared to fetch some additional materials (I'll gladly pay any costs) so as I could make one myself, then not only would I have learned a new skill, but also a momento of the moot, cheers Ian....

biker-bri
26-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Bri, been thinking about your "leathercraft workshop" would you be up for making a tankard, I was hoping it might be possible to make one myself. If you would be prepared to fetch some additional materials (I'll gladly pay any costs) so as I could make one myself, then not only would I have learned a new skill, but also a momento of the moot, cheers Ian....

Do you mean a jacket for a tankard, or an ornamental tankard made entirely from leather - either is possible but both would take quite a bit of time, the jacker would be the easiest and therefore the quickest.
I have thought of a group project / memento that would include using the swivel knife, bevel stamp and colour that would take a couple of hours each to make - in other words done in an afternoon but there is no reason
why we couldn't look into doing your tankard as a one off, "bother I thought it was going to be a quiet weekend" :wink:
Let me know which you were thinking off and I will look into it - anything is possible
cheers Bri

Sar-ian
26-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi Bri,
I was thinking of a full leather tankard, I've been looking at making one for a while, but not had the confidence to start. I don't mind if it's a smaller size if that makes it easier/quicker, as I can always maker a bigger one once I get home, it's about learning the technique's and tricks-of-the-trade. Cheers Ian...

BJ
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Tripod sorted, 7051 I will not be bringing the cat though. He is a far superior hunter and tracker and puts me to shame. I wouldn't appreciate his donating voles and mice to the meal.:campfire:

biker-bri
13-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Looks good BJ, I will check the size off our large stew pot to make sure it fits :happy-clapping:
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
22-02-2013, 06:07 PM
:jumping-joy::campfire::happy-clapping:T^TICK TOCK it's getting closer:camping::cool::happy-clapping:

biker-bri
22-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Yep my feet are itching too - can't wait ;)

BJ
22-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Getting closer, I tried my under-quilt in the garden last weekend to get the fit right. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57034.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=2)

rawfish111
22-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Wish I'd found this forum sooner. Hope the Gods smile on you all with the weather and I look forward to seeing the pics

Sar-ian
24-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Wish I'd found this forum sooner. Hope the Gods smile on you all with the weather and I look forward to seeing the pics

Sounds like you would like to join us.... I'm sure if you contact bikerbri he'll sort something out for you... cheers Ian..

TICK TOCK

biker-bri
25-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Its a bit of a trek up from Devon but you are more than welcome to join us for the weekend - its £6 per night, but I will need to know asap as I promised the campsite owners I would have
the final numbers by the first of the month.
Cheers Bri.

rawfish111
25-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Would love to thanks guys, unfortunately work wont allow this time around.

biker-bri
25-02-2013, 09:56 PM

I need to know asap weather you are joining us on our weekend in barmouth - Its only fair that I inform the site owners how many
are attending beforehand, If you could let me know before the 1st that would be great
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
28-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Off to Barmouth tomorrow to check out our site at Graig Wen I will report back tomorrow eve with photos, I just hope its as nice as it was here today.
Tick tock - clocks ticking.
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Spent the morning at the seaside ;) just me and the dog, before calling in on Graig Wen campsite - The owners were out :oops: should have phoned first :ashamed: but a nice young lady told me to take a look
around anyway. so I shall phone them this evening to give them the final numbers for our meet up, how many of us are camping and how many tree dwellers are there - I have never thought to ask before - I will
be taking both tent and Hammock, ( tent is for the wife and as a meeting place if the weather is inclement ) if there is not enough tree space I shall Kip in the tent, I only saw part of the site how much land belongs to the
campsite I don't know! but there is a lot of woodland in the lower field - a sign said closed for the winter I will know more latter

Cheers for now Bri72817282728372847285

BJ
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Looks nice, it's getting close now. (time to start finding where all my kit has been hibernating)
I will take both tent and hammock, happy to use either if trees are in short supply. Love the fire pit areas. T^

biker-bri
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Just spoke to the owners - there is only one other booking for our weekend "at the moment" so should be nice and quiet, well - till we get there ;).
Any Idea what time people are expecting to turn up ?
Cheers bri.

BJ
01-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I will try for late afternoon. 4 ish. Just so that I can see what I'm doing. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57126.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=7)

Tigger004
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Are there more trees than in the pictures, or is it sky hooks? ...... lol

Sar-ian
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi Bri, I'll be fetching both tent and hammock, but I'm really wanting to swing, hopefully should be arriving mid afternoon...TICK TOCK....cheers Ian...

Rimski
02-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Looks really good Bri carnt wait but now got itchy fingers on the amazon woundering weather to try this hammock thing sure ill have space in my sack ?:p Not sure on timings as yet?

biker-bri
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Just a note!! the tent we have is a SIX berth frame tent which will have two spare bedrooms - If the weather doe's turn inclement anyone who doesn't have an
alternative to there hammock are welcome to doss down in the tent.
Cheers Bri

biker-bri
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Are there more trees than in the pictures, or is it sky hooks? ...... lol

Sky hooks and wishful thinking got me to the top of many a climb "back in the day" but that's another story, my legs have turned to
jelly just thinking about some of the things I did back then.
Cheers ri

Sar-ian
06-03-2013, 10:12 AM
:campfire::jumping-joy::campfire::camping::campfire::happy-clapping::jumping-joy::campfire:

TICK TOCK FOLKS

BJ
08-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Thermals packed, perhaps they should be worn ? http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57091.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=5)

my enthusiasm will keep me warm. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57116.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=6)
http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0163.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-fun.php?page=2) http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/winter/t118031.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-winter.php?page=2)

Tigger004
09-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Getting excited now, a couple of questions that might be interesting to all attending,
Approx how many people are going?
What is planned if anything?

Best thing will be turning you guys into real people from virtual people, see you soon

BJ
09-03-2013, 08:33 AM
It's always good when you can put faces to names. Getting closer. :campfire:

biker-bri
09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
There will be nine adults and one under 16 yr old, I will be doing a leather workshop sometime on the saturday, everyone will have
something to take home with them, if anyone else wants to do something jump in.
Names, Brian and Anita.
Tigger + 1
BJ + 1.5 :)
Sar Ian
Old dog new tricks
Rimski

do you still want us to do a stew ( a basic stew nothing fancy ) for the Friday eve or are you all happy self catering.
Cheers Bri

" the gas cooker will be available for everyone to use "

Rimski
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM
I know your wanting a answer Bri and am happy to chip in for a stew on friday night failing that sort myself out but a lovely idea thanks to you and Anita

Tigger004
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Bri,
A stew Friday sounds really nice,Thank you. Will pay you on the day if that's ok, if not can paypal you. Jeff

Sar-ian
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
More than happy to chip in for stew friday night, many thanks Ian....

TICK TOCK

BJ
09-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Same here Bri, we will be very happy to pay our contribution and take you up on your gracious offer of some stew. (2 + 1/2) http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57010.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php)

biker-bri
09-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Seems as tho we don't get a say in this anyway lads, the wife just said " its STEW or NOTHING " so looks like we are having stew T^
Sar Ian does your double post mean you will be requiring seconds :happy-clapping:
anyone heard from O D N T lately ! - I will drop him a PM
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
10-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Sar Ian does your double post mean you will be requiring seconds :happy-clapping:
Cheers Bri

No, it just means I'm not very good with technology (LOL)

Rimski
10-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I have reread the threads but not sure wheather we are allowed individual fires for cooking or is it stoves, Sorry if ive missed it

biker-bri
10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
there are at least three fire pits and possibly one more dotted around the area set aside for us this weekend, the largest is the one photographed with the chairs - nice for an evening
chat and drink, the others are smaller - one each for the yurt,s that will be set up after we leave.
The campsite is on two levels, only the upper level is open at the moment but there is nothing stopping us checking out the lower level to see if it is suitable
for a summer meet up, I have also been checking out possible sites on the border areas - Cheshire & Shropshire but so far no luck, if anyone knows off anywhere please let me know.

On a sadder note our friend Chris AKA - O D N T will not be with us this weekend due to personal reasons
So we are down to eight adults and one junior member.
Cheers for now Bri

Tigger004
10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Can we fast forward Monday - Thursday and slow down Friday - Sunday

:cool:

Sorry to hear about Chris, hope what ever it is, it works out for the best...

old dog new tricks
10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
thanks for that Tigger, no big secret Bri can tell it over the weekend, i hope you all have great time,(photos please) I'm sure everything will be fine with me and hope to catch up with you all another time.

Tigger004
10-03-2013, 03:31 PM
thanks for that Tigger, no big secret Bri can tell it over the weekend, i hope you all have great time,(photos please) I'm sure everything will be fine with me and hope to catch up with you all another time.

Positive mental attitude - Best wishes and i'm sure we'll meet sometime

Sar-ian
11-03-2013, 06:06 PM
O.K. Hand up, who ordered the SNOW......:zombie-fighting:

BJ
11-03-2013, 06:24 PM
http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57081.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=5) I've packed my swimming gear

butchthedog
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM
http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/subject/t57081.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-subject.php?page=5) I've packed my swimming gear

Cammo Bikini ???????? :Sorry:

Sar-ian
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Right if we're going down that route an MTP mankini.............with a rabbit skin lining

butchthedog
11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Right if we're going down that route an MTP mankini.............with a rabbit skin lining

In this snow,,,, BRRRRRilliant

Tigger004
11-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Is anyone else excited for this weekend or is it just saddo me?

i need to get out more!

biker-bri
11-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Its not just you Tigger - at the moment I,m 53 going on 5, haven't been this exited in years - well I was until I found out that the car has
a broken coil spring which I will have to change tomorrow morning " sub zero" before the wife goes to work :mad: I hate having cold hands
and I still have a piece of leather-work to finish before Friday and get all the packing done :oops: time's running out.
Cheers Bri.

Sar-ian
12-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Is anyone else excited for this weekend or is it just saddo me?

i need to get out more!

Not excited, but really looking forward to meeting some-more like-minded folk as me, for a long time I was always the "ODD ONE OUT"...............

:happy-clapping:T^:jumping-joy: cheers Ian..

TICK TOCK

BJ
12-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Cammo Bikini ???????? :Sorry:

4 season version, very fetching but it chaffs round the ankles

biker-bri
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Car's fixed and no frostbite to report - one day closer T^

BJ
13-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Well done, Really cold wind as well. two more sleeps.

Sar-ian
13-03-2013, 10:48 PM
:camping::campfire::happy-clapping:T^:jumping-joy::campfire::camping::happy-clapping::jumping-joy::jumping-joy:Bergen packed, under starters orders............... 1 sleep, then BLAST OFF...:campfire::campfire::camping::happy-clapping::cool:T^:campfire:

BJ
14-03-2013, 05:41 PM
http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/fun/s0233.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/s-fun.php) http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0134.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/m-fun.php) http://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/jump/h13055.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/h-jump.php?page=2) http://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/jump/h13088.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/h-jump.php?page=4) Packing and checking kit now.

biker-bri
14-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Should be there by 12 all being well - see you all tomorrow
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
15-03-2013, 07:27 AM
D-DAY..... are we nearly there yet (LOL) Heres to a great weekend.... cheers Ian...

BJ
15-03-2013, 07:52 AM
See you all later. :camping:

butchthedog
15-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Have a great weekend chaps :camping:

Silverback
15-03-2013, 01:00 PM
have a great time fellas - dont forget to report back..

delbach
15-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Have a great time,it's sunny here at the moment
Andrew

wildish64
15-03-2013, 01:29 PM
have a great time chaps,am looking forward to the stories and photo's :camping:

delbach
16-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Hope they are having a great time. There is some snow on the tops here today
Andrew

old dog new tricks
16-03-2013, 08:55 AM
lots of photos guy's

BJ
17-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Just a quick update on the meet up in Wales. I met some really great guys and put some names to faces although with everyone have 2 names it does get a little confusing. I arrived 12-ish on Friday to Find Brian just setting up. It had snowed,hailed and rained with high winds on my traversing Denbigh moor, but just as I arrived the weather changed immediately (nothing to do with me personally, just fortunate) so I selected what I thought would be a good place for my first hammock camp.
I had a beautiful view from the hammock across the estuary to the hill on the far side.
I set a roaring log fire in the evening and and we had some amazing stew (thank you Brian & Anita, much appreciated) round the fire.
A really good evening where we sat and chatted until it started to rain and we retired for the night. I was up early next morning and it had rained pretty much all night but stopped around 6-ish.
Not a bad nights sleep although I had learnt a lesson in angles. My Musuc bag kept me warm but was a bit slippy in the hammock because of the slight angle. A quick brew and breakfast and wandered down into Barmouth along the estuary and over the toll bridge (I'm guessing about 2 and half- three miles.) sunshine on the walk and clear views of the surrounding snow capped mountains.
The snow was down to a pretty low level. Wandered back to the camp and had lunch and then we were treated to a masterful display of leather craft By Brian who has produced some beautiful leather key fobs with the Natural Bushcraft emblem.Brian has also made some special leather work which I will leave to Brian and Ian to describe (absolutely awesome) Even with his explanation of how it was done I still Can't believe it.
No doubt there will be plenty of photographs to follow. Fantastic scenery, good weather, But what made the weekend special was spending it with great company. cheers guys you're all stars.

butchthedog
17-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Excellent stuff there BJ, that place looks brill. Pleased all going well and can't wait for more pics.

Ehecatl
17-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for sharing BJ. I love that part of the world.

M@

BJ
17-03-2013, 03:36 PM
some more photographs of the area around the camp:D

owen
17-03-2013, 03:51 PM
a bit miffed that i couldn't make it:(.... next time

biker-bri
17-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Well we arrived home safely a couple of hours ago after a truly awesome weekend where the weather was " changeable " to say the least , As BJ said the rain stopped about 10 minuets
before we reached the campsite at Graig Wen and turned into a wonderful WARM spring day, the wife and I threw up the tent in record time which was surprising for two reasons - 1 we hadn't
used the tent since august 2005 !! and - 2 we didn't have a row!! "and that's a first"..
We had the stew on the go by the time Tigger and his son arrived and a short time later they were followed by sar Ian and Rimski, and that was the full crew for the weekend.
While the guy,s sorted themselves out BJ got the fire started and the wife kept me away from the stew until everyone was ready to eat - it must have been around 4.30 when we
settled down to eat around a roaring but smoky fire (the breeze played havoc ) - Ian kept asking about the ITEM he had asked me to make for him so around 6 pm we went back to the tent
and I gave him his leather Lancashire rose "Tankard" ( I should have painted it white :happy-clapping: but I think he would have hit me :().
Back at the fire Ian christened his Tankard with a toast to our old friend AL who should have been with us for the weekend ( we all missed you mate ) a short while later it started
to rain was that AL having a laugh and we all headed for cover, Friday night was cold but bearable and I was surprised how much snow there was on the hills above Barmouth
but again the day turned out warm and pleasant - early afternoon I held a leather workshop type thing where I learned more than I taught :confused2:. Rimski and Tigger,s son left to make
the evening fire for the hardy experienced members who are used to this type of event while the wife and I "DINED" in style on the leftover stew from the day before T^, we joined the rest around the fire
for an hour or so before making our way back to the tent for a well earned rest, - saturday night was colder - much colder, at 8 am I wandered down to the estuary for a pleasant walk and a photo shoot
of the surrounding area - by 10 am it had again warmed up into a pleasant spring day were unfortunately we had to make tracks and head for home.

A BIG thank you to Ashley for letting me use the logo "leaf" - used in the form of a keyring as a memento for our weekend.
Thanks to all the members who turned up to a very special camp site ( the views and company were awesome )
To O,D,N,T who had to cancel at the last moment " you were missed mate " but we all understand why you couldn't make it - keep your chin up.
Photos to follow later "probably" a link to an album when I have played with them but I will leave you with this one.
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
17-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Well there's not a lot more I can add really, as for the tankard,
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0216_zps55b97bc1.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0217_zps108f8e57.jpg

I will be doing a full and extensive "road test" and will post the the results upon completion. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take many photos as I'm a real techno-fob, and I think my youngest swapped out my fresh batteries for "spent" ones, arghhhhhh little b****r will pay....... Here are some of the ones I did take....

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0209_zpsb5bad4aa.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0210_zpsffe61091.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0211_zpsf400b4c2.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0212_zpsf9c94127.jpg
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/Sar-ian/PIC_0213_zps6e49fcae.jpg

NOW THATS A FIRE....

Cheers folks for an unforgettable weekend and until next time.......:happy-clapping:T^:jumping-joy:

Ehecatl
17-03-2013, 06:11 PM
It doesn't matter what the weather does there - it always look absolutely stunning.

M@

butchthedog
17-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Love the photo's guys as Ehecatl says looks absolutely stunning.

Silverback
17-03-2013, 07:32 PM
T^

biker-bri
18-03-2013, 08:45 AM
There are rumours of sightings of strange beings just west of Dolgellau - " people who dwell in trees ? 7497.
Also UNCONFIRMED reports " not yet caught on camera " of a telly-tubby - marshmallow man like creature who wanders the woods around Graig Wen campsite.
We have to have a photograph BJ - it must be seen to be believed.

biker-bri
18-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Here's a link to some of the photo's http://s1078.beta.photobucket.com/user/biker-bri/library/Graig%20Wen%20bushcraft%20weekend

BJ
18-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Here's a link to some of the photo's http://s1078.beta.photobucket.com/user/biker-bri/library/Graig%20Wen%20bushcraft%20weekend

Some lovely shots there, I particularly like the one with the wooden posts in the water.T^

I will see if I can find an acceptable teletubby picture:o

f0rm4t
18-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Looks like you had an awesome time chaps!

Nothing like a good meet!
T^

Tigger004
18-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Awesome Weekend with some great people,

Just like to say a heart felt thanks to Bri and Anita for organising the event and all their efforts in making it enjoyable,

Loved it

Rimski
18-03-2013, 08:02 PM
As all other have said big thanks to Bri and Anita nice to meet everyone in such lovely surrondings did my first night in a hammock weekend went quick as a flash BRILL
:happy-clapping:

Kernowek Scouser
18-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Great pictures, looks like you had a grand time, thanks for sharing T^

... can't wait to see the Teletubby

biker-bri
22-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Loads of snow last night - a good 6 inches deep this morning, lucky for us that the meet up was last week end and not this one - the A483 Wrexham bypass is at a standstill
schools are closed and the kids are making snowmen.
Cheers Bri

Sar-ian
22-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Loads of snow last night - a good 6 inches deep this morning, lucky for us that the meet up was last week end and not this one - the A483 Wrexham bypass is at a standstill
schools are closed and the kids are making snowmen.
Cheers Bri

Yeh, snowing in Wigan tooooo, would have been just my luck to have done both my first moots in snow (LOL), could have really put me offfffff, NAHHHHHHH

BJ
01-04-2013, 09:33 PM
sorry, just got back from 29 degrees C and missed all the snow so far.:evilgrin: Never mind I'm sure it hasn't finished with us yet.

Silverback
01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
sorry, just got back from 29 degrees C and missed all the snow so far.:evilgrin: Never mind I'm sure it hasn't finished with us yet.

still got ankle deep snow in my back garden and 6ft high plus drifts up on the moors