PDA

View Full Version : Compass failure

treefrog
07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I guess I need a new compass. Mine seems to have reversed it's polarity! North is the new south!

I've been out at the deer hunting camp for the last three days, where I found that my compass doesn't point where it should;
not a good time to find that out, when you're on a dogging run with 2 miles of thick bush in front of you. At first I thought the
earth's rotation must have changed, but that seemed unlikely.:)

For some months I thought I had lost this compass, but turned out it had fallen behind the seat of my truck and nestled under a
pile of logging chains, which scratched the bejeezus out of it...it can still be read but the plastic looks all cloudy.
So I guess the iron in the chains did something to the polarity?

The joke at the hunt camp now is you should always carry your GPS in case the compass fails!

Anyone ever have a compass screw up like this?

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/deerhunt12024.jpg

TheOutdoorist
07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I have had compasses change a little but never fully swap ends.. glad you didn't get lost!

GalaxyRider
07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I had a compass which we accidently on the bonnet of a car, over the starter motor. It reversed the polarity and became the compass we had to use if we had forgotten our own (I was in an orienteering team at the time).

You could rub a magnet along the needle and remagnitise the red end, that will sort it. Although with the size of that air bubble, I'd chuck it and buy a new one.

David_JAFO
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
hello,
Looking at the image, is the problem not with the air bubble
inside the compass itself :oops:
Regards
David

paulthefish2009
07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Good point David,well spotted mate. Paul

SimonB
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
The bubble shouldn't deviate the compass like stated... My guess is the fact it was burried under a lot of chains for a long time....

Buy another, they're cheap enough on ebay.......

David_JAFO
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
hello,
Si valid point :wink:
http://www.claritas-online.co.uk/products/compass_link.htm
Regards
David

The bubble shouldn't deviate the compass like stated... My guess is the fact it was burried under a lot of chains for a long time....
Buy another, they're cheap enough on ebay.......

Kernowek Scouser
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd vote for getting yourself a new compass fella.

I've got a bit of a reputation for being a cheapskate, which is completely justified and in my ongoing quest to spend as little as possible on quality kit, I am currently of the opinion that the Karrimor Compass (http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-compass-785005) £3.99 is just as good as the low end Silva's which are more than twice the price.

But that is just me, being me. Good luck.

Colin

treefrog
07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I think I'll take the advice and get a replacement...heading back into the bush tomorrow morning early, with my GPS and a spare
twelve-pack of batteries;)

CanadianMike
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Cha-ching! At least info if not fixing it.

http://www.silvacompass.com/detail.aspx?id=76#3

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/navigationcompass.htm

treefrog
07-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Nicely done, Mike. Talk about finding the exact answer to the question!

I'll send it off to Silva with a note: 'I've all but destroyed this compass by my own neglect. Can you fix it free of charge?'

Luckily I'm hanging out mostly in the east section of my trapping area for the rest of the hunt, so I halfways know that territory;
shouldn't be needing search & rescue...

CanadianMike
08-11-2012, 12:01 PM
The google fu is strong with this one..... ;)

I remember seeing a compass bubble fix years ago, and went looking for it, luckily the needle deviation is there too. In the future, carry two compasses, and compare the readings of them before heading out. Even just a cheap dollar store one as a back up (even the Chinese know where north is).

David_JAFO
08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
hello,
A mate passed on these details to I last night, might be of interest?

Removing Bubbles from a Handheld Compass -

1. Inspect the seal around the circumference of your compass for signs of leakage.
Signs can include traces of moisture, an uneven seam or mineral deposits.
If you find any of these, your compass should be professionally repaired or replaced.

2. Place the compass on a sunny windowsill if you can't find any obvious signs of leaks.
Leave it undisturbed for two to three hours.
*Leave it near a warm Radiator as a suggestion?

3. Remove your compass from the windowsill once the bubbles have disappeared.
Warmth from sun exposure causes the liquid to expand and fill the bubble.

*Compass oil can be purchased from compass manufacturers or camping equipment retailers.
Boat and maritime equipment retailers may also carry compass oil.

Regards
David

Old Guard
09-11-2012, 12:53 AM
At what point does a bubble become an air pocket, because that bu@@er is big enough to save lives on an overturned vessel :shocked: