PDA

View Full Version : what kinda food

swkieran
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
just out of curiosty :o what sort of food do people take out with them,tin food would be out of the question i would imagine because of the weight and the fact you might have to carry litter back with you,meat would keep in the winter and its flat pack,do people use k rations or do some people just eat what they can find or catch

Martin
07-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Good question Kieran. I tend to take a wide variety of food out with me. Bacon and sausages will keep for two to three days if they are fresh to start with and they're not kept in heat or direct sunlight. Fresh beef steak is also good as it can be cooked to kill off any surface bacteria. In addition to meat, I tend to take porridge for breakfasts which is good made up with water and coffee mate as a milk/cream substitute. I also take boil in the bag meals, either from military ration packs or there are a wide range available at the supermarkets. In the shops, they are normally sold as microwaveable but that is exactly the same as boiling in the bag just a lot quicker. After that, don't forget the opportunities of dehydrated foods. Packet soup is great as is dehydrated soya mince such as Beanfeasts or Asda savoury mince. Snacks would comprise of nuts, seeds, chocolate, biscuits, cakes etc etc etc.

In the past, and we will repeat in future, we have made some great communal stews where people bring stuff along to be added to the big pot. We have had venison, rabbit, beef, pork etc along with numerous vegetables. We have also done a few communal spit roast joints of meat, particularly pork and beef. These meals have easily fed more than a dozen people.

One thing is for sure, we never go hungry when we go out in Cornwall.

Martin

JEEP
07-01-2011, 07:21 AM
When out on my own it is normally freeze dried boil in the bag meals. Though I usually bring a tin of meatballs in curry, pasta in tomatosauce, baked beans or tomato soup aswell.

When out with my fiancee, where we usually go by car due to her bad knee. We bring whartever we have in the fridge/freezer really, in a insulation box with a few frozen water bottles to keep the temperature down. Mostly I make some variation of pasta with sauce, but omelets, bread fried in egg, sausages, bacon and stews are high on the list aswell.

Edwin
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
If a short trip where water was limited I would carry tins which were ready hydrated and easy and quick to prepare. Never eat that much on the trail anyway. A fixed camp is different and at our most recent day camp in our wood we had a couple of rabbits stuffed with butter, apples and onions cooked on a barbecue.

comanighttrain
07-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Nuts!

Usually keep about about 2kg of nuts stuffed into pockets on my bag. Good high nutrition high calorie food that keeps for a long time also a few packets of jerky and a about a month of high concentration vitamin pills (more for emergancy than general consumption).

Also whatever I can pick up really...sausage and bacon is always good...eggs. Fill my flask with soup (or soup contents).

I havent ate much on the trail but hopefully do some collecting this year... Kale root, something about draining the syrup from a tree, rabbit, fish...the usual suspects. Fish is pretty easy as we used to fish when we were kids so I can already gut and fillet.

Also We have a thread on Biltong, Jerky and Pemmican (and other stuff that wil crop up) which I will try.

joshua
19-04-2011, 04:44 PM
i go out with mcr ration packs

kINGPIN
19-04-2011, 04:59 PM
When I first started out it was boil in the bag foods. Then I got myself a small frying pan and used the fire to cook me some sausages, mushrooms, onions etc. As martin said, sausages will keep for a few days so no worries there.