PDA

View Full Version : A Canvas Tarp, Perhaps?

OakAshandThorn
03-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm thinking about getting myself a decent tarp to replace my old Woods tent. The tent itself is fine, though it is a bit on the heavy side and rather bulky when packed. I know what size tarp I'll need, but I'm having a bit of difficulty in choosing the fabric. I'm leaning towards purchasing a canvas tarp because of its breathability and fire resistance, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up in wet conditions. I know that some canvas tarps are wax treated, which supposedly makes them waterproof. Anyone have experience with canvas tarps? Should I opt for polycotton?

Martin
03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure that breathability in a tarp is going to be a major issue or benefit? Canvas is so heavy when dry and will weigh a ton when wet. I'm also not sure it's the right material for a tarp at all, unless you are going by car or by horse? I guess it is fire resistant to a point, and waterproof qualities will probably improve once it's saturated but most tarps are lightweight, synthetic materials for good reason in my opinion.

Sorry that was a bit rambling but I've just got in and it's freezing outside. ;)

Martin

OakAshandThorn
03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Ah, don't worry about it ;). Thanks for the advice. Yeah, all the canvas tarps I've seen are quite heavy.

JonnyP
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I can highly recommend Tatonka poly cotton tarps. I have had one for some years now and its been well used, inc setting up over a fire many times and its still as good as when I bought it.. Infact its better, cos it smells of wood smoke :0P
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/shelter-sleep/tarps-bashas/tatonka-tarp-basha-2tc-technical-cotton.htm

Adam Savage
03-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm with Martin and Jonny. Tatonka polycotton (technical cotton) is a tough, yet fairly lightweight material. Being a cotton mix, it's more fire retardant than the polyester tarps.
As Martin says, breathability shouldn't be needed with a tarp, as (usually) at least two sides/end are off of the ground. It's not like a having a groundsheet sewn in, stopping the air circulating :)

Adam

Old Guard
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Waxed Canvas Tarps, are too heavy, I use them, for Living History camping, but there you can drive up to the site and drop all your kit off.

Modern Tarps are the way to go if you are going to carry it any distance :-)

OakAshandThorn
03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys :D.
Can't find any US seller of tatonka polycotton tarps, but I'll settle for synthetic.

Adam Savage
04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Try these guys. They not only sell the Tatonka TC for £20 less than most stores over here, but they will ship worldwide. Not sure what the shipping will be, but it's worth checking :)

http://www.peglers.co.uk/tatonka-tarp-2-tc/

JonnyP
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Try these guys. They not only sell the Tatonka TC for £20 less than most stores over here, but they will ship worldwide. Not sure what the shipping will be, but it's worth checking :)

I didn't know Peglers sold tarps..!
Peglers used to be my favourite local outdoor stuff store. They offer a first class service and have experts behind the counter rather than uninterested teenagers, that many stores have..
Its good to see they have a proper website now..

CanadianMike
04-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Just throwing it out there, but what about a painter's tarp? They are not overly heavy, come in various sizes (including really big!) and not too expensive. Plus, they are cotton.

Adam Savage
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I didn't know Peglers sold tarps..!
Peglers used to be my favourite local outdoor stuff store. They offer a first class service and have experts behind the counter rather than uninterested teenagers, that many stores have..
Its good to see they have a proper website now..

Good to hear that, since I ordered a tarp TC from them the other day lol.

Just throwing it out there, but what about a painter's tarp? They are not overly heavy, come in various sizes (including really big!) and not too expensive. Plus, they are cotton.

The trouble with 100% cotton, is it's hard to waterproof, and not sure if they are the same over there, but painters tarps here tend to be quite an open weave.
It would be worth trying though.

OakAshandThorn
04-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks! :D

OakAshandThorn
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Dang - I almost forgot about that! Thanks for the input. I might try Nessmuk's cotton-waterproofing method on it. ;)

Tigger004
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
That's a good tip Crazy Saint, they are cheapest at Peglers and free P & P

Adam Savage
04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys. Will have to check to see what else they have :D