PDA

View Full Version : Lowa Boots

brad
30-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Anybody out there got any experience with Lowa boots at all, I am looking for a good boot for African conditions.

beefcrisps
30-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I've used the British forces Lowa dessert boots as well as the meindl desert boots on 4 tours Afghan and 2 in Iraq and both are very good.

Lowa's Pro: Very strong, good wear on soles, good ankle support Con: Quite heavy
Meindls Pro: Very comfortable, again good wear on soles Con: A little narrower, higher on leg (pro & con?), feel lighter on feet

For use in Africa, personally if I was to chose which ones I would take it? it would probably be the meindls, purely on the fact they feel lighter on your feet and feel slightly cooler wearing them and would look more 'Civvy' and blend in, especially when worn with trousers. Con - you might like a bit of a nugget with them in shorts.......

Hope that helps a little?

moontanboy
30-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I got some brown Lowa's (called renegade I think). I've never had comfier boots than Lowa's, I haven't compared to other (hiking) brands but bought some at the start of the year and haven't had one blister despite walking miles in them, also very waterproof with no issues even this summer.

brad
03-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply it has helped a lot. I have eventually decided on Mid Moab Merrells instead. I think they are lighter and cooler just will not last as long and I am sure that they will not be as comfortable as the Lowa's but I will give it a try.