PDA

View Full Version : Seasons first avalanche

FishyFolk
30-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Some skiers set of the seasons first avalanche in my local area. All 3 of them was caught in it but all survived as they where lucky enough to float on top of it, and did not get buried. Last year 5 french tourists died in the same area. Make no mistake. Mother nature can be a right bitch if she catches you unprepared and/or doing something stupid.

SimonB
30-10-2012, 12:53 PM
They should seriouly consider themselves lucky..... Mother nature,+ PMT = bad news.... :(

fish
30-10-2012, 01:11 PM
i saw a program years ago on tv about avalanche safety,they reckoned a marine inflatable life jacket would keep you on top of one.

FishyFolk
30-10-2012, 03:50 PM
i saw a program years ago on tv about avalanche safety,they reckoned a marine inflatable life jacket would keep you on top of one.

I think it would get ripped right off you. They can move with a speed of 200km/h and the air displacement allone in front of one have thrown cars right off the road, BEFORE the snow hits it.

If you are buried it's imprtant that your friends start searching at once. The death rate goes up to 50% after 30 minutes. After 45 minutes 75% are dead. The snow will pack you in like concrete, and you won't be able to move, and you won't know what is up and what is down...so the best thing is not to be stupid and/or ignorant as always is the case when dealing with Mrs. Nature....