PDA

View Full Version : How's your weather?

Hathor
28-10-2012, 08:49 AM
First snow of winter here in central Europe and it was not the predicted smattering. I failed to get the garden tidied up and so I have a green tomato chutney making session this morning. On this day last year, I was sitting in a t-shirt watching the local carp ond being drained.

How is it were you are?

KaiTheIronHound
28-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Getting warmer, nowhere near as hot as she'll get though.

Tony1948
28-10-2012, 09:34 AM
A lot colder hear in the South East,UK no snow yet.

butchthedog
28-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Snow here on Saturday, just about gone now Sunday (noon)

AL...
28-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Snow over Friday and Saturday and rain today.
Scuppered my plans for the weekend :(

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
28-10-2012, 11:40 AM
First the temps dropped to miuns 5 for a week. Then it snowed around 30-40 cm. And rained on top of that. Then we had a windy day with gale force winds, with storm force ocationally, combined with rain and sleet. Then it snowed again, and today we have snow showers amid some sun, and zero degrees....making the world a wet place.

So I guess the weather is a tad undecided...

Martin
28-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Dull, grey and damp and 7°C at midnight, last night. It's still dull grey and damp and will remain that way until next spring, when it will get brighter, grey and damp.

Got to love the Cornish weather. :)

Martin

SimonB
28-10-2012, 01:35 PM
A bit nippy here in Yorkshire.... Grey sky, really fine drizzle, cold notherly wind... Typical summer day as it goes !!!! :)

Silverback
28-10-2012, 03:11 PM
We have had some very light snow in the higher parts of West Yorkshire, today is as Simon says grey, dull overcast and raining - summers back in gods own county

David_JAFO
28-10-2012, 03:43 PM
hello,
Same old Scottish extended winter of 18 months..light snow showers on the high ground
East Kilbride & the Clyde Valley/Lanark didn't come to much just very cold, today wet,
dull over cast, & cold.
Regards
David

OakAshandThorn
28-10-2012, 05:16 PM
HORRID. A blasted tropical storm is on the way to hit my state by late tonight/early tomorrow. Lots of flooding ahead, and I live at the bottom of two hills.
We did get a snowstorm last year (on the 29th of October, the day when the tropical storm is supposed to make landfall here) that dumped a good 25.5 cm of accumulation. Trees literally exploded because they couldn't handle the dramatically low temps and the weight of the snow. Power lines were knocked down, and I had no electricity from the 29th to the following Thursday. Some folks didn't get it back for weeks.
Sleeping in -6 C weather in an uninsulated house was unforgettable.

Hathor
28-10-2012, 05:56 PM
HORRID. A blasted tropical storm is on the way to hit my state by late tonight/early tomorrow. Lots of flooding ahead, and I live at the bottom of two hills.
We did get a snowstorm last year (on the 29th of October, the day when the tropical storm is supposed to make landfall here) that dumped a good 25.5 cm of accumulation. Trees literally exploded because they couldn't handle the dramatically low temps and the weight of the snow. Power lines were knocked down, and I had no electricity from the 29th to the following Thursday. Some folks didn't get it back for weeks.
Sleeping in -6 C weather in an uninsulated house was unforgettable.

This Super-storm is on the news channels over here. It looks horrendous.

Good luck and keep safe!!

AdrianRose
28-10-2012, 06:15 PM
It's been 28c and sunny here in Lancashire!!

Nah, only kidding its been raining all day and when it's not been raining, it's been p!55!ng it down.

:)

Ade.

craige
28-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Just outside Edinburgh, weather hasn't been too bad this past week, was camping Mon-thur and had a little rain Mon night and was cloudy most of the time. Coolest temp was 1c on wed night. It was nice after 2pmish. When I came back it was cool and wet Thursday afternoon then a low of -3c at night, since then it's just been drizzling on and off and temps from 2-12c currently 8c. Typical Scotland, totally unpredictable and one never knows how to dress. At least it's not windy!!! :D

OakAshandThorn
28-10-2012, 10:23 PM
This Super-storm is on the news channels over here. It looks horrendous.

Good luck and keep safe!!
Ye Gods! I didn't know it made international news.
Yeah, it sure does. At least it has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but that still means we'll get buckets of rain. I feel sorry for the folks down in New Jersey - they're getting the brunt of the storm.

jbrown14
29-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey OakAshandThorn,

I live up in Syracuse, NY and work for National Grid (yeah, the folks in the UK might recognize the name...) which covers most of NY and Mass; and I was in Massachusetts last year for about a week doing storm restoration. I heard what a debacle it was in Connecticut. It was pretty bad up in Mass too, and it didn't help that the people working for Grid who were running the Storm in Mass (who were from Mass) didn't seem to have any sense of urgency at all about getting things done and people out to work. My crew of about a dozen designers and planners sat in a room for about 8 hours one day with literally no assignments at all while executives were paraded around the building to see how many people they had responding to the storm. I'm told they saw me taking a nap on the floor...I'd only been working 16 to 19 hour days...

We're on call right now, ready to head home and pack when the call comes in. We had a strange, red sky this morning. Not like a sunrise, but a bizarre maroon hue across the entire sky. It was eerie.

Stay safe, and remember to treat all downed power lines like they're live! Stay away and stay alive.

All the best,

Josh

Chubbs
29-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Dull, grey and damp and 7°C at midnight, last night. It's still dull grey and damp and will remain that way until next spring, when it will get brighter, grey and damp.

Got to love the Cornish weather. :)

Martin

Still grey and damp down here in Cornwall with the occasional heavy shower. The rest of the week is pretty much the same, see below.

http://rp5.co.uk/241513/en

This is a great site that I use and is updated on a regular basis. Ooh, Saturday is looking like kite flying weather.

OakAshandThorn
29-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey OakAshandThorn,

I live up in Syracuse, NY and work for National Grid (yeah, the folks in the UK might recognize the name...) which covers most of NY and Mass; and I was in Massachusetts last year for about a week doing storm restoration. I heard what a debacle it was in Connecticut. It was pretty bad up in Mass too, and it didn't help that the people working for Grid who were running the Storm in Mass (who were from Mass) didn't seem to have any sense of urgency at all about getting things done and people out to work. My crew of about a dozen designers and planners sat in a room for about 8 hours one day with literally no assignments at all while executives were paraded around the building to see how many people they had responding to the storm. I'm told they saw me taking a nap on the floor...I'd only been working 16 to 19 hour days...

We're on call right now, ready to head home and pack when the call comes in. We had a strange, red sky this morning. Not like a sunrise, but a bizarre maroon hue across the entire sky. It was eerie.

Stay safe, and remember to treat all downed power lines like they're live! Stay away and stay alive.

All the best,

Josh
Wow...well, I guess that explains why CL&P took their sweet time last year. Everyone was infuriated at them, though of course CL&P claimed that it wasn't their fault - they put the blame on the trees. Bunch of idiots. Now they want to hack down any and all trees "too close to power lines". I don't see anything wrong with trimming (especially dead branches), but this is a bit too far. I know a bunch of environmentalist activists are protesting, and as a supporter of the Arbor Day Foundation, I'm one of them ;).
Yeah, I felt bad for the people in Massachusetts, because they were further north.
I won't even go within 50 feet of them ;).

jbrown14
29-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Now they want to hack down any and all trees "too close to power lines". I don't see anything wrong with trimming (especially dead branches), but this is a bit too far.

Sounds like the Arborists that we hire. If you tell them to "trim" a tree without giving them explicit instructions, they'll leave a ground-off stump. One of the reasons they had such a bad time in Mass was the lack of preventative tree trimming; there are some villages here around Syracuse which have historically more power outages than the surrounding areas because they will not allow any kind of tree trimming at all. I like my trees, but I also like to not have our company fined by the Public Service Commission for having too many people out of power too often for too long, so I understand when the lovely greenery is chopped... :(

Still just overcast here in Upstate NY, slight breeze, about 2 mph, I'd guess. Going home to split some firewood and get ready later.

David_JAFO
29-10-2012, 03:39 PM
hello,
Straight from my contacts at the DoD USMil & FEMA.
Regards
David

FishyFolk
29-10-2012, 04:53 PM
-Minus 5, clear skies, no wind, full moon. Unfortunately no Aurora tonight, or I would be out there in the dark with my trusty dSLR :-)

OakAshandThorn
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds like the Arborists that we hire. If you tell them to "trim" a tree without giving them explicit instructions, they'll leave a ground-off stump. One of the reasons they had such a bad time in Mass was the lack of preventative tree trimming; there are some villages here around Syracuse which have historically more power outages than the surrounding areas because they will not allow any kind of tree trimming at all. I like my trees, but I also like to not have our company fined by the Public Service Commission for having too many people out of power too often for too long, so I understand when the lovely greenery is chopped... :(

Still just overcast here in Upstate NY, slight breeze, about 2 mph, I'd guess. Going home to split some firewood and get ready later.
Just got power back in the evening yesterday after a few days without it. It was grand indeed to see the sun rise from a clear sky. I think last year's blizzard on the 29th was worse, but in any case, Sandy is now among the top five most costly hurricanes in US history, monetarily speaking. The folks down in West Virginia got dumped with about a meter of snow. Schools in my town of Danbury are out until next Monday. Some nearby towns have school out until next Thursday due to the significant percentage of power outages. As of 7 pm on Wednesday, my town had 43% of CL&P customers without electricity. I'm glad I'm not among that percentage.
Some poor man and his family lost their home on Monday when a massive White Oak collapsed on their roof and came crashing down through the house. They're lucky to be alive.

Yeah, I agree - though around here, even if you give them the instructions for trimming, they'll still chop off about 50% (sometimes more) of the tree. The only aborists I was ever on good terms with were from a Maine-based company. They trimmed a Norway Maple on the left side of the house that was a bit too close to the power lines. Only a branch or two had to go. The best part was that they recognized the Crimson Red Maple in the backyard as a threat to the house, and they were right on - the heartwood was hollowed out (eaten by some blasted bugs) throughout most of the tree. They offered to cut it down for us and process it into mulch. As a plus, they gave us most of the mulch to use in the garden. :D
Well, I hope nothing bad happens in your neck of the woods ;).