PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder school modern trapping series

treefrog
28-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Has anyone seen these videos? If so, what do you think of them?
IMO they do have some good info and a few pretty well thought-out sets, but beyond that, the skinning and pelt handling are
amateurish at best. I have no idea what is required in the U.S. to trap animals in terms of licencing and training,
but here in Canada if you wanted to set traps you would be required by law to complete an in-depth 40 hour course. Did he have similar training?
Watching the "skinning the catch" episode left me thinking the whole time that this is only about the third coyote
this guy's ever skinned. He did a clumsy hack job of it, but narrated like he was a seasoned pro.
No harm done I guess, gotta give the fella full marks for self-confidence. I just needed to call him on it.

Jack

AL...
28-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Can ye put up the link please Jack?

Cheers
AL

treefrog
28-10-2012, 02:10 AM
here it is Al...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WXhWy0B5V5A

AdrianRose
28-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I've watched all of these videos and it left me feeling wholly confused to be honest. By confused I mean, is it right? Is it justified? Is the manner in which he does it correct? Do I need to question my own animal welfare vs vermin control sensibilities? Etc etc

Here in Britain there is a whole raft of laws regarding trapping, especially the "foot hold" traps that he and others seem to favour. One particular instance is where he caught a live Coyote in a snare then proceeded to shoot it.

Part of me felt as a dog lover that this is wrong, however I fully appreciate the fact that they are considered vermin who attack and decimate livestock. Personally I feel it would have been better to hunt and quickly kill the animal rather than have it stuck in a snare for 8-12 hrs distressed before killing it.

You are absolutely right about the skinning/butchery video too, amateurish at best with a great deal of unnecessary hacking.

Ade

AL...
28-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh boy!!!
I sat through 2 of his vids and started to lose the will to live!! Man he realy likes to hear himself talk.

Cheers
AL

treefrog
28-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I think maybe he took a crash-course in trapping, then started teaching it a couple weeks later. He talks about the coyote being easier
to skin when warm, as if that's the way it's usually done. Ask any trapper...generally you find it frozen in the trap, take it back to camp and thaw
it out, then skin it. And if you want a nice pelt, either for personal use or sale, you want one that's in prime season, i.e. winter.
I don't know about his neck of the woods, but here coyotes are only trapped or shot out of prime season if they're nuisance animals.
Okay, I'll leave the poor bugger alone now. Good for him, he's having a pile of fun playing around in the bush, and here's cranky old me
giving him a hard time!

AL...
28-10-2012, 06:52 PM
LOL
he did seem to be all thumbs when he was tryin to skin that Yote .

Cheers
AL

OakAshandThorn
28-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I think the license and training stuff depends on in which state you live. Here in Connecticut, trapping is limited to fur-bearing animals, but there are tons of regulations on top of that, but nothing regarding specific training.
I can't say much about how he skinned the coyote, since I have no experience. The most I've ever done is processing whole fish into fillets and whatnot.