PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom season is peaking

Geoff Dann
21-10-2012, 09:23 AM
If you want to go mushrooming this year, now is the time to do it. Judging both by what I'm seeing, and what people are posting from other parts of the UK, the fungi think autumn is here.

Especially the parasols, and in particular shaggy parasols, which are having their best year I can remember.

Humakt
21-10-2012, 01:14 PM
True enough. I was out for a walk in the woods on Friday and saw loads of fungi, including this particularly fine specimen of a shaggy parasol:

Once that cap opens out I guestimate it'll be about 6"-7" across.

Hathor
21-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Same here in central Europe. Another bumper weekend of bedla (parasols) and hrib (penny buns). Lots of bright red ones with white spots as well...

Humakt
21-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Lots of bright red ones with white spots as well...

Yes, been seeing plenty of those as well. Mind you, our local woods have a lot of pine, so you'd expect to see a fair amount of fly agaric.

fish
21-10-2012, 06:18 PM
we used to see a fair few of them up at Priddy,but under beaches.

_Matt_
21-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Today i found an oak with more boletus edulis under and around than i could justifiably take home. I saw one growing under there a week ago and came back to find them everywhere, with some dinner plate sized specimens. I have been seeing a. muscaria for ages though. A lot of that around. I am also seeing Clitocybe nebularis everywhere now, a week ago i didn't really see any. I guess in future that might be a sign of ideal conditions.

Silverback
21-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Been out for a stroll today and saw more fungi than I could possibly name, and a few more to boot. Saw some amazing structures and colours, fascinating subject just wish I knew more about it

dannyreid1978
22-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Very true here in autumnal Lancashire I've found a vast variety in the last week, I've been hunting for them all spring and summer with not much to record but now woooooooooo they're everywhere!!!

Danny

Geoff Dann
22-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Today i found an oak with more boletus edulis under and around than i could justifiably take home. I saw one growing under there a week ago and came back to find them everywhere, with some dinner plate sized specimens. I have been seeing a. muscaria for ages though. A lot of that around. I am also seeing Clitocybe nebularis everywhere now, a week ago i didn't really see any. I guess in future that might be a sign of ideal conditions.

There are some places where the mushrooms are doing very well. I am beginning to conclude that this has to do with a healthy local population of something which likes eating slugs, such as hedgehogs.

AdrianRose
22-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Yep same here.

Despite my current back injury I went for a stroll out yesterday and saw several kilos of Honey Fungus, shaggy ink caps, shaggy pholiota etc etc.

Ade

twosmokeforever
25-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Yep same here.

Despite my current back injury I went for a stroll out yesterday and saw several kilos of Honey Fungus, shaggy ink caps, shaggy pholiota etc etc.

Ade

what do you do with the honey fungus? the last ones I cooked just didn't smell nice

twosmokeforever
25-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I've been doing well to, we had parasol in a veg & pigeon curry last night. and I'm thinking common funnel cap with stir fry tonight. Its just the boletes which are not playing only found the one so far

also the lawyers wigs seem to of gone now, and I enjoyed them. I think its the race to cook them

AdrianRose
25-10-2012, 07:05 AM
what do you do with the honey fungus? the last ones I cooked just didn't smell nice

We put them in a slowly cooked casserole. However BE WARNED when eating Honey Fungus, only have a small amount the first time round because they have been known to cause stomach upset in some people.

Ade.

Geoff Dann
25-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Sure they were honey fungus? I've recently walked past a patch of Pholiota Squarrosa with the caps neatly chopped off, presumably by a forager thinking it was honey fungus. I bet that doesn't taste/smell very nice.

fish
25-10-2012, 08:12 AM
how could you get those 2 mixed up?

Geoff Dann
25-10-2012, 08:25 AM
how could you get those 2 mixed up?

According to something posted in another thread on this board, somebody managed to mix up a deadly Cortianarius (which has gills) with a penny bun (which has pores). If you can get those two confused, then you can most certainly think that shaggy pholiota is honey fungus.

twosmokeforever
25-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I believe they were armillaria mellea (chunky type) I think they were too big to be shaggy pholiota, as they were all six inches growing on the edge of woodland in old rotton woodchippings

the smaller ones also had the web

but as they need to be well cooked I parboiled them and the water just didn't smell like I would want to eat them

and talking of plentyful times I dropped my little girl off at bristol airport today, and walking back to the car I found four species of fungi. It just didn't seem right to forage, av gas with that anyone?

Geoff Dann
25-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I believe they were armillaria mellea (chunky type) I think they were too big to be shaggy pholiota, as they were all six inches growing on the edge of woodland in old rotton woodchippings

Honey fungus doesn't grow on wood chippings. It grows on stumps and roots.

twosmokeforever
25-10-2012, 05:37 PM
wasn't 100% so didn't eat it, feel happy now