PDA

View Full Version : Msr xgk ex

GwersyllaCnau
18-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Thought I'd share my latest stove with you and the reason I like it.

This is now my favourite stove. It is not the smallest or the the lightest, nor is it the quickest, approx 1 minute and 10 seconds slower than the Sirocco stove (compared to one of my previous videos) and it wasn't cheap to buy; it is however cheap to run! At the time of buying the fuel that was used in the video petrol cost £1.38 per litre in the UK the stove used 19g of fuel to boil 500ml of water. After searching the internet I found out that 1ml of petrol weighs 0.737g this meant that the stove used 2.622pence to boil the water. The stove is also reliable and comes with a field maintenance kit.

http://youtu.be/YQ2z9fC9c04

Bob W
18-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I've got the MSR dragonfly and it's quicker than that, surprising because it's a very similar stove. Perhaps the wire mesh didn't help, I remember physics at school and the ignition point of a gas was affected by placing a gauze within certain points of the flame.

I'll put a video of the dragonfly up for comparison, it also sounds like a rocket launch.

NeedABrew
18-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Great video thanks! I also had a good mooch over your web sites - Brilliant all round, a very enjoyable visit.

FishyFolk
18-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I did a test of all my stoves a while back. And found out they where all equally fast when counting set up time. I.e from pack to boiling water.
With one exception. The gas canister type stove beat them all to dust in time.

So the only reason to chose one over the other would be consumtion and weight/ volum. My Gosystems stove with fuel is the same volume and weight as your MSR, but I never bring it anywhere due to weight and volume. The trangia stove is getting used a lot on day trips, as I need 50ml of fuel and it packs down small...

My fastest option is seldom used. Expensive gas cansisters that are heavy and too big.

GwersyllaCnau
19-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I've got the MSR dragonfly and it's quicker than that..... Perhaps the wire mesh didn't help...... it also sounds like a rocket launch.

I agree that the mesh probably slowed it down, but I use the mesh to keep the pot safely on the pot stand as due to the shape of the pot one of the 'legs' (are they called pot stand legs?) only goes under the pot by a couple of mm. And yes it is quite noisy.

I'm trying to convince my wife that I need the Honey stove as I can use the stove as a windshield for the MSR, the wire grill can be used to keep my pot on the MSR plus it can be used as a stand alone stove, the perfect multi function bit of outdoor kit..... so far she can't see past the £42 (from DD hammocks) after spending just over £100 on the MSR, £25 on the sirocco, £15 inc PP on the Swedish army mess kit, £15 on the mini trangia.... "What do you need ANOTHER stove for?!"

Great video thanks! I also had a good mooch over your web sites - Brilliant all round, a very enjoyable visit.

Thanks, my son especially will be pleased that someone enjoyed looking at his website. Mark Anthony Photography is now being phased out as I have grown to despise weddings which is in turn making me dislike photography, so I am trying to get away from weddings. My site is now Mynydd Du Photography. I have changed my signature.

I did a test of all my stoves a while back. And found out they where all equally fast when counting set up time. I.e from pack to boiling water.
With one exception. The gas canister type stove beat them all to dust in time.

So the only reason to chose one over the other would be consumtion and weight/ volum. My Gosystems stove with fuel is the same volume and weight as your MSR, but I never bring it anywhere due to weight and volume. The trangia stove is getting used a lot on day trips, as I need 50ml of fuel and it packs down small...

My fastest option is seldom used. Expensive gas cansisters that are heavy and too big.

I agree, my fastest stove is now never used. My gas stove is amazingly fast, relatively light and packs down small. It's only beaten on pack size and weight by the trangia. However, the MSR beats them all when considering COST TO RUN, it may not be the most fuel efficient i.e. may use more grams of fuel to boil water. I remember when I used my Trangia I was paying £2.50 for a 500ml bottle of meths and this would maybe last 3 trips. When using my gas stove the 500c canisters were costing me £6 and were on average lasting 3/4 trips. I also found gas frustrating as when the canister is becoming empty the boil times would become slower and slower, so in the end I would throw away a canister that still had gas in it. Plus I would take 2 canisters when I thought I may run out of gas. I payed £6.90 for 5 litres of petrol for the MSR, I've taken it on 4 trips and played about with it and have not used a litre yet.

Martin
19-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies.

...I'm trying to convince my wife that I need the Honey stove as I can use the stove as a windshield for the MSR, the wire grill can be used to keep my pot on the MSR plus it can be used as a stand alone stove, the perfect multi function bit of outdoor kit..... so far she can't see past the £42 (from DD hammocks) after spending just over £100 on the MSR, £25 on the sirocco, £15 inc PP on the Swedish army mess kit, £15 on the mini trangia.... "What do you need ANOTHER stove for?!"...

To keep you happy, obviously. Isn't that their sole aim in life...? :rolleyes:

Martin

AL...
19-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I would say so!!

Cheers
AL

GwersyllaCnau
19-10-2012, 12:01 PM
To keep you happy, obviously. Isn't that their sole aim in life...? :rolleyes:

Martin

And they're sooo SSHHHIIINNNYYYYYY :D