PDA

View Full Version : a new walking stick.

fish
05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
An essential bit of kit if yer out and about on unsteady ground,its one of our oldest common law rights is to cut a stick not thicker than yer thumb.
Over the Christmas period i managed to lose my stick whilst out and about one evening....but thats another story! so there i am with out a stick and given that i was waiting in all day for a theraband order that didnt arrive i thought ide make my new stick.
lurking by the fire side was a nice hazel stick i cut back in October from a local hedgerow,not overly straight,but then i dont like ultra straight stix ,for the collar i used a piece of scrap dimondwood from a catty i made and the stick top was an Exmoor deer crown from a 8 point stag i bagged a couple of years back.
The stick,collar and top were duly drilled with my trusty stanly hand drill,then a section of threaded bar inserted and glued together with epoxy resin.Cup of sweet tea and a bacon butty later and it was good and solid ready for shaping ,and polishing with 0000 wire wool,job done.
So many times i have set a coin in the crown of the antler,this time i thought ide do some carving,after looking in some books i fancied a go at a Tudor rose,this proved a tall order! so first thing this morn i started carving with the dremmel and an ultra fine routing burr having first drawn it out with a pencil,the job started ok but mid way i was very unhappy,and having spent 3 hours on it was a bit disappointed,time for lunch!
Once the pheasant pasty was washed down with a pint of cider i set back to the carving,the cider had had the desired effect and things started going better,after a bit of buggerin about i darkened around the rose with wood dye and bobs yer muvvers bruvva!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/DSC00993.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/DSC00992.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/DSC00994.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/DSC00990-1.jpg

thanks for looking.

CanadianMike
05-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Very nice, love the look of it, especially the flower.

JEEP
05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
That is truly beautiful :happy-clapping:

Fletching
05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Lovely stick Fish!

Steve

fish
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
cheers chaps,a good stick is usefull to infirm ,old and healthy alike,it can fend off an attacker,carry a load,test the depth of a stream,kill game,and with the tine on can pull fruit down to easy reach!

CanadianMike
06-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Old fashioned multitool, never thought of all that from a "cane". Show the rest of yer stick, how long is it?

fish
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
its 5 feet long i shal fit the bottom with a rubber cane foot for grip and to prevent wear. i shall be taking it out for a test hike this week,i am considering a shoulder strap too so i can put it on my back when i need both hands for shooting catapults etc.

JonnyP
06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Looks great that Justin..
What bits do you use on the dremmel..? There is one here I can use, but I have never used one before for carving..

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
That is beautiful, great work & thanks for sharing!

How have you finished the wood nearer the top, used anything in particular?

Thanks again,

jbrown14
06-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Absolutely beautiful, wonderful workmanship! The dimondwood looks almost like stacked leather washers on first inspection. Much more stylish and functional than my aluminum trekking poles. I am jealous.

paul standley
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I think everyone before me has said it all so just to say... Well done, very impressive.

Paul.

Metal mug
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
How did you lose your other stick fish? Is it an interesting story :confused:

fish
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
How did you lose your other stick fish? Is it an interesting story :confused:

well it involved salmon,Lord Pembroke and a boiled egg!

WoodTroll
24-02-2011, 09:01 AM
That is class

bigzee
02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Damned fine work that man!!! It would be good for pulling yerself up a slope/scramble. I think your "if in doubt make it stout" construction would stand it. If you had a rucksack with ice axe loops it would fit nicely in one of those to free up hands?