PDA

View Full Version : NaturalBushcraft Autumn Meet - 27th-29th Oct 2012

Ashley Cawley
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Pleased to announce...

NaturalBushcraft Autumn Meet 2012
Sat 27th - Mon 29th October
Click here for the Event Page (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html) which contains more information.
Feel free to leave your comments about the event here.

:happy-clapping:

:campfire: :camping:
It's been too long friends!

Bernie
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm really looking forward to it, but you have me down for Sun/Mon. I wish I could stay the Monday but work demands... I'll be arriving on Saturday evening (possibly late afternoon) and leaving on Sunday after lunch. I'll be able to come earlier on the Saturday if the Torridge is in spate again.

Kernowek Scouser
11-10-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm up on Dartmoor that weekend, so Saturday is out and a good chunk of Sunday, but I may be able to pop along on my way home, late Sunday afternoon, pull up a chair to camp fire and sneak in a(other) cheeky overnighter :D

What time are folks expected to PUAFO on the Monday?
I ask as after hiking the moor for a couple of days, I may need a little lie in.

John_McC
12-10-2012, 04:43 AM
would loved to of been able to attend but my weekend off is the following weekend :(
maybe next time

JonnyP
12-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Ashley.. Is it ok for me to bring my two children with me..?

Elen Sentier
12-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Would love to come but will be geting over an op on both feet! When will you have another one? I should be fine in the new year.

TeaBee
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry I can't make it this time but hope you have a great meet and that you'll organise another one before the Cornwall RV.

Otherwise, I'll see you at Easter.

Jan
12-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Are there any other youngsters going? Chey's 12 and it would be nice for her to have some young company too :o)

JonnyP
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Are there any other youngsters going? Chey's 12 and it would be nice for her to have some young company too :o)

Hi Jan.. My girl is 12 too. I am hoping to bring them (sons 14) to the meet..

Ashley Cawley
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm really looking forward to it, but you have me down for Sun/Mon. I wish I could stay the Monday but work demands... I'll be arriving on Saturday evening (possibly late afternoon) and leaving on Sunday after lunch. I'll be able to come earlier on the Saturday if the Torridge is in spate again.Sorry Bernie, typo which I have fixed.

Ashley Cawley
12-10-2012, 09:35 PM
What time are folks expected to PUAFO on the Monday?
I ask as after hiking the moor for a couple of days, I may need a little lie in.Anytime you like, no pressure there.

Ashley.. Is it ok for me to bring my two children with me..?Absolutely mate.

Chubbs
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
High there Ashley.

I would like to book two places for the meet, one for my son and the other for myself. I have tried to pay but I can not change the booking amount. Do you want me to do it seperately.

Cheers Neil

FishyFolk
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Make sure this is properly documented so that the rest of us can go camping with you too :-)

Jan
13-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks. I've paid for Chey and I for the Saturday night please. Shame we already have plans for the Monday or we'd stay then too. Really looking forward to it.

Ashley Cawley
13-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I would like to book two places for the meet, one for my son and the other for myself. I have tried to pay but I can not change the booking amount. Do you want me to do it separately.Hi Neil, just use the booking system twice to order two tickets.

Make sure this is properly documented so that the rest of us can go camping with you too :-)I'm sure they'll be some photos or videos. I think I heard Kieran & Tyler might shoot some footage.

Ashley Cawley
13-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I would like to book two places for the meet, one for my son and the other for myself. I have tried to pay but I can not change the booking amount. Do you want me to do it seperately.Ok, I've tweaked the booking system so you can change the quantities so order multiple tickets on the same order etc.

Chubbs
13-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Thankyou Ashley, all booked.

Looking forward to meeting some of the forum members and yourself.

JonnyP
13-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Me n two herberts booked up :0)

fish
13-10-2012, 04:22 PM
anyone going that may have a seat and are passing within 50 miles of me? BA12 6RQ happily pay petrol/diesel.(sorry no sexual favours)

fish
13-10-2012, 06:03 PM
are there bogs?

JonnyP
13-10-2012, 08:15 PM
anyone going that may have a seat and are passing within 50 miles of me? BA12 6RQ happily pay petrol/diesel.(sorry no sexual favours)

I will be picking my children up from Sussex, either the friday evening or saturday morning, so could get you there, but they are down here for a week, so you would need to find a way back to Wiltshire

Chubbs
13-10-2012, 09:29 PM
There is a top notch bog there mate !!.

This is the bog door
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/aneray/bushcraft040.jpg
There is your bog
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/aneray/bushcraft038.jpg
And there is the water to flush it
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/aneray/bushcraft039.jpg

Its like a sauna in there in the Summer !!.

I have stayed there a few times with my boy and the informal rules are that you can pee in the woods and do anything else in the toilet block. Mr Jones the owner is quite happy if you catch, shoot, hunt or trap rabbits and suchlike for the pot. He is a really nice guy who leaves you alone to enjoy your time there.

Cheers Neil

ADz
13-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow I would so love to go on this meet but looks like its too far away from me as I rely on public transport.

Anybody from up north (Near Hull, or near a train station) going down who can give me a lift? :D (Will share Fuel costs etc)

fish
14-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I will be picking my children up from Sussex, either the friday evening or saturday morning, so could get you there, but they are down here for a week, so you would need to find a way back to Wiltshire

now thats a thought,pencil me in for now,i will look see if anyone is returning this way.

Kieran
14-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally, I put down for Saturday & Sunday for me and Tyler, but as I am keen to keep my place in the Football team (and I play in goal so..) I changed it to Sunday and Monday :) Looking forward to it!

Kieran
14-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Sorry I can't make it this time but hope you have a great meet and that you'll organise another one before the Cornwall RV.

Otherwise, I'll see you at Easter.

Hi Jan.. My girl is 12 too. I am hoping to bring them (sons 14) to the meet..

Me and Tyler (Rural Survival buddies :-P )
are going.. I am 16 and in college.. He is 16 and in school.. I know we're older but.. haha they'll be fine

Marvell
15-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Sophie (aged 11) and I shall be there.

Kieran
15-10-2012, 06:01 PM
When do I have to pay by? :) haha

Kieran
15-10-2012, 06:12 PM
What are people using to sleep in?

Kieran
15-10-2012, 06:18 PM
What is everyone using to sleep?

Roadkillphil
15-10-2012, 06:26 PM
What is everyone using to sleep?

I'll set up my Hammuk, But if other nights in the woods are to go by, I'll sleep in my chair :D

Scott
15-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Hammock, tent, chair I cant decide

JonnyP
15-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I will of just had a journey to Sussex and back, so I think I will just crash in the lavvu cos its easy to set up..

Scott
15-10-2012, 07:02 PM
The lavvu is that a polish army one??

Kieran
15-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure what to use.. At the moment, I have nothing that is "small" I have a 2 man tent, with a porch though, so it's not the smallest and best for woods. Anyone got a hammock they want to sell? Or any hammock they can recommend online that isn't too much money?..

It won't be a waste, I have always wanted a hammock, just never had money to get one because something more necessary is always needed. I would love to give hammocking a go for a night, so would Tyler.

JonnyP
15-10-2012, 08:17 PM
The lavvu is that a polish army one??

No its a 6 man jobbie.. One pole, a few pegs n sorted..

Scott
15-10-2012, 08:37 PM
A nice small lavvu then Jonny lol

Chubbs
15-10-2012, 08:38 PM

My boy and I are trying out sleeping under a tarp for the first time. We are using a cheapy camo one which will be 12' x 15' and if we both enjoy it we will upgrade later on to a lighter, basha type one. Because of the bad back I will also be bringing along the kingsize airbed, the Czech bedrolls, an extra blanket and a chair !!.

What do you all think about using something like these to attatch to the tarp and then maybe making them a little longer by tying on some paracord and then securing the end to the ground with tentpegs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tarpaulin-ball-bungee-ropes-used-to-secure-tarps10-pack-/200824255149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec20ef2ad

Kieran
15-10-2012, 08:50 PM
My boy and I are trying out sleeping under a tarp for the first time. We are using a cheapy camo one which will be 12' x 15' and if we both enjoy it we will upgrade later on to a lighter, basha type one. Because of the bad back I will also be bringing along the kingsize airbed, the Czech bedrolls, an extra blanket and a chair !!.

What do you all think about using something like these to attatch to the tarp and then maybe making them a little longer by tying on some paracord and then securing the end to the ground with tentpegs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tarpaulin-ball-bungee-ropes-used-to-secure-tarps10-pack-/200824255149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec20ef2ad

They don't always hold under pressure.. :S the plastic bit may break off.. hrmm :S haven't used them much though.. so..

Bernie
15-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I'll be in a 3-man tent. Which is basically just big enough for me and my kit. I swear wherever they make these tents must be the land of little people.

If previous experiences are anything to go by, there'll be people sleeping in all manner of tents, hammocks and chairs. Okay, maybe not the latter, but the great thing about these meets is that people don't judge you by what tent or hammock you use. (Well, at least not to my face! ;))

It's just a great opportunity to get out of signal and play with sharps and fire, learn or teach something, then enjoy a few drinks before we all snore the wildlife away.

:camping: T^

jus_young
15-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Definately the hammock, its the only way I can guarantee being able to move in the morning. Really have gone right off tents since I started swinging from the trees.

Kieran
16-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I am arriving on Sunday. How will Woodland Valley know I've paid? hrmm.

fish
16-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Anyone got a hammock they want to sell? Or any hammock they can recommend online that isn't too much money?..

there was a dd hammock on gumtree yesterday,£25.00

fish
16-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I am arriving on Sunday. How will Woodland Valley know I've paid? hrmm.

didnt Ash email you? he did all of us,you need to go to main reception and say the code phrase: 'i am straight' and follow that with the special 'wink' ,then they will show you the way to the site.
aint that right fellas?;)

Chubbs
16-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Thats right Fish. I have taken the boy a couple of times and have had to say it, there is a thread here on the forum I created about our visit with loads of pictures.

Kieran, The office is based on the lefthand side of the barn but you will most probably find Mr Jones around that area anyway.

Ashley Cawley
17-10-2012, 06:10 AM

...the great thing about these meets is that people don't judge you by what tent or hammock you use...

Exactly why I'll be breaking out the all-in-one for this Meet
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/218966/Forums/NBC/images/all-in-one-fleece-snuggle-suits--pink-fleece.jpg

Ashley Cawley
17-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Kieran stop PM'ing me loads of questions & then asking the same ones on here - I'm swamped with PM's & emails as it is! :p

As I've said to you; I'll be paying the land-owner the rent/dues before the event, please try and pay via the website a week before.

Remember to read all of the Event Page (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html) back on the site!
Numerous questions you've already asked me in PM have been answered there :p

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html

fish
17-10-2012, 06:55 AM
ash that suit wont look thqat good on you! lol ime wearing my spiderman pj's.

f0rm4t
17-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Kieran stop PM'ing me loads of questions & then asking the same ones on here - I'm swamped with PM's & emails as it is! :p

As I've said to you; I'll be paying the land-owner the rent/dues before the event, please try and pay via the website a week before.

Remember to read all of the Event Page (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html) back on the site!
Numerous questions you've already asked me in PM have been answered there :p

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html

Awww! He's a young lad and he's excited.
Ignor Ash Kieran, He lives to answer your endless, endless, questions! In fact I'd PM him and ask if he's really really okay with it. HA! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZMWgW6QNuw

Kieran
17-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Awww! He's a young lad and he's excited.
Ignor Ash Kieran, He lives to answer your endless, endless, questions! In fact I'd PM him and ask if he's really really okay with it. HA! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZMWgW6QNuw

sorry ash ahahha

Ichneumon
18-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Drat! And double drat!

Almost every group in the country has chosen this weekend for a meet and I'd already committed to one. Otherwise I'd have been with you guys.

Organise another one soon and I'll be there.

ATB Paul

Kernowek Scouser
18-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Drat! And double drat!

Almost every group in the country has chosen this weekend for a meet and I'd already committed to one. Otherwise I'd have been with you guys.

Organise another one soon and I'll be there.

ATB Paul
I'm in the same boat (tent/hammock?).

It is bushcraft bus time, you hang about waiting for one and three turn up at once :D

Marvell
18-10-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm going to try get to both. Let's see how that goes.

KaiTheIronHound
20-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Pondering how fast i can get to the UK :P

Willburfierce
20-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi All, i am very much looking forward to joining you guys on the Saturday, Sadly i wont be able to stop over but i have a day ticket so I will be very happy to meet you guys. Cant wait.

fish
20-10-2012, 12:26 PM
BEEN THINKING OF NOW ELSE THAN THIS MEET !

anyone intrested in a mid winter meet?

fish
21-10-2012, 06:35 PM
weathers looking good too:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/ladock.jpg

Chubbs
21-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm always up for a meet Fish and no doubt my boy will be as well. It will be great to try out another area and meet forum members who can't make the Cornwall gathering.

fish
21-10-2012, 09:14 PM
where are you chubbs?

Chubbs
21-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Down here in Camborne, Cornwall mate.

I don't mind travelling a couple of hundred miles if given notice. This just gives SWMBO time to sort her working pattern out and also time for me to stash a little money away for petrol, food, etc, etc. I think my boy would also enjoy the travelling as it would be part of the adventure.

I would also consider picking people up on the way if they have no transport. At a push I could handle another three seeing as though we have an estate car, and if there was too much gear to load, I have a little trailer just over 4 x 3 if needed or tie it on top. This would work both ways as we could share petrol costs and give other bushcrafters down here the option of attending if they have no wheels.

Cheers Neil

fish
22-10-2012, 07:17 AM
sorted we will plan something for new year? maybe before? march to 0ctober we can camp at the bison farm where the wilderness gathering is held.

Kernowek Scouser
22-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm always up for a meet too, but often as now is sadly the case with the upcoming event(s), work gets in the way at the last minute and I am unable to attend.

So it would be a bit pointless of me to say 'Count Me In' at this juncture, but I will certainly register an interest to attend a mid winter meet, follow any discussion with interest, chip in now and then and maybe if the Gods are smiling on me, I might actually attend when whatever is organised rolls around.

Fish for reference, I'm based about six miles south west of Chubbs... in a nicer part of Cornwall:D

Having said that, I hope all who are lucky enough to attend this weekend, have a grand time, remember to take the odd picture (Yes, I know that is a bit rich coming from Mr Iforgottotakemycamerawithme) and share a tale or two with the rest of us.

fish
22-10-2012, 12:55 PM
any chance you could just send the bird in yer avatar in your place? dont worry about camping gear she can share with me...

Kernowek Scouser
22-10-2012, 01:32 PM
My avatar not me, it is Razor Ruddock (long story short, he played for Liverpool and that pic was the only one I could find with Bushy - Scouse / LFC connection, when I set up my account).

So basically, I have no idea who the bird is, but if I ever make her acquaintance, I will encourage her to be my bushy substitute, for any meets I can not attend :D

Kieran
22-10-2012, 05:00 PM
After not working on Sundays for ages, McDonalds have decided to schedule me work on the Sunday of this event. I have asked for it as paid holiday, as I do have holidays which I am entitled to.

What I am going to do, is pay for the nights camp, then try my best to get down on Sunday, even if I end up leaving work early. But I will get down there!

f0rm4t
22-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Guys, please please make sure you all take lots of pictures and videos!!!
Always a pleasure to sit and see what you all got up to :D
Have a blast.
T^

Chubbs
22-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Just sat there with the missus and seen the weather for the weekend and oooh, theres going to be an Artic Blast hitting the whole country !!. Its not going to be too bad down here but it will be a tad cold during the early hours of Sunday morning.

Because I hate the cold and my boy will be with me I have now changed what we were going to sleep in, from a tarp to a four man tent, a queensize airbed, a quilt underblanket, a Czech Bed Roll and a couple of extra wool blankets !!!!. This may be classed as poshcrafting and I wouldn't want to steal Martin's crown :tongue:, but needs must, and I have a dodgy back !!!.

So when we meet for the first time, don't take the p**s too much !!, blame it on the weather.

Ashley Cawley
23-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi All, i am very much looking forward to joining you guys on the Saturday, Sadly i wont be able to stop over but i have a day ticket so I will be very happy to meet you guys. Cant wait.:welcome: to the community pard.

weathers looking good tooEarly days but looking good :)

...but needs must, and I have a dodgy back !!!. So when we meet for the first time, don't take the p**s too much !!, blame it on the weather.Unfortunately Martin cannot make this one, so someone had to take his place didn't they!

Large air-beds are not a good idea in really cold/minus temperatures but the good news is it won't be that cold!

Jan
23-10-2012, 01:11 PM
We're taking a tent to sleep in but, if I manage to fit a hammock in my pack would anyone be able to show me how to put it up? I know there are videos to watch but my brain doesn't work that way, I need to see it in the flesh :) I have a DD Travel Hammock and tarp, is there anything else I should have bought?

ADz
23-10-2012, 01:41 PM
We're taking a tent to sleep in but, if I manage to fit a hammock in my pack would anyone be able to show me how to put it up? I know there are videos to watch but my brain doesn't work that way, I need to see it in the flesh :) I have a DD Travel Hammock and tarp, is there anything else I should have bought?

I wouldn't worry about it, The whole idea of the meets are to swap ideas, learn and enjoy company and from what I have seen since joining this forum and watching sites vids they are a very friendly bunch. I'm quite sure there will be various people there who would love to show you the ropes (excuse the pun) :)

AL...
23-10-2012, 02:05 PM
More likley to laugh with you than at you :D

Cheers
AL

jus_young
23-10-2012, 04:09 PM

There will be a good few tree dwellers about including myself so I don't think that will be a problem. It will probably be better to leave any additional gear until after the meet and you will have a good idea of what will suit you best.

Roadkillphil
23-10-2012, 04:56 PM
There will be a good few tree dwellers about including myself so I don't think that will be a problem. It will probably be better to leave any additional gear until after the meet and you will have a good idea of what will suit you best.

To add to that Jan, I'm laying bets that out of all the tree dwellers there, you won't find two with exactly the same suspension or tarp rigging. I've tried various methods of suspension and tarp setup and have found something I'm happy with, but everyone is different so this event will give you a good idea of the different methods.

Not long now folks, I'm really lookin forward to this weekend :D

Ashley Cawley
23-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a DD Travel Hammock and tarp, is there anything else I should have bought?Hi Jan,

I like to keep my setup fairly simple but I would recommend in the long run using karabiners to stop rain (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/shelter/dd-hammock-karabiner-mod-rain-proof-your-hammock.html) running down your hammock webbing in prolonged downpours. Also you will still need a insulation layer underneath you and your sleeping bag, a roll-matt is fine or under-blanket.

The great thing is about these meets is they'll be plenty of different hammock setups and plenty of people willing to show and share (just remember to ask) :)

Ashley Cawley
23-10-2012, 08:08 PM
And of course you've got a good basic intro to hammocking here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhtWrIInE). ;)

Ashley Cawley
23-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Hey folks,
Just to let you know on the Saturday evening we will be cooking up a large communal Rabbit Stew, :campfire: enough for you all :o so that's one less meal you have to plan for if you want some.

The vegetarian option is the Pennywort behind the Beech tree. :rolleyes:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8117019801_aff4e1f6ab.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycawley/8117019801/)
Pennywort (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycawley/8117019801/) by Ashley Cawley (http://www.flickr.com/people/ashleycawley/), on Flickr

We've got a delivery of 15 Rabbits turning up this evening, Phil and I will be prepping them around midnight tonight. Kudos to Phil for organising those.

fish
23-10-2012, 08:54 PM
woohoo! and ime out friday night to see if i can get some pheasants to bring!

Chubbs
23-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Ashley and crew

Is there anything else that you need for the food that I can help with. I really don't mind chipping in to help.

jus_young
23-10-2012, 10:23 PM
All packed and ready to go! :happy-clapping:

fish
24-10-2012, 07:01 AM
ime bringing a lot of trade goods anyone doing the same?

Bernie
24-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm totally unprepared. I'm away from home and won't have much time to get my kit together on the Friday night before I go canoeing on the Saturday before joining you. So expect me to be the one looking lost and forlorn under a tree somewhere, cursing myself for forgetting the (insert forgotten item here) and wondering whether I should've stayed home and slept because these 12-hour days in the office are draining my batteries something chronic.

Then again, the fresh air and outdoor life might just have me buzzing about with axes and knives, making all manner of things. :D

Oh please let it be the latter; please please please.

Chubbs
24-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Don't worry mate, the boy and me are bringing a queen sized airbed. So if you need a decent kip for a few hours you can sleep away on it.

Ashley Cawley
25-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi Folks,

Not long now till the Natural Bushcraft Autumn Meet! The weather is looking good; a bright sunny weekend but there is a cold snap coming so make sure you wrap-up warm and bring bedding appropriate for single figure temperatures.

If you have not yet paid for your ticket yet then please do so here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/nbc-oct-2012-meet-payment.html). This is a fairly small event, we have limited it to around 25 people.

If you can, please arrive at Woodland Valley to meet in the car park for 10am on the Saturday, if you can't make that time you will have to make your own way down to the wood. There is a new route marked on the map so please take note of it as there is another group using a different part of the woodland and our old route went through this, I'd like to avoid us bothering them. Both the Car Park and where we will be camping are marked on the Map which is on the Event page here: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html You can click on the points on the map to get more detail.

There is a communal Rabbit stew on the Saturday evening which everyone is welcome to.

Remember to bring your camping chair and a mug for a brew! Everything else is optional ;)

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch, I don't have a mobile so you'll have to try me on the bull-roarer.

JonnyP
25-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I got me a 500 mile journey on saturday, so I won't be there till later in the day. Which part of the wood are we in and are there markers showing the new route..?
I cannot print the map out..

jus_young
25-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I got me a 500 mile journey on saturday, so I won't be there till later in the day. Which part of the wood are we in and are there markers showing the new route..?

PM sent with my number. Could try giving me a ring when you arrive (providing I can get a signal) then I can walk up and give you a hand down with your stuff whilst showing you the way :)

Ashley Cawley
26-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Sorry folks, I forgot to mention we will be in the Beech End of the woods, which is the orange route marked on the map (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events/naturalbushcraft-autumn-meet-sat-27th-29th-oct-2012.html).

For a full size map with more printable options click this link: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207460136682696541027.0004cce7ebdf4709ce04 6&msa=0

JonnyP
26-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Cheers guys.. See you there :0)

jus_young
26-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Bring the waterproofs, looks like rain is forecast for a while. Off to get me a few of those sheep now to wrap around me in an effort to keep warm. Damn it's cold out in these fields!

Roadkillphil
26-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Last minute prep happening here.... 9 woodies and a big bag o veg to prep for the stooo. Packing my sleep gear, then off to kingsley for some Refreshments for the weekend :D

jus_young
26-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm sure looking forward to this stew. How big is this pot going going to be with 15 rabbits, 9 woodies and all the veg! At least there's no chance of getting cold as its going to take a bonfire to heat up a Dutch oven that big

JonnyP
26-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Talking of pots, I have a massive stainless steel billy for big stews. I can bring it along if its needed..

Roadkillphil
26-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Sat by the fire here, Tis ansum, on me tod but for the owls and me badger. See you all on the morra. Tis gonna be jolly old weekend to be sure :)

f0rm4t
26-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Sat by the fire here, Tis ansum, on me tod but for the owls and me badger. See you all on the morra. Tis gonna be jolly old weekend to be sure :)

Quality times Phil..!!!

Ashley Cawley
26-10-2012, 07:57 PM
We've got two dutch ovens on the go chaps, although that pot *may* be needed Jonny if you wouldn't mind bringing it?

Sat by the fire here, Tis ansum, on me tod but for the owls and me badger. See you all on the morra. Tis gonna be jolly old weekend to be sure :)DON'T GET EATON BY THE BADGERS PHIL!!

I was down in the wood this evening, Phil and I setup the chute, man it looks lovely, nice carpet of leaves :o Big thanks to Matt & Phil for lugging gear down there earlier today. Here's a short clip from down there this evening, it's recorded on my crappy iPod camera... http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycawley/8125699538/in/photostream?likes_hd=1

fish
26-10-2012, 08:13 PM
looks nice,not many well spaced trees for tree dwellers though!lol

fish
26-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I think i am prepared,high calorie and high carb foods for the duration,am taking home cured bacon and chicken fillets too.I just finished making my first under quilt for my hammock,i just hope its warm enough,its made from a 15 tog duvet backed with space blanket type material to reflect body heat all covered in 1.1 O.D ripstop nylon,for top layer i have a Snugpack Antarctica 2 sleeping bag which i will use as a top quilt,and over the top of me will be a DDtarp .
so you guys got any tips on keeping warm or for winter hanging?

Scott
26-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Looking forward to it, im in newquay just wish I hadn't smashed my bumper on the way down. See you all tomorrow.

Kernowek Scouser
26-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Gutted I will not now be able to pop along on Sunday, have a great time fellas, looking forward to the pics.

jus_young
26-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I think i am prepared,high calorie and high carb foods for the duration,am taking home cured bacon and chicken fillets too.I just finished making my first under quilt for my hammock,i just hope its warm enough,its made from a 15 tog duvet backed with space blanket type material to reflect body heat all covered in 1.1 O.D ripstop nylon,for top layer i have a Snugpack Antarctica 2 sleeping bag which i will use as a top quilt,and over the top of me will be a DDtarp .
so you guys got any tips on keeping warm or for winter hanging?

Its just getting it set up right now Fish but thats not going to be a problem with the amount of tree dwellers there.

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2012, 06:00 AM
looks nice,not many well spaced trees for tree dwellers though!lolI wouldn't worry, there is plenty more trees closer together.

Ashley Cawley
27-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Looks like it's going to be nice and sunny but remember to bring plenty of warm clothes as there is a Northerly arctic wind which will bring the coldest weather we've seen so far this Autumn.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

:camping:

f0rm4t
27-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Got up and let the hounds out this morning and instantly thought of you lads, so took a look at the inside-outside digi thermometer.
20° inside, 1.7° outside! :shocked: Hell knows what it was at 3am.

Would love to be there with you all. I love testing my kit to the limits.

Remember! Layer layers layers people!!!!! (and a hot water bottle ;))

Hope you have a wonderful time.

jus_young
27-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Tis a lovely evening down here at Ladock. Just had a cracking rabbit and pigeon stew. Not too bad around the fire but you know we're in for a cold night.

AL...
27-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Have a great time lads :)

JonnyP
28-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys for organising this one, and providing us with a yummy stew. Good to catch up with you all and meet new friends :0)
I am really flagging now..

rosseveritt
28-10-2012, 04:42 PM
A big thx to Ash et al for a brilliant time. A special thx to Scott for teaching Chey to shoot. It was great to see you all again and look forward to more regular meets. T^ :happy-clapping:

Chubbs
29-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks to everybody for making our stay a brilliant experience for our first time out on a forum meet. It was great to put names to faces for the first time and I hope that Brad and I will be made welcome again in the future. Special thanks go to mine hosts Ash, Phil and whoever else organised the event, it really was top class and even though we didn't stay for the whole camp, we both came away having learnt a lot,filling our heads with priceless info which will make our camps much more comfortable in the future.. Thanks also go to Ashley's father who helped me down with our kit strapped to a golf trolly to save my back !!, and to Scott who gave Brad his first shooting lesson and for his impromptu entertainment around the fire after a few lemonade shandies.

With us both very new to this bushcraft lark I in particular was amazed at the workmanship of the handmade knives that were passed around to look at. Every time I was passed a different knife the words wow and amazing came out several times due to the fact that I have never seen homemade knives before with such quality, especially the one made by forum member Bernie out of an old file which you could have shaved with and took the hairs off my arm with the slightest glance.

Now its time to talk about Fish. Well what can I say other than he was one of the most friendly, likeable, knowledgeable and generous guys I have ever met in my life. I spent a while talking to him and wish I had more time to carry on. This guy has a completely different outlook on life compared to me and is bursting at the seams with knowledge, and I should say he has forgot more in life than I have ever learnt. I hope that after our meeting he would consider me a friend for life because he is one hell of a guy and it would be a privilege for him to say so. On a more personal note my boy Brad would also like to thank him for the gift he gave him as we left camp.We had said our goodbyes when Fish called him back and said that he had a little something for him. He reached into his bag and pulled out one of his handmade catapults and placed it in his hands. All the way home Brad talked about nothing but Fish and the catapult and also left him with a big smile and a long lasting impression of 'The Big Man'.

Before I forget, sometime during the night most of the camp were woken by what Ashley described as 'the sound of somebody been attacked by an axe murderer'. Apparently it was that loud that he could hear it even though he was listening to music through his headphones. I don't know much about this because I was asleep, so no doubt others will fill you all in once they get home.

Finally all I want to say is, if you haven't yet been on a Natural Bushcraft meet before, do it, its a great experience and you really do meet some friendly like minded people from all walks of life. Even though Brad was tired, he didn't want to leave camp and when we arrived home he was straight outside in the back garden with his new catapult aiming at cans.

Thanks everybody, we had a great time.

Marvell
29-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Splendid to see you all again and to meet new people. Will someone grab my chair please x

AL...
29-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Beautiful write up Chubbs :D
It sounds like a fantastic time and Im looking forward to seeing some photos .
Im well happy for yer son and his new Catapult. Fish's Slingshots are known the world over and they are second to none in my book. (Ihave one too).
Thanks again

Cheers
AL

Roadkillphil
29-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, a fine n ansum time was had. Was great to catch up with old friends and meet new folks. Yes it was pretty cold, but nothing to complain about really... the fire was roaring in the evening and I was toasty snug in my hammock. Was great to meet the ancient and mystical legend that is Fish ;) Massive thanks to all for a great weekend. Here's a few of my pics, but I know that Ash n Fish have got loadsa gooduns.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8135443553_e393f57d0b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135443553/)
Rabbit n woodpigeon stoo! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135443553/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8135452786_75e3de1ab9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135452786/)
Chestnuts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135452786/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8135421281_e230ded77f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135421281/)
Ashley's bowdrill demo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/8135421281/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

Cheers

Phil

fish
29-10-2012, 05:53 PM
A big thanks to all my new friends that made it such a successful weekend,not for getting the legend that is crazysaint222 without whom i couldnt have goten there at all!,its the first time in seven years that ive been away on my own for a weekend,and boy what a weekend it was!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03410.jpg
once set up i went and met the crowd who were all busy chattin and whitlin ,Ashly was busying about making the stew for the evenings meal,

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03412.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03413.jpg

as night fell the temperature dropped to zero c :
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03423.jpg

but the group fire was roaring away and kept us all nice and warm:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03415.jpg

after many hours happily chatting and having just the best time i made my way to my hammock with my new hand made under quilt fitted:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03425.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03427.jpg

but not before a bit of supper cooked on my new tree shelf,the sausages must have smelled good because i cooked 18 and only got 3 myself,a chap with sausages at near 1am is a popular chap!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03426.jpg

The night was cold but i was reasonably warm ,though i did suffer that hangers problem of 'i need a wee but its so cosey in here' , at about 4 am i and most of kernow were awoken by a chap having a fight in his sleep (naming no names!) .The following morning breakfast was cooked and out day of sharing anecdotes and knowledge started,and what a knowledgeable lot they were.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03430.jpg

heres a view of the camp area from the 'long drop ' bog:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03432.jpg

Int afternoon Ashley entertained us all with his bow drill fire making using a hazel hearth and drill:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03437.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03438.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03439.jpg

A few members made their way home in the early evening and it was sad to see them go,now with a smaller group left of chaps we could get down to discussing Phils genital topiary whilst the rabbit stew was cooked expertly again:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03445.jpg

after this was devoured a game of truth or drink was played by the others,and well can you guess which member has ever tipped a disabled chap out of a wheel chair? lol (answers on a post card!) .If i said that Sunday evening was the best of my life i would be under stating it,we all laughed ,joked and told tales,at times i was near tears with the tales told by former military members who have been through hell and back,and other times i near wet myself at some of the antics this lot have gotten up to.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03447.jpg

it was another late night and in the small hours i made my way back to the hammock and enjoyed a warm and comfortable nights sleep in my uk hammocks hammock.During the night it rained like hell ,the drops beating on my dd tarp enough to awaken me,but all the gear stood solid and nothing got wet .
By the morning the sun was out in time for breakfast:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03454.jpg

The communal area was already abuz with chat and activity with the waft of coffee and bacon in the air!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03455.jpg

All in all a very fine weekend ,just cant wait till the next meet up,i came away feeling that i had made some lifelong friendships ,many thanks to Ash ,Phil and all the others.

Roadkillphil
29-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Crackin pics Fish! Cheers me ansum, was a crackin weekend indeed :D I'll remember the correct refreshments next time ;) :p

AL...
29-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Fantastic write up and pic's .. Wish I was with you guys. But maybe next time :)
Thanks for sharin.

Cheers
AL

fish
29-10-2012, 06:25 PM
would be 'ansum' to see you there Al!

rosseveritt
29-10-2012, 07:19 PM
A big thanks to all my new friends that made it such a successful weekend,not for getting the legend that is crazysaint222 without whom i couldnt have goten there at all!,its the first time in seven years that ive been away on my own for a weekend,and boy what a weekend it was!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03410.jpg
once set up i went and met the crowd who were all busy chattin and whitlin ,Ashly was busying about making the stew for the evenings meal,

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03412.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03413.jpg

as night fell the temperature dropped to zero c :
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03423.jpg

but the group fire was roaring away and kept us all nice and warm:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03415.jpg

after many hours happily chatting and having just the best time i made my way to my hammock with my new hand made under quilt fitted:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03425.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03427.jpg

but not before a bit of supper cooked on my new tree shelf,the sausages must have smelled good because i cooked 18 and only got 3 myself,a chap with sausages at near 1am is a popular chap!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03426.jpg

The night was cold but i was reasonably warm ,though i did suffer that hangers problem of 'i need a wee but its so cosey in here' , at about 4 am i and most of kernow were awoken by a chap having a fight in his sleep (naming no names!) .The following morning breakfast was cooked and out day of sharing anecdotes and knowledge started,and what a knowledgeable lot they were.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03430.jpg

heres a view of the camp area from the 'long drop ' bog:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03432.jpg

Int afternoon Ashley entertained us all with his bow drill fire making using a hazel hearth and drill:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03437.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03438.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03439.jpg

A few members made their way home in the early evening and it was sad to see them go,now with a smaller group left of chaps we could get down to discussing Phils genital topiary whilst the rabbit stew was cooked expertly again:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03445.jpg

after this was devoured a game of truth or drink was played by the others,and well can you guess which member has ever tipped a disabled chap out of a wheel chair? lol (answers on a post card!) .If i said that Sunday evening was the best of my life i would be under stating it,we all laughed ,joked and told tales,at times i was near tears with the tales told by former military members who have been through hell and back,and other times i near wet myself at some of the antics this lot have gotten up to.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03447.jpg

it was another late night and in the small hours i made my way back to the hammock and enjoyed a warm and comfortable nights sleep in my uk hammocks hammock.During the night it rained like hell ,the drops beating on my dd tarp enough to awaken me,but all the gear stood solid and nothing got wet .
By the morning the sun was out in time for breakfast:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03454.jpg

The communal area was already abuz with chat and activity with the waft of coffee and bacon in the air!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03455.jpg

All in all a very fine weekend ,just cant wait till the next meet up,i came away feeling that i had made some lifelong friendships ,many thanks to Ash ,Phil and all the others.

Great write up. Was a pleasure to meet you at last. :)

f0rm4t
29-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Bravo fish!
Nothing like hurting from laughing with like minded friends is there?

Really happy you had a whale of a time and even happier the kit stood up to the challenge. I hope one day I can join you all.
East to West is a commitment though.

Brilliant pictures!

Kernowek Scouser
29-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Great write ups and great pictures. It looks like you all had a grand time :D

I'm gutted I could not make this one, especially as I'm only down the road, but hopefully there will be another in the not too distant future and I'll be able to I make that one.

Ashley Cawley
29-10-2012, 07:44 PM
would be 'ansum' to see you there Al!He's getting more Cornish by the day! Twas an ansum weekend ;)

Was great to catch up with some old-friends I haven't seen in a while like Bernie etc. and great to meet new ones like fish - What a man! What knowledge, generosity & comedy!

Met some lovely new folk, shame they couldn't stay for longer.

I'm just working on editing & uploading the photos now.

Thanks for a great weekend one and all.

Ashley Cawley
29-10-2012, 07:56 PM
My photos from this event are now in the Natural Bushcraft Gallery on the site @ http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/photo-gallery/natural-bushcraft-autumn-meet-2012.html

You can also view them at Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycawley/sets/72157631883105556/

Bernie
29-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I was intending to canoe the Torridge with friends in the morning and come down in the late afternoon/evening, but then decided that it would be too much. Since I canoe more than I camp out, I cancelled the canoeing. You can read about what I missed out on here (http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?38406-A-Sunny-day-on-the-Upper-Torridge).

It took me a few hours to drive down, but I remembered the way from the main road and took it easy.

I met Andy and Jo in the car park as they returned for a few things. Just as I was heading down, Will arrived and we walked down together. It's amazing how I'm immediately at ease with like minded people I've never even met before.

After a short stroll into the woods, Ashley came over to great us and I quickly looked about and chose a spot to pitch my tent. Once that was done, I decided a little lunch was in order and warmed up a tin of sausages and beans to have with some bread rolls. Not long after sorting out my grumbling tummy, I was chatting with people and soon started carving a spoon (as you do). When Ashley offered a go at axe throwing I dropped my things like a thief in the act and joined him and a few others to learn the skills of Tomahawk throwing.

I came second in a little competition we had, but regardless of placing, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We returned to camp and soon after that we were invited to fillet a few pigeon for the stew. Always keen to get stuck in, I signed up and was plucking feathers and skinning breasts before filleting the breasts cleanly from the carcase. Not unlike chicken in shape, but a much deeper red - more like a good steak. I was stoked at this point. Not even a whole day in camp and already I'd learnt two things I had not expected to learn. Frankly, I expected to just sit about chatting, whittling, eating and drinking.

I returned to my spoon carving and once finished, decided I'd carve a spatula as well. They're far easier, quicker, and almost as useful. It really should be what people carve before they carve spoons.

All day there was good conversation with good people, sharing stories and jokes well into the night. We saw various things people had made, showed our efforts and were given advice and encouragement. Unusual for a "bushcrafty" meet, there was music (which I thoroughly enjoyed). It was like a relaxed party with old friends.

There are few times when I get to relax and I can't rush back home to do this or that. I was completely chilled out.

The night was cold, and my tent is very thin, but I was in a down sleeping bag inside my larger sleeping bag. I was toasty. :D

Sadly, after coffee and bacon in the morning, I beat a hasty retreat to spend the rest of the day with my wife and children before the weekend would be over.

And now a few photos (sorry about the quality - camera phone and all that)...

Walking into camp:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H94qOwf9vYI/UI7hqtuIgmI/AAAAAAAAHVk/SLjaJXluuxQ/s851/IMAG1613.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bIwRps05Dzk/UI7hf06N_hI/AAAAAAAAHVU/Se1kp_wa2zQ/s851/IMAG1611.jpg

Our axe throwing party:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jK3MgZ9KMq0/UI7f4X8kbLI/AAAAAAAAHXc/ejoL4Lf0iHw/s851/IMAG1590.jpg

Scott about to throw his third (first two already in the tree):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9XoUW8iVNgQ/UI7gTaIpT2I/AAAAAAAAHTk/4UpFSU9an0E/s851/IMAG1595.jpg

Isn't this a beautiful season to be out?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KE9iLwEwvdM/UI7hPMAPMcI/AAAAAAAAHU8/mXqMg9_zwzs/s641/IMAG1607.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-l22ANgH0oGo/UI7hw0ZLTHI/AAAAAAAAHVs/ghfeIgJU3ZU/s851/IMAG1614.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z7Ybfhif5wg/UI7hlvXe4iI/AAAAAAAAHVc/k_b8cRM3fww/s851/IMAG1612.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mzKm2yjBqek/UI7h2P_UVjI/AAAAAAAAHV0/GyhsTvPU8hs/s851/IMAG1615.jpg

Artists fungus (if my memory serves me well):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qRnB-CJHpFQ/UI7h7DRakJI/AAAAAAAAHV8/b1LwCgZ12xc/s851/IMAG1616.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n_1wCNqDVro/UI7iAQerC_I/AAAAAAAAHWE/qt0zlL6mFnI/s851/IMAG1617.jpg

Sitting around the camp fire:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jPvPvvuGLLc/UI7iFiF4L2I/AAAAAAAAHWM/djBBulnmuMM/s851/IMAG1618.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AkiM4KT0oYI/UI7haZwm-UI/AAAAAAAAHVM/ijOTKeWG9jI/s851/IMAG1610.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mHz62gJj9WE/UI7iLJ3SiJI/AAAAAAAAHWU/iL3yKXY8tfQ/s641/IMAG1619.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yWqMOWkcE_8/UI7iQO39LrI/AAAAAAAAHWc/_zmiKMjDHzs/s851/IMAG1620.jpg

Scott
29-10-2012, 08:18 PM
The pictures are looking good, I'll get mine uploaded as soon as possible. Thanks all for a great weekend

jus_young
29-10-2012, 09:27 PM
What a chilled out weekend! I have not come home so relaxed in a very long time. Thanks folks for such a good meet, as is often the case it was good to see familiar faces again but also see folks for the first time, after all its the company that make an event what it is. One person that will stay in my mind for a long time to come will be the great man himself, fish. Quite honestly this is one person that you really want around a campfire as he often had us in stitches, thanks big man - you are a legend!

I would like to give my thanks to the chefs for the best rabbit and pigeon stew and to all that helped to organise the event. And thanks to those that attended, your company was excellent as always.

And just to finish it all off I had a double rainbow over Dartmoor on the way home, one happy chappy :D

Jan
29-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Cheyenne and I loved it and can't wait for the next time. We'd have stayed for the second night if Chey didn't have an appointment to have her waist length hair all cut off on the Monday.

It's great to meet so many people willingly sharing knowledge, tips, experience, passion, food, equipment, whisky, expertise in a friendly, unassuming manner.

I've posted rarely on the forum, but read lots, and it was great to try to match names to faces.

Thanks to each and every one of you for making the weekend a memory to treasure :happy-clapping:

treefrog
29-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Looks like you guys had a blast...wish I could have been there too!

Jack

fish
30-10-2012, 08:55 AM
my idea of heaven has changed, i would like to spend eternity there.

Marvell
30-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Will someone grab my chair please x

Seems I've misplaced the filtering insert to my cup. Anyone manage to grab that?

Steve

mr.punch
30-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I was told by Fish about this meet and would loved to have made it but my son had his open day at Bangor university, he is going to take a PHD in environmental sciences and what a beautiful place he has chosen to study.

Never mind I will be there next time with my boys.

Still I got to make a nice cuppa on Snowdon so not all bad, Sounds like you all had a great time I would have loved to have given the tomahawk throwing a go.:happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
30-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Seems I've misplaced the filtering insert to my cup. Anyone manage to grab that?

Steve

Both your bits were found mate, I think Ash said he was going to post you the filter insert, and I think Phil was going to bring your chair on his way to the big sheep (think that's right), so hopefully you'll be reunited soon.

Adam Savage
30-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Was a great weekend, and a welcome break from the workshop. Great so see the usual suspects again and have a proper chat with them, as well as meet a lot of new faces. Fish's presence has not been exaggerated. He's got a wealth of knowledge to share and a friendly way to share it. No matter what your ability, he can give you the info in an easy to follow format.

Fantastic work by Ash, Phil, Scott and Matt for organising the meet, and getting all the kit down to site (and back again). Sorry I couldn't help carry some of the gear up to the vehicles lads. I'll have to get the portable forge sorted in the future, to help make up for it.

What more can I say that hasn't already been said?

Fantastic time, with fantastic folk.

Adam

fish
30-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I was told by Fish about this meet and would loved to have made it but my son had his open day at Bangor university, he is going to take a PHD in environmental sciences and what a beautiful place he has chosen to study.

Never mind I will be there next time with my boys.

Still I got to make a nice cuppa on Snowdon so not all bad, Sounds like you all had a great time I would have loved to have given the tomahawk throwing a go.:happy-clapping:

that pic is ansum,needs to be shown here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/394260@N24/

TreeCamper
30-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Great photos Fish, Ash and all.

Have been scanning through this thread to make sure I have not missed any..
A bit of cold weather sure brings out your appetite and all that grub sounded lovely or should I say Ansum.

How many Tree Dwellers attended?

Hope someone has shot a bit of vid that would be great to see.

thanks for all the reports guys

TC

Psycho
30-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Really lovely photos!
That makes me wish that I was there, too... Looks like a really great and unforgettable weekend! =)

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Hope me and my wife are able to come to a NaturalBushcraft meet soon. But at the moment it is unfortunately impossible for us to come =(

Ashley Cawley
30-10-2012, 01:42 PM
How many Tree Dwellers attended?
7 that I can think of off the top of my head, probably more.

Hope someone has shot a bit of vid that would be great to see.Unfortunately I didn't shoot much vid, just 25 seconds of around camp which I will publish here shortly...

Ashley Cawley
30-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately I didn't shoot much vid, just 25 seconds of around camp which I will publish here shortly...

Here's the tiny bit of footage I shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmODX2acTs

I could do with hiring a camera-man lol.. there's always so much going on I struggle to remember to get the camera out.

Adam Savage
30-10-2012, 03:08 PM
You got more footage than I did. Like you say, busy chatting/listening/whittling/drinking to remember filming anything lol.

AL...
30-10-2012, 05:52 PM
AAAAWWWHHHH Wheres the rest of it Ash???
:D
Cheers
AL

AL...
30-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh never mind I just read back a couple of posts!! :ashamed:

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
30-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't think anyone will blame you for having too much fun to remember to video stuff and what little footage there is, makes me feel even more gutted I could not make this meet.

BUT, what is youtube playing at?

Watched your vid, then was presented with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCd9E1mkTGY&NR=1&feature=endscreen
as an 'Other video you may like'

Before anyone shouts 'Savile' in my direction, I only clicked on this video link to see if there was any bushcraft related content therein.

Sadly there was not, but I now have a better understanding as to why folks occasionally go mad with guns in the US of A.

I'm not condoning such actions, just saying I can kind of understand it.

paulthefish2009
30-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Ha Ha KS,I thought the same thing!! Paul

Badger 73
30-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi all , i sadly dont log on all that often so i've only just dropped on to this thread. I only wish i had spotted it sooner . Is anyone able to come along to meets normally or is it a club thing cuz it sounds ace, or ansum! As i've said before i'm an all the gear no idea sort of a bloke at the mo' fumbling about , but lovin it, . Looks like a great time was had an i'd love to drop in on one some time if poss' cheers Daz.

fish
30-10-2012, 08:17 PM
all are welcome but must be
A) insane
B)have a like for sharps.
C) insane.

Adam Savage
30-10-2012, 08:21 PM
all are welcome but must be
A) insane
B)have a like for sharps.
C) insane.

And failing that, an insanely sharp thing would do :p

AL...
30-10-2012, 08:21 PM
And bein a bit loopy helps too!!! :D

Cheers
AL

mr.punch
30-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I am a major pyro would I fit in an I love sharp things and shooty things too

Ashley Cawley
30-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Watched your vid, then was presented with this ... as an 'Other video you may like'...:off-topic:

Badger 73
30-10-2012, 09:16 PM
A)tick
B)tick
C)tick
And wanna light anything dry enough) tick.
Ace , Just tell me when and where . Cheers guys, all the best , Daz.:campfire::D

Shewie
30-10-2012, 09:20 PM
That looks like a great time, love the pics guys

If only you lot were 300 miles further north :)

jus_young
30-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Steve

I have your chair but not sure about the coffee cup insert, will have a look when I unpack.

Chubbs
30-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi all , i sadly dont log on all that often so i've only just dropped on to this thread. I only wish i had spotted it sooner . Is anyone able to come along to meets normally or is it a club thing cuz it sounds ace, or ansum! As i've said before i'm an all the gear no idea sort of a bloke at the mo' fumbling about , but lovin it, . Looks like a great time was had an i'd love to drop in on one some time if poss' cheers Daz.

As long as you snore loudly !!

Marvell
30-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I have your chair but not sure about the coffee cup insert, will have a look when I unpack.

It may have fallen from my bag at some point. It's not a biggy.

EDIT: Seems Ash has it ... excellent

EDIT: Oh no he doesn't :-)

Badger 73
31-10-2012, 06:30 PM
As long as you snore loudly !!
That i do! especially with an ale in me belly! (so says my wife, but i've never heard me)!

Chubbs
31-10-2012, 07:33 PM
That i do! especially with an ale in me belly! (so says my wife, but i've never heard me)!

Now that sounds familiar, just ask my neighbours on the meet !!. Poor people, I must have sounded like a dying gorilla.

Adam Savage
02-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Just found a couple pics on my phone from the weekend. Nothing special, but thought I'd chuck them on.

First one shows (from left to right) Phil's "excited" face, Ash's brother (Joe I think) and father, Ash tending the grub (Bernie is hiding behind him), and then I think (sorry if I'm wrong) it's Chey (Cheyenne) hiding behind the tripod, with Ross at the end...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0935.jpg

And this one shows Ash's father (again, sorry for forgetting his name Ash), Bernie, Ash, Chey (possibly), Ross (possibly), and Jan (...you guessed it...possibly)...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0934.jpg

Jan
03-11-2012, 12:17 AM
The 'possiblies' are all correct. :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
03-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Fantastic. The grey matter still works...sometimes :D

Martin
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
And Ash's dad is the world famous Gerry Cawley. He even has his own Wikipedia page. He's a proper legend and a bloody nice bloke. :)

Martin

Adam Savage
03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
And Ash's dad is the world famous Gerry Cawley. He even has his own Wikipedia page. He's a proper legend and a bloody nice bloke. :)

Martin

Thanks Martin. From the brief time I saw him, his "top blokiness" was evident :).

I shall be sure to check out the Wiki entry.

Chubbs
03-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Martin. From the brief time I saw him, his "top blokiness" was evident :).

I shall be sure to check out the Wiki entry.

He's a nice guy, helped old bad back here down with his kit.

Sorry for going off topic but have just watched a few vids of Ash and Gerry on Youtube. Wow, if it was me in the ring with any of them I would have a bust spine within seconds !!. Major respect guys, looks an absolute brilliant sport.

Ashley Cawley
04-11-2012, 04:26 PM
And this one shows Ash's father (again, sorry for forgetting his name Ash)No probs Rob :p

MartinLOL he does have his own Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Cawley) actually and we never created it!

... just watched a few vids of Ash and Gerry on Youtube. Wow, if it was me in the ring with any of them I would have a bust spine within seconds !!. Major respect guys, looks an absolute brilliant sport.It is a brilliant sport and tradition, my father and I have recently brought back an annual Cornish Wrestling Tournament at St Mawgan each July, if you're interested in hearing a brief history/origins of the sport (narrated by my Dad Gerry), you'll also see some action, also if you look close you might seen a NaturalBushcraft Stand, Phil, Matt or Martin & me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRgjwylTLo

fish
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
good video that!

Tigger004
04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Being a judoka for many years I found this very interesting, Thank You ashley
No probs Rob :p

LOL he does have his own Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Cawley) actually and we never created it!

It is a brilliant sport and tradition, my father and I have recently brought back an annual Cornish Wrestling Tournament at St Mawgan each July, if you're interested in hearing a brief history/origins of the sport (narrated by my Dad Gerry), you'll also see some action, also if you look close you might seen a NaturalBushcraft Stand, Phil, Matt or Martin & me ;)

Adam Savage
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Rob Approved T^ :p

Roadkillphil
04-11-2012, 06:30 PM
"Although, if you look at Hurlin, then we probably invented rugby anyway, they've just refined it ent they"

One of my favourite quotes Ever! I ain't Cornish, I'm a northerner by birth, full of Irish blood mind. But I've lived down here for ten years in the beautiful town n parish of St Columb Major and I'm more staunchly proud of the traditions and values here than I ever was of Lancashire. I love to see both the fine traditions of Cornish Wrasslin and Cornish Hurling, never had a go at wrasslin, but I loves the Hurlin as does my boy, who likes to remind me regularly of how he's a Cornishman and I ain't!!

"hyrlîan yw gen gwaré nyi"

f0rm4t
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
No probs Rob :p

LOL he does have his own Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Cawley) actually and we never created it!

It is a brilliant sport and tradition, my father and I have recently brought back an annual Cornish Wrestling Tournament at St Mawgan each July, if you're interested in hearing a brief history/origins of the sport (narrated by my Dad Gerry), you'll also see some action, also if you look close you might seen a NaturalBushcraft Stand, Phil, Matt or Martin & me ;)

Ha! Bloody brilliant that was Ash. Nice one bud T^

Great to see a community, driven by individuals like yourself and your Father, doing all they can to maintain a tradition. Puts a smile on my face watching it.
The videographer did a bloody good job on that too. That's up there with the ability of any of my guys!

Was it a professional edit?