PDA

View Full Version : Way too close

treefrog
06-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Would you let it get this close? Not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUqbO2_0XQ&feature=player_detailpage

FishyFolk
06-10-2012, 06:45 AM
In that situation....yes.
Ona normal walk in the forrest...I'd be looking for a tree. Well, that depends on the time of year.
And by the way....it's not the horns on them you have to be aware of as many an elk hound have found out....it's the hooves. They'll kick you to death...
Most dangerous critter in Norwegian woods...and we have wolves and bears too

Tony1948
06-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Now put it across you'r sholder's and carry it out:happy-clapping:

GalaxyRider
10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Why didn't he shoot it in the side of the head shortly beore he shot it in the shoulder?

AL...
10-10-2012, 11:51 PM
A bow shot on the head of that monster would have done nothin but piss it off.
he took the best shot he could 5 yard lung and heart shot . second thing he did was change his shorts!
Stunning beast it is too :)

Cheers
AL

treefrog
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
You got that right, Al. The walnut of a brain can't be called a vital organ in a swamp donkey...:zombie-fighting:.

You can paddle up to within 5 yards of them in summer when they're feeding and they can't be bothered to look at you...mating
season is a whole different game.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/algjuly2011006.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/algjuly2011052.jpg

paulthefish2009
11-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Nice shots Treefrog. Are they honestly that stupid? Paul

f0rm4t
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Can't help but think: "Awwww!". But I bet it's good eating!
Would they keep it, sell it, or a bit of both? That's a lot of meat.

Great snaps TreeFrog.

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Grand Beastie!

I remember Les Stroud saying they were the most dangerous animals in North Canada during the mating season

AL...
11-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Old Scottish saying......... "If thats a Moose How big's a Rat"????????
I'll get me coat!

Cheers
AL

treefrog
11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice shots Treefrog. Are they honestly that stupid? Paul

Paul, I really don't know what goes on in their brains; they're smart enough to survive and multiply, anyway. No shortage of them!

treefrog
11-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Can't help but think: "Awwww!". But I bet it's good eating!
Would they keep it, sell it, or a bit of both? That's a lot of meat.

Great snaps TreeFrog.

I'm pretty sure it's not legal to sell the meat. Just about every rural Canadian has a freezer full of it. For me, it's tastier than venison,
but too much expense and work. We have a very small moose population in this area, so we have to drive north of here to get good hunting.
I used to go moose hunting in Temagami every october, but now I just hunt deer around home. Gutting and skinning a moose is a major operation;
and yes, they have a lot of meat on them. One year we shot a moose that dressed out 700 pounds; we figure it weighed maybe 1300.
Most are 700-900? (my guess).

treefrog
11-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Grand Beastie!

I remember Les Stroud saying they were the most dangerous animals in North Canada during the mating season

Yes, I've heard people say such things. I believe it, but I've never had any personal experience with aggressive moose.
As I say, we don't live in proper moose country, but I'm sure the folks in the north have plenty of stories.

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I've been tempted by Canada many times... it's my ideal place!

The idea of a Freezer full of moose blows me away!

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
They are moose hunting in the forrest behind my house as we speak. Plenty of them here. When hunting season is over they normally have to employ hunters to cull mor eof them, as the season hunters don't have a chance to shoot off the numbers that need to be killed to keep the population stable and healthy. But that is with rifles only. Bow hunting is illegal here, but the govrnment is sort of on the slide towards legalising bow hunting.

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 12:46 PM
They are moose hunting in the forrest behind my house as we speak. Plenty of them here. When hunting season is over they normally have to employ hunters to cull mor eof them, as the season hunters don't have a chance to shoot off the numbers that need to be killed to keep the population stable and healthy. But that is with rifles only. Bow hunting is illegal here, but the govrnment is sort of on the slide towards legalising bow hunting.

I'd love to hunt in Norway - do they let foreigners do it?

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I'd love to hunt in Norway - do they let foreigners do it?

Yes, but it will cost you a couple of arms and legs...
Also you must be able to document that you fill the criteria to hunt in your home country, and these documents must be sent in advance to the hunting authority here, alloing with a small licence fee.
Then you need a permission from the landowner, who will demand a LOT of money from you since you are a foreigner.

For moose you need a team, as it is not likely taht you will be able to take care of the kill properly allone...

But you can also hunt for deer on the west coast and Trøndelag. Or Reindeer in the southern Mountains. In the north thay are tame and owned by the samii. If you shoot one here, they shoot you....

I am sure there are some palces that will be able to guide you in and assist you for a small fortune of your money...Google and you should find.
Wer do get the odd German hunter here...

For small game it's easier. Just prove that you fill the crieteria at home, with paid government licence in hand, go to a post office and get a local small game licence, bring your shotgun and go.

The only wepaons legal are rifles and shotguns. For big game there is criteria towards what calibers are allowed....and there is a shooting test you have to pass. I'e place five shots into the deadly area of full size reindeer figure from the side at 100 meters distance in the prone position. You must use the same rifle you used in the test, in the actual hunt.

AL...
11-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Cheeper to pay the fine for a slingshot im thinkin LOL

Cheers
AL

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah flamin eck, that'll be that idea out the window

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Cheeper to pay the fine for a slingshot im thinkin LOL

Cheers
AL

He he, got my slingshot now.
A fellow Norwegian bushcrafter sent me a whole survival kit he has made. Ammong the contents was the sling part of a slingshot. Just need a pice of Y shaped woood now, lol

When I am rested up after the last days happenings, I may sneak off into the forest and make a video to show it off :-)

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 01:51 PM
You can still come here and go big game fishing. We are pulling Hallibut to 65lb out of the harbour here, shore fishing...and the record at sea is 470lb halibut....
Cod to 60lb is not uncommon either :-)

And you do NOT need a licence. Just rent a boat and go out...

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I feel like saying this to a Norwegian may cause some shock...but... I don't like the taste of fish

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I feel like saying this to a Norwegian may cause some shock...but... I don't like the taste of fish

So what! Bring yer meths stove, go ashore on some islet, and cook yourself some bacon. :-)

comanighttrain
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
So what! Bring yer meths stove, go ashore on some islet, and cook yourself some bacon. :-)

hahaha! but whats the point of catching a fish to eat bacon :P

FishyFolk
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
hahaha! but whats the point of catching a fish to eat bacon :P

Let me worry about the eating of fish. Besides when you taste fresh cought cod, boiled in sea water served with new potatoes, boiled cod liver and boiled cod caviar witrh a siding of sea gulls eggs, all washed down you neck with Mack beer, you will forget you don't like fish anyway....

f0rm4t
11-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Let me worry about the eating of fish. Besides when you taste fresh cought cod, boiled in sea water served with new potatoes, boiled cod liver and boiled cod caviar witrh a siding of sea gulls eggs, all washed down you neck with Mack beer, you will forget you don't like fish anyway....

<Paul wipes his mouth of drool>
Rune, that sounds bloody wonderful sir! :D

fish
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
imagine the stuff you could make with those antlers!

AL...
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
imagine the stuff you could make with those antlers!

Was thinkin the very same thing myself mate :D

Cheers
AL

Proventurer
12-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Would you let it get this close? Not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUqbO2_0XQ&feature=player_detailpage

Ok guys,
You've covered the aspects of the moose very well, but how about the shot itself?
Whatever the poundage of the bow, at best you will get 300+ feet per second from the arrow as against a good hunting rifle which will deliver a bullet up to ten times that.
Plus he was shooting in a wooded area with the danger of a deflection by even the smallest of branches/saplings, whatever!
Most successful hunting shots are out to a distance of 30 yards, 40 yards at a pinch, that would never of been the case here so drawing the animal in close was a given.
He was lucky the animal quatered to his position in order he could get in the lung shot and to hold a bow at full draw for that amount of time was a major feat in itself.
We don't have moose here in Africa, but bow hunters have taken Cape buffalo and even Elephant neither of which I would advocate getting close to, but needs must and the important thing is a well placed shot, so under the conditions I'd say he did well!

KaiTheIronHound
19-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Good shot, not the brightest of critters though that moose. I'd certainly allow it to get that close if i had a bow in my hand. Rifle is a different story, but if i can sit on my arse with a bow and wait for the critter to close to 5 yards, all the better for me.

@Proventurer, thats a compound bow, almost no effort to hold one at full draw all day. Cams take most of the draw weight for you at full draw.

Proventurer
19-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Good shot, not the brightest of critters though that moose. I'd certainly allow it to get that close if i had a bow in my hand. Rifle is a different story, but if i can sit on my arse with a bow and wait for the critter to close to 5 yards, all the better for me.

@Proventurer, thats a compound bow, almost no effort to hold one at full draw all day. Cams take most of the draw weight for you at full draw.

Thanks Kai, but I beg to differ, I own three different compound bows and there's no way you're going to sit at full draw with my 75lb hunting bow for long!

KaiTheIronHound
21-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Mine runs 75 pounds at last check, and i can hold the draw for quite some time. Then again, i do own a few 80+ pound long bows and have been shooting since i was 4, so 20 odd years now, so perhaps i'm used to holding the weight.

fish
21-10-2012, 09:34 AM
WITH THE CHANCE OF KILLING A MOOSE I WOULD HOLD IT TILL KINGDOM COME! i shoot a 50lb pearson recurve bow so i draw when ready to shoot.

KaiTheIronHound
21-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree fish, too much tasty meat there to let the shot pass. Besides, in the video it looked like he was using a release rather than his fingers, and that thing hooks to the wrist, thereby avoiding the weak rapid twitch muscles that govern the hand.

fish
21-10-2012, 09:39 AM
never liked releases or compounds for that matter,they do what they do just to well,i mean once zeroed in that bow wont miss a thing ,all the skill has been taken out,might as well use a crossbow in my opinion.

KaiTheIronHound
21-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I use a compound lately because of a dodgy shoulder, that let-off on the weight allows me an easier time of it, but i agree, much prefer traditional bows, and will be getting back into using them more as soon as my shoulder will allow.

fish
21-10-2012, 09:44 AM
ime not judging folk who do use them mate.