PDA

View Full Version : Knife making- help.

Aaron Rushton
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
hi all,
right, i'd like to make my own knife. i've foudn a pretty good website for suppilies, english handmade knives, but i have no idea how to carve, fix the blade into the handle and add bone end and caps in. is at easy as shaping with a hammer and chisel and some sandpaper, and gluing the blade into the handle, or is there more tools needed?
ATB

CanadianMike
04-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Depends on if you buy a full tang knife (where you slap handle sides on) or a stick tang type (where you stack various materials on top of another).

Aaron Rushton
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
the blades i was looking at had stick tang :)

Bernie
04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I would STRONGLY recommend watching Green Pete's knife making video. You can download the whole DVD from various places online.

Edit: Though his is for a full tang knife from a file so maybe not what you're after. It might still give you ideas about shaping, making an edge, and how to temper the steel.

Ashley Cawley
04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I would STRONGLY recommend watching Green Pete's knife making video. You can download the whole DVD from various places online...
I would agree with Bernie, it would be worth watching GreenPete's video and other videos on youtube on knife-making just to pick-up tips. You can stream GreenPete's video here: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft/46-resources/373-greenpetes-knife-making-video-stream-or-download-the-dvd.html

And I also documented the entire process of me making my first knife here: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft/43-kit-reviews/24-making-a-bushcraft-knife-with-a-homemade-forge.html

Hope some of that helps, keep us update on how you get on.

Aaron Rushton
04-01-2011, 08:38 PM
thanks for the help guys!

CanadianMike
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you should search around britishblades.com to find a wealth of info on putting a handle on a premade knife blade. But even though you aren't going the route GreenPete does, I also recommend his video and see if you want to do that at some pont.

Aaron Rushton
04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
i've watched a few of his videos and read ashleys guid and they were very informative!

Tony1948
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Aaron, Have a look at my file blades, the dear antler and the black handle knifes are both stick handle, if you click on my profile picture then go down to my album.Any other questions feel free to ask.