_Matt_
02-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Does anyone here eat Common Puffballs?

fish
02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
i dont,only giants.

Tony1948
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm with Fish...............Big one's,MMMMMMM,Nice.

AdrianRose
02-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I have eaten a good few common Puffballs (god i hope that's not a euphemism for something else!).

Whilst they have been pleasant enough, they almost always have a tendency to go a bit soft and squishy and haven't really got a significantly interesting taste.

Use them as a "filler" for risotto or. Stews rather than as a food in their own right - if that makes sense.

All the best

Ade.

Geoff Dann
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Does anyone here eat Common Puffballs?

Yes, regularly. Why?

Geoff Dann
02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Whilst they have been pleasant enough, they almost always have a tendency to go a bit soft and squishy and haven't really got a significantly interesting taste.

I can't agree with that. I'd say they have a unique and distinct taste, that is not to everybody's liking. :-)

_Matt_
02-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Because i tried looking in google for information on them in regards to eating (i know they are edible but nothing more) but can't find much. Everything that comes up refers to the Giant Puffball.

Geoff Dann
02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Because i tried looking in google for information on them in regards to eating (i know they are edible but nothing more) but can't find much. Everything that comes up refers to the Giant Puffball.

Hi Matt.

Here is my guide to the puffballs.

http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/fungiindex.htm#Puffballs

Most of these have recently, after DNA testing, been moved to the same family as the agaricuses (shop and field mushroom relatives) and macrolepiotas (parasols). You wouldn't believe it to look at them.

Geoff

_Matt_
02-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Cheers! Looks like the rest of the page will be very useful too.

_Matt_
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
P.S. I like that all the info i want is there in one place (concise). Very convenient for reference.

Geoff Dann
03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the process of putting together a much more comprehensive and complete guide. Should be done by about March.

:-)

Geoff

_Matt_
07-10-2012, 07:25 PM
How do you feel about 'Russula ochroleuca'?

AdrianRose
07-10-2012, 08:21 PM

They have quite a strong taste really. The yellow Russula's have a habit of taking on the taste of whatever medium they are growing in. Especially true if they are found under pine trees, they can taste quite "earthy".

Ade.

Geoff Dann
07-10-2012, 10:52 PM

I feel I'm glad I can rely on it to show up!

Adam Savage
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Quick Quote...(Wikipedia) I know they may not always be correct on there, but I think they have the common puffball pretty much covered.

Lycoperdon perlatum is considered to be a good edible mushroom when young, when the gleba is still homogeneous and white. They have been referred to as "poor man's sweetbread" due to their texture and flavor. The fruit bodies can be eaten after slicing and frying in batter or egg and breadcrumbs,[11] or used in soups as a substitute for dumplings.[19] As early as 1861, Elias Fries recommended them dried and served with salt, pepper, and oil.[20] The puffballs become inedible as they mature: the gleba becomes yellow-tinged then finally develops into a mass of powdery olive-green spores. L. perlatum is one of several edible species sold in markets in the Mexican states of Puebla and Tlaxcala.[21][22] The fruit bodies are appealing to other animals as well: the northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) includes the puffball in their diet of non-truffle fungi,[23] while the "puffball beetle" Caenocara subglobosum uses the fruit body for shelter and breeding.[24] Nutritional analysis indicates that the puffballs are a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fats, and several micronutrients.[18] The predominant fatty acids in the puffball are linoleic acid (37% of the total fatty acids), oleic acid (24%), palmitic acid (14.5%), and stearic acid (6.4%).[25]
The immature 'buttons' or 'eggs' of deadly Amanita species can be confused with puffballs. This can be avoided by slicing fruit bodies vertically and inspecting them for the internal developing structures of a mushroom. Additionally, Amanitas will generally not have "jewels" or a bumpy external surface.[26]

biker-bri
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Is this a giant puffball 5554

Adam Savage
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Looks like a common to me, judging by the spiny surface and size compared to the grass around it.

Marvell
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I just had a Common Puffball and Ochre Brittle Gill omelette. It was lush!

AdrianRose
08-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Looks like a common to me, judging by the spiny surface and size compared to the grass around it.

Agreed, defo a common not a giant.

Ade.

Tigger004
08-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Always used to harvest field mushrooms but with the internet came doubt, buy from supermarket now..:ashamed:

Adam Savage
08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Always used to harvest field mushrooms but with the internet came doubt, buy from supermarket now..:ashamed:

No shame in that mate. It's always better to be safer than sorry. Fungi can not only be fatal, but they can be fatal in the most painful way :(

OakAshandThorn
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I wonder if you can eat common puffballs raw. :confused:

Marvell
10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I wonder if you can eat common puffballs raw. :confused:

John Wright did in a River Cottage Episode. He had them with berries.