PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID please

f0rm4t
27-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Can anyone ID this wood for me please if poss? I know its a small piece so I can take a pic of the fallen tree if it helps.

Cheers

luresalive
27-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Pic of the tree and of the grain and colour in the sawn wood would be helpful.

f0rm4t
27-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Will do!

Just to elaborate a little further, so you don't think I'm just picking random wood off the floor and posting pics to prove how bush-crafty I am :) I've seen all the awesome stuff fish has made, especially the spoons, and thought I'd have a go at doing something super simples!
It's a decent hardwood but wasn't sure if it was maybe oak or ash, I'll get some grain pics and a few of the fallen tree.

paulthefish2009
27-09-2012, 09:44 AM
A good way to id wood is to look around the fallen tree and look at the leaves,I find it a lot easier to id tree by there leaves than a sample of the wood it's self. Paul

f0rm4t
27-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Agreed! However this tree has been fallen for a *long* time and there was no other trees around it that had the same structure, so all I've got to go on is the wood itself unfortunately. I'll get some more detail for you though :)

fish
27-09-2012, 01:15 PM
looking at that wood the first impression i get is Elm. btw green wood is so much easier to carve,ide recomend,sycamore,hazel,rowan all soft when green and dead easy to carve!

f0rm4t
27-09-2012, 01:50 PM
HA-HA!!!
I've fallen before I've even got to the first hurdle!

Thanks fish! That makes perfect sense. I started on the wood already too. :ashamed:
I think I'll do a bit of YouTube'ing before I rush in.
Have you got a channel? If not, then you should have. I'd love to see you're work in progress.

I'll bin this then! :(

AL...
27-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Thats not to bad for a first try Paul. well done mate but watch yerself ye will be hooked in no time!!! :D

Cheers
AL

jus_young
27-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't bin it just yet. If your well on the way, which by the looks of it you are, then keep going. If the wood has been sat around for a while then it will be nicely seasoned and less likely to split. Like fish was saying, green is easier to carve but there's nothing wrong with what you have there (unless the wood is poisonous of course) :)

JonnyP
27-09-2012, 06:42 PM
You are running the risk of it splitting carving it like that chap.. Best to split the branch in half and use either side, not the middle. Green wood much easier as said..

f0rm4t
27-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!
Like I said ...I went into this totally blind, so welcome all the help I can get. :)

fish
27-09-2012, 07:33 PM
dont bin it mate,youll see how far you progress by looking at previous stuff.that will make a fine spoon if it dont split,seasoned wood is workable it just takes more effort.

Adam Savage
27-09-2012, 11:44 PM
looking at the grain in the carved piece, it seems very much like ash to me.
Seems to have that "stained" dark grain, in amongst the lighter grain, like this picture.

http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/white_ash_1_.jpg