PDA

View Full Version : Dartmoor Walk

Raven
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
hey guy's,
Christmas is over, i'm feeling over indulged, clostraphobic and ready for a walk on the wild side, so with that in mind i fancy a couple of days on dartmoor in few weeks time, anyone up for it? :confused2:

sleeping bags
03-01-2011, 05:44 PM
depends on the dates but ive been itching to get back on the moor

Martin
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah!!!

Actually, I will be there quite a bit between now and May as I'm helping with Ten Tors training for the Air Cadets but I'm always up for a grown up weekend away. Give us some idea of dates and we'll see what we can come up with. :)

Martin

Raven
06-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I was thinking around the 28th, arrive fri afternoon, stay Friday and sat night go back sun lunch ish, happy new year by the way! How the no smoking going Martin?

Paul.

Martin
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Paul

OMG!!! I might just about be able to do that. Probably have to check with swmbo but can't see any problems there. Any idea of a route yet?

If I can't make the Friday night, could almost certainly do early meet Saturday and out Saturday night.

Still off the fags mate. Pretty much 8 months now and I'll never go back. :)

Keep us posted.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Great to hear from you Paul,

Yeah I'd be up for a Dartmoor trip, you boys talking about the 28th of Jan or May?

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Just to let you know; any time between 19th-26th Feb would also be good for me.

Martin
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Great to hear from you Paul,

Yeah I'd be up for a Dartmoor trip, you boys talking about the 28th of Jan or May?

I was talking about 28th January, I assumed Paul was too.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I was talking about 28th January...
Yeah, my birthday on the 29th so I'll get away with that I think :)

... I'm not hiking many miles though Sainty! I'm in it for the camping.

:camping:

Martin
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, my birthday on the 29th so I'll get away with that I think :)

... I'm not hiking many miles though Sainty! I'm in it for the camping.

That's no problem Ash. I'm sure we can limit it to around 10 miles per day. :)

Martin

Raven
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
yep i was talking jan!! your birthday to, another excuse to go, so sounds like a go'er then chaps!! desparate to get out, you guy's got any idea's as to good site's? i have to say i'm with ash on the whole hike thing, don't mind a stroll to site but i've done my miles on the moors!! by the way ash been watching your's and justin's vids on the site, really good mate!

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Sounds good! :) ... I'm not doing 10 miles a day again :p

What about another walk around our favourite reservoir Martin? Or Fernworthy?

...by the way ash been watching your's and justin's vids on the site, really good mate! Glad your enjoying them bud, you only just started watching them or something? :p

Speak soon chaps,

Raven
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
of course not, i thought i had watched them all but i had a look on your youtube site the other day and found a load i hadn't seen! liked the honey stove i must say, something that packs down that flat is brill, thinking about making a new stove so may base it around that idea! looking farward to catching up with you on dartmoor mate!

Ashley Cawley
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
... thinking about making a new stove so may base it around that idea! looking farward to catching up with you on dartmoor mate!
Me & Martin was talking about this trip just a few hours ago. We should get some specifics together soon :) ... as for the stove; your welcome to use my parts to take a template from if you fancy making your own.

Raven
09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
yeah cool, i could probs do a new large top plate for your expantion if you need one ? yeah lets get this nailed down, i'm flexable on it, was thinking meet friday afternoon and go?

Ashley Cawley
09-01-2011, 03:54 PM
yeah cool, i could probs do a new large top plate for your expantion if you need one ? yeah lets get this nailed down, i'm flexable on it, was thinking meet friday afternoon and go?
A top grill for my expansion kit would be great! - we'll have to take a look at that sometime :)

As for Friday, I know Martin and I are both going to struggle to make that, but Sat/Sun we're fine. What do you think Martin?

Ashley Cawley
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Oh, also if we fancied hooking up to chat in real-time about this trip, we could state a time/evening and could utilise the "Live Chatroom" link at the top of the forum :)

We could no doubt discuss the details quicker if we can all hookup, just an idea.

Martin
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Like Ash said, I think I'll struggle with the Friday night but could meet at first light on the Saturday morning to 'make a day of it'. I'm up for a natter in the chatroom any time. :)

Martin

Raven
09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah I'd be up for a chat, name the time and I'll be there?

Ashley Cawley
09-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Tomorrow evening? - 10/01/2010 - 8pm ?

If you can't make it, not a problem, just say and we'll arrange for another time :)

Raven
10-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Yeah sound good, should be back by then, chat later!

Raven
16-01-2011, 01:30 PM
hey chaps are we still on for this wander over dartmoor then?

Martin
16-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah!!! I've just got back from two nights up there. Very, very, very wet!!! Sorry I missed you and Ash the other night, did you get anything decided?

Martin

Raven
18-01-2011, 07:51 AM
not to much mate, we'll should try and do it again, we were discussing where to go, new place or an old fav? any preference?:confused2:

Ashley Cawley
19-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I think we're gona checkout the land Marcus is talking about, near Holne, southeastern side of Dartmoor, but we will probably have a backup plan for somewhere else not to far from there. If you've got any preference just say Paul.

I think a friend of mine (Paul Richards) might also be interested in coming :)

zaphod
20-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey Ash, this is Paul (Richards). I am definitely up for coming if no one has any objections, I've got that weekend free.

Hey Martin, we met at Woodland Valley last year, for a one night camp out with Ash and Frankie, don't know if you remember.

I don't think I know you Raven. Look forward to meeting up if you don't mind me gatecrashing.

I'm afraid I won't be much help in the planning stages as I'm a Dartmoor virgin. Are there any plans set yet?

Martin
20-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey Paul, how could we forget? I've never seen anyone do that with a cucumber before. ;)

Look forward to meeting up again.

Martin

zaphod
20-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Haha, cheers for that lovely introduction to the forum Martin!

Ashley Cawley
20-01-2011, 05:41 PM
lmao... I must have missed that part with the cucumber! :p ... Great to see you on here Paul and nice photo by the way! :)

We have some plans (me, martin & paul have spoken briefly to each other) but not set in stone yet. We will put up more soon.

zaphod
20-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Nice one Ash, I will hold off until the plans are set and then I will start nagging about what kit I should take!!

Ashley Cawley
20-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice one Ash, I will hold off until the plans are set and then I will start nagging about what kit I should take!!
No need to hold off with that bud :) ... we can discuss what kit you might wana take now ;)

Ashley Cawley
20-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Martin and I often create a kit-list on Google Docs, conveniently on Google Docs you can share documents with one another so you can both view or edit the same document live. When I've put one together you never know we might post it here.

Ivan
20-01-2011, 06:08 PM
hi martin and ash im up for whatever you guys decide numbers etc if you need private message let me know

zaphod
20-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Cheers Ash, I'm assuming you guys aren't doing any crazy mini list of items at this time of year?

Well to be honest I'm clueless about Dartmoor and I've never camped this early in the year before either.... so I'm not even sure how much in the way of clothing to take! I normally end up taking too much and not using half my kit.

I'm assuming that we're camping in a wooded area that will be okay for hammocks, please set me straight if I am better off with a tent.

Martin
20-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I think it's safe to say that we will be camping out on Dartmoor on Saturday 29th January. If I have anything to say about it, we will be doing a short walk on the moor to see what we can see, then back to somewhere for an evening camp. We can fill the detail in from there but that sounds like the bones of a plan to me.

As far as kit is concerned, I would suggest that tents are more likely to be used than hammocks and a stove may be a good idea to cook on. I think it's also a safe bet to say that waterproofs would be a wise addition to your kit.

Martin

Matt
20-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Ohh, so this isn't the 5 items trip then? :p

Martin
20-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Ohh, so this isn't the 5 items trip then? :p

lol, well as you're not going to be there, we thought we'd take a few luxury items. However, we won't be leaving any traces of our presence on this trip. ;)

Martin

Matt
20-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Lmao, won't be hard cause I don't think they allow fires on Dartmoor ;)

Martin
20-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Lmao, won't be hard cause I don't think they allow fires on Dartmoor ;)

Most places they don't but in certain places, like Marcus's woods, they do. :)

Sorry you can't make it mate. :p

Martin

Ivan
20-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Firstly, sorry you cant be there Matt hopefully meet soon. Zaphod you are very welcome and the choice is yours whether it be hammock or tent. Martin or Ash will contact me soon to let you all know directions and times, etc. I am right on the Two Moors Way so a walk to the site is possible but I do have safe and secure parking on my farm only a 15 min. walk to the camp. Also, the added bonus if we get the worst that Dartmoor can throw at us I have an emergency log cabin with comfy beds, hot shower and wood burner, but knowing us like-minded souls we'll be fine. Look forward to contact soon. Marcus

Ivan
20-01-2011, 08:31 PM
you can plan a walk from Ivybridge, South Brent or shipley bridge past avon dam brings you right to the site. and added bonus of great walks to huntingdon warren pupers hill or local pub even. or park at my place and organise walks straight from there

Ivan
20-01-2011, 08:32 PM
ps google any of the above locations to get an idea

Ashley Cawley
20-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Cheers Ash, I'm assuming you guys aren't doing any crazy mini list of items at this time of year?
No we're not doing another 10 item trip this time (but not because of the time of year as it wasn't exactly a struggle, but more just because we did that on our last trip to Dartmoor anyway).

Well to be honest I'm clueless about Dartmoor and I've never camped this early in the year before either...It's not the time of year you want to be worrying about, it's the Dartmoor bears that will keep you up at night. :shocked:

I'm assuming that we're camping in a wooded area that will be okay for hammocks, please set me straight if I am better off with a tent. RE Hammocking - this time of year on Dartmoor I would only say go for a hammock if you a. know your definitely going to be staying in a wooded area. b. only take one to Dartmoor if you feel your experienced at winter hammocking.

Other than that stick to a tent. Most of the time I hammock on Dartmoor as I plan to stay in a wood, but this time we're going on uncertain ground, possibly pulled round from pillar to post by Martin so I might take a tent.

Ivan
20-01-2011, 09:25 PM
the good thing is you have options open areas woodland glades or open moor i cant stop martin and the pillar to post thing

zaphod
21-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Cheers for the advice guys, I'll go with the tent then... I'm going to drag my kit out on Sunday to have a look and see if I need to make any purchases. I'll no doubt have more questions after then!!

Raven
21-01-2011, 07:28 PM
hey chaps, this trips taken off, how may have we got now?
:happy-clapping:

Raven
21-01-2011, 07:38 PM
you don't want to worry about the dartmoor bears ash, its the ninja squirrels that'll strip you and leave you for dead!!!!

Ivan
21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
hi raven not sure on numbers will no doubt be told by ash or martin when they have spoke to each other ,look forward to meeting you ,come and enjoy

Raven
23-01-2011, 11:55 AM
ok, so we need to sort out what time to meet and narrow down the site we intend to go to, there have been a few suggestions, marcus has said we can stay on his land if we wish, or there is the reservoir that ash and martin have been to before? post your thoughts and make it snappy we need to nail this by next week, time wise will depend on travel length i would imagine, i know ash and martin have a bit of a trek so what time do you guy's think you can make?

Ivan
23-01-2011, 12:18 PM
hi raven i am witing for a call from martin or ash ,they are not quite sure if to meet at my place and walk with a view to camping on my site or walking first and then coming over later on the sat ,so as soon as i know will post .one of the guys will probably contact you directly

Paul Webster
23-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey all, wish I wasn't working on Saturday. Would have been a great opportunity to meet you. Have fun everyone

JonnyP
24-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Any room for me to join you guys on this jolly..?

Martin
24-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Any room for me to join you guys on this jolly..?

Course there is mate. The more the merrier. :)

Martin

JonnyP
24-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Course there is mate. The more the merrier. :)

Martin

Cool.. If anyone West of me wants to come here first, we can go up in one car.. I have a Tamar tag..
I am nr Looe btw..

Martin
24-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Cool.. If anyone West of me wants to come here first, we can go up in one car.. I have a Tamar tag..
I am nr Looe btw..

PM on its way to you. :)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
24-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Welcome aboard Jonny :)

JonnyP
25-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Welcome aboard Jonny :)

Cheers chaps.. Will be nice to get out and about..

Ivan
25-01-2011, 04:01 PM
jonnyP are you gong walkabout as some are or you coming straight to the site?

JonnyP
25-01-2011, 04:26 PM
jonnyP are you gong walkabout as some are or you coming straight to the site?

Going walkabout I think Marcus.

Ivan
25-01-2011, 04:28 PM
ok mate look forward to meeting you , no doubt when ash or martin phone will know more

JonnyP
25-01-2011, 04:34 PM
ok mate look forward to meeting you , no doubt when ash or martin phone will know more

You too.. :0) I shall call Martin myself too I think..

Paul Webster
26-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I've sent a few pm's but thought I'd post here too. As long as you guys don't mind me gatecrashing I'm going to come and visit that spot as well on Sunday morning. I'm planning on leaving here about 6am so should be there about 8:30am. Just in time for breakfast!! Are you all early risers?

Ashley Cawley
26-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Ok, that's fine if you come Darktide, look forward to meeting you. My only concern is we haven't yet got an exact campsite so I don't know how your going to locate us in the early morning, even by phone I'm not sure what it's going to be like trying to guide you in to a place that's new to us all.

I think we should call a close now to anyone else coming onboard this trip, it will only alter or confuse plans at this late stage.

A lot of PM's/Emails/Chats have been flying, not all of it going on in here, plans have been changing & not everyone is aware of them so we should try and consolidate them in here somewhat.

We need to sort out a basic schedule (we have roughly elsewhere) and organise car-sharing. There are enough of us so I don't think we have to worry too much about leaving route plans with family/friends etc.

More information coming soon....

Ivan
26-01-2011, 07:51 PM
sorry ash partly my fault ,i have spoken to darktide he knows how to get to my place ,i will meet him at the farm and bring him to the site ,he has home and mob nos .i will wait to hear from you as your plans when you know for sure what you are all doing

Ivan
26-01-2011, 08:17 PM
some of you guys quite rightly want to make the most of the day/ night for those that want to hike first no problem whether your starting point is my place or not ,you all know each other and can confirm details with yourselves, i am pretty sure you have my numbers so ring re arrival times etc, its preety straight forward, once again sorry for confusion, at the end of the day as long as every one arrives safely and has a good time.

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Right, here's the schedule:

Sat 29th Jan - 08:30 - Meet at the Plume of Feathers, Princetown.

At Prince town we will congregate, get breakfast and then aim to move on to Marcus/ivan's Farm for around 10am.

After a quick look round the land the group will likely split-up (each group will have a radio to stay in touch), 1 Group being the 'walking group' - these will likely plan a route on map and set of for a few miles walking on the Moor.

The 2nd group will likely stay back on Ivan's land and will have a good scout round, looking for good camping spots etc. This group will likely establish a base camp in a location to have the 8 or so of us camping the night.

The walking group may spend around 4 hours walking/stopping when they return to ivan's land we'll make radio-contact and regroup back at our camp-site.

People Attending: (that I know of, please correct me if I've missed anyone)

Paul (Raven)
Ivan (Marcus absent)
Ivan's Friend
Ashley
Martin
Matt
Paul (zaphod)
Jonny.P
Paul Webster (Darktide)(visiting us Sunday morning)

I am just going to contact a few people RE Car Sharing and will post back here soon...

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Darktide's Username has now been changed to Paul Webster.

Roadkillphil
27-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Really wanted to come out and play, but family committments wont allow it. Have been trying to organise around it, but to no avail :(

Martin
27-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Really wanted to come out and play, but family committments wont allow it. Have been trying to organise around it, but to no avail :(

Don't worry Phil, there will be plenty more opportunities in the near future. Look forward to meeting you then. :)

Martin

Martin
27-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Excellent news gentlemen. We are booked in to the Plume of Feathers for 0800 - 0830 for Breakfast. Could be a bit of a wait as they have another group of 20 also booked in on Saturday morning but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Anyway, once fully charged with bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes and tea we will head off to Marcus's place which is bit of a longer drive than I'd first imagined, maybe 30 - 40 mins, and then let the fun commence. :)

Do I sound a little bit excited?? :D

Martin

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Excellent news gentlemen. We are booked in to the Plume of Feathers for 0800 - 0830 for Breakfast. Could be a bit of a wait as they have another group of 20 also booked in on Saturday morning but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Anyway, once fully charged with bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes and tea we will head off to Marcus's place which is bit of a longer drive than I'd first imagined, maybe 30 - 40 mins, and then let the fun commence. :)

Do I sound a little bit excited?? :D

Martinlol... it's getting earlier & earlier each time I speak to you Martin! :p

Thanks for booking us in the Plume of Feathers a lovely breaky like that will set us up for the day.

Martin
27-01-2011, 09:49 AM
lol... it's getting earlier & earlier each time I speak to you Martin! :p

Thanks for booking us in the Plume of Feathers a lovely breaky like that will set us up for the day.

So it is. My mistake, we meet at the Plume at 0830. The lady asked if we could make it about 0830 anyway. :ashamed:

Look forward to seeing everyone then. :)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 11:02 AM
"Marcus absents" Username has now been changed to "Ivan".

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 12:04 PM
:o

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TUFsj2GuIxI/AAAAAAABHKI/RMAeeWGNhVI/s640/IMG_4522-2.JPG

Martin
27-01-2011, 12:14 PM
:o

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TUFsj2GuIxI/AAAAAAABHKI/RMAeeWGNhVI/s640/IMG_4522-2.JPG

Poor Scott, won't be there. :(

Martin

Martin
27-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Only 36 hours to go. :D:D:D

Martin

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Only 36 hours to go. :D:D:D

Martin
Just two more sleeps!
:jumping-joy:

:p

Martin
27-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Just two more sleeps!
:jumping-joy:

:p

It's no good, I won't sleep, I just know it. :(

Martin

Scott
27-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I wish i was going to be there i could do with the break, Have fun all of you and take lots of photos.

Martin
27-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I wish i was going to be there i could do with the break, Have fun all of you and take lots of photos.

Come!! If you leave early, you can be in Princetown in about 3 hours. :)

Martin

Ivan
28-01-2011, 07:50 AM
one more closing of the eyes tonight ,then behold tis the day to be involved in much merryment, fresh moorland air ,excersise,food, fire, smokey eyes, good company and tales around the camp site.

Martin
28-01-2011, 08:02 AM
one more closing of the eyes tonight ,then behold tis the day to be involved in much merryment, fresh moorland air ,excersise,food, fire, smokey eyes, good company and tales around the camp site.

:jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy::jumping-joy:

Paul Webster
28-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Who's bringing the beer and dancing girls?

Martin
28-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Who's bringing the beer and dancing girls?

I'm supplying them but, as you won't be there till Sunday morning, I'm afraid you'll miss all the fun. ;)

Martin

JonnyP
28-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I am coppicing here on the farm today, so will bring in some alder (nice carving wood) for anyone who would like to carve a kuksa or whatever.. I can also bring in ash or elm, for something more durable, if folk want..
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.. :0)

Raven
29-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Can I have another sausage please Martin?

Martin
29-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Of course Paul. They're all on the table behind you mate. ;)

Just to let you guys know; we're having a lovely time at Ivan's property on Dartmoor. We're sat round the fire enjoying a couple of beers with the lamb cooking in a pit and sausages cooking over the fire. :)

Martin

(sent from my HTC)

Martin
29-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Of course Paul. They're all on the table behind you mate. ;)

Just to let you guys know; we're having a lovely time at Ivan's property on Dartmoor. We're sat round the fire enjoying a couple of beers with the lamb cooking in a pit and sausages cooking over the fire. :)

Martin

(sent from my HTC)

Paul Webster
29-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Don't get too stuffed, I'm bringing sausages and bacon for breakfast!

swkieran
29-01-2011, 06:09 PM
sounds like yer having a brilliant time lads :),so ivans land is pretty good then,all the best kieran

Paul Webster
30-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Was great to meet you all and you couldn't have picked a better spot. Hope to see you all again soon

Matt
30-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Yet again a great weekend with great company at a cracking location. Many thanks to one and all :)

Matt.

JonnyP
30-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Lovely weekend meet.. I think we all woke up with frozen extremities this morning, but what a stunning morning with that sun coming out in a clear blue sky..
Thank you Ivan and Ed for hosting and for the food and welcome. Nice to see old friends again, and to meet new ones..
Lovely spot you have there Ivan..

Ashley Cawley
30-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Great to meet you Ivan & Ed and thanks again for sharing a wonderful spot with us on Dartmoor.

The boys made us more than welcome; never expected seats, beautiful lamb-tea, candles to set the mood and evening-snuggles from Ed - top class service for keeping warm at -5c

The site is littered with Birch which is great to see, located on the edge of Dartmoor's moorland it makes a superb base-camp.

Unfortunately I didn't really get my camera out much (too busy cooking/eating/drinking!)... but Paul Richards took plenty of photos, so hopefully some of them will be published here soon. The light wasn't great for photography on the first day but the weather was still lovely and dry, stayed dry for the weekend but it was cold! It was minus temperatures throughout most of the camp and probably -3c - -5c overnight, not that it stopped us having fun :)

Great to catch-up with old friends & meet new ones :o ... don't forget some of you have got "Alone in the Wilderness" to watch if you fancy a relaxing Sunday evening chaps.

Ashley Cawley
30-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for some lovely Beef-Jerky :) Thumbs up from me bud!

Raven
30-01-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks ivan and ed for a great weekend, and the rest of you, as always, for some great company, hope we can do it more often this year chaps! great land, great company great food, great drink, great!:happy-clapping:

Roadkillphil
30-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for some lovely Beef-Jerky :) Thumbs up from me bud!

:o Thankee. Sounds like a great weekend, can't wait to get out meself. I settled for a brew, lunch and shelter building with ma boy in a teeny tiny wood, not far from ye. Going back this arvo to dismantle

Cheers
Phil

zaphod
30-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Like the others have said it was a great camp, cheers Ivan & Ed for your generous hospitality. Looking forward to the next one. I will be sorting through the hundreds of photos I took over the next couple days, and will post them up as soon as possible. There is definitely one plus about camping out in the cold weather, it teaches you a hell of a lot about your kit, I have a much better idea of the limits of what I have and I am now more jealous than ever of Ashleys hammock cacoon! :)

Martin
30-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Nothing really so I'll just say it all again.

Great venue, thanks to Ivan and Ed for sharing your special place with us and for your great hospitality. Being so close to some dramatic Dartmoor scenery and history really made for a great weekend.

Wonderful company as ever, lovely to see some of you whom we haven't seen for a while and, of course, the regular Cornish boys. It was also good to meet Paul from Stroud even if it was a flying visit.

Brilliant opportunity to test out our various bits of kit in pretty much the lowest extreme of cold we're likely to see in this part of the world. Well done to Snugpak for making a great sleeping bag, shame it's just so darn bulky!!!

There's nothing I can say here that will amply demonstrate what good time I had so I can only look forward to seeing Paul's photographs and sit here feeling nicely tired with a broad smile on my face as I bask in the aftermath of a truly memorable weekend.

Martin

Ivan
30-01-2011, 04:13 PM
wow chaps, what can i say ? thankyou fo your kind comments, it was great to meet such a friendly and helpful bunch, as you know i was a bit apprehensive, but it all worked out better than ed and i could have imagined . a magic weekend thanks for believing me and turning up . i have never eaten or drank more varied products in the woods .in spite of the cold i had a great time and look forward to meeting again soon. i apologise for talking shorthand and fluent drunkanese its just in my nature .once again thanks for coming cheers Ivan

Entbane
30-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone for comming along and trying out our little site. It was really good to meet you all. Can't think of a better bunch of guys to spend a chilled (in both meanings of the word!) camp out on the moors with.

The girlfriend wasn't impressed that i slept out at -5 with just a roll matt and sleeping bag! they just dont understand.

Hope to see you all again soon. great times!

Ed.

Martin
30-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Gentlemen,

According to http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Haytor/automatic/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm, Haytor didn't get above -2 degrees last night and got down to -4.4 degrees at 5 o'clock this morning.

Well done to everyone for seeing it through. :)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
30-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Great to meet you to Ed. Nice one on using the Crampballs for Fire-lighting & thanks for showing us your pine-resin candles! - You've inspired me to give that a go.

... The girlfriend wasn't impressed that i slept out at -5 with just a roll matt and sleeping bag! they just dont understand...
If she's worried about you spending the night-out in that Ed tell here to get you a bivi-bag! - They add another good insulative layer, either that or a silk-liner for your bag :)

Paul Webster
30-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Or...a double sleeping bag that she can get into as well??

zaphod
31-01-2011, 05:50 PM
The pictures are coming! Here's one to whet your appetites. (and test if I'm uploading photos correctly!).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5404755117_fb538ed9a4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41383659@N06/5404755117/)
Dartmoor group at gate (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41383659@N06/5404755117/) by cornish paul (http://www.flickr.com/people/41383659@N06/), on Flickr

Ivan
31-01-2011, 05:54 PM
hi mate the one on my private message is fantastic ,you david bailey you ,keep going looking forward as much to your photos as much as the camp oi oi

Ivan
31-01-2011, 06:10 PM
i have received 2 brill pictures by the gate ,then there is some idiot on a motorbike in vietnam, promise me you will buck up . i have the utmost faith in you

zaphod
31-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry about this chaps, I'm just trying to learn to embed the photos in the post so bear with me, mods please feel free to delete these posts as I'm just testing... attempt 3
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_twQ_X-rZsV4/TUcQKPCTkbI/AAAAAAAAABM/MLFYtnH-0PU/s720/DSC03443.JPG

zaphod
31-01-2011, 06:45 PM
success ... I think. Let me know if this hasn't worked. A full post will follow.

Ivan
31-01-2011, 06:55 PM
its worked, now get on with it before i wee my self

zaphod
31-01-2011, 06:57 PM
calm down Ivan, this stuff takes time!! :)

Ashley Cawley
31-01-2011, 08:39 PM
The pictures are coming! Here's one to whet your appetites. (and test if I'm uploading photos correctly!).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5404755117_fb538ed9a4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41383659@N06/5404755117/)
Dartmoor group at gate (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41383659@N06/5404755117/) by cornish paul (http://www.flickr.com/people/41383659@N06/), on Flickr
hehe... you tell him Paul! :p

Paul I've fixed your initial photo and man it put a smile on my face to see it! :D Can't wait to get my eyes on the full-res ones on my TV downstairs :)

Just to let you know Paul, vBulletin accepts something called "BB Code" which flickr actually offers, when I look at one of your photos on flickr if you click on the "Share this" button above the photo, then click: "Grab the HTML/BBCode", choose your size from the dropdown box, click the radio button that says "BB Code" and then copy and paste the code from flickr into this forum... Matt just probably passed out if he read that Voodoo!

zaphod
31-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Alright so me and Ash have been trying to upload my photos tonight from my computer but have been having a major headache with it... my computer is playing up and the upload is really struggling... I'm leaving it going overnight so hopefully tomorrow the photos will be on. I will PM everyone involved once I have it working and on the site!!

Raven
01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
photo looks good, well as good as it gets with that motley crew!

Ivan
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks zaphod great photos i can look at them on my computermebobemaileythingy coz i is teknickal they are magic well done mate

Martin
01-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Love the photos Paul. Thanks for bothering mate.

Martin

Entbane
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
The day i get my girlfriend to come camping will b the day ray mears says i can run woodlore for him!!!

Raven
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
well if you need an assistant mate???

Martin
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Where have all the photos gone?

Martin

zaphod
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Martin, if you're talking about my photos they are on a different thread in the Woodland Tales section.

Martin
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Oops :ashamed: my bad. Thanks Paul :)

Martin

zaphod
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Moderator eh?? :) ha... Hope your keeping well mate

Martin
04-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Moderator eh?? :) ha... Hope your keeping well mate

Very well thanks Paul. Look forward to meeting up soon. How are the plans going?

Martin