PDA

View Full Version : A tale of woe/stupidity.

karl
21-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, this seemed the most appropriate.

Went out on a little stroll with the dog last week, took in a long section of the Barnsley boundary walk, and some bits of the trans Pennine trail.

Anyways, stopped off along the way in some woodland for a quick brew and a bite to eat.
Broke out my trusty swedish army trangia, great bit of kit as most of you will already know, got her lit, stuck the billy on and got on with rummaging through my rucksack for something to chew on.
Imagine my surprise when I turned around to find masses of thick black smoke pluthering from the top of my trangia!

Divot that I am, in my rush to get it lit and get the water on, I'd not noticed the rubber o-ring had stuck on the top of the burner and not in the lid! These o-rings burn well when they get going I'll tell you!

Bit of good news tho, found a seller on that auction site selling them for a couple of quid, so at least I carry a spare now!

NeedABrew
21-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Woe? Maybe. Stupidity? Well we all make mistakes. Good to share a story like this to remind us not to be complacent. This post, and my week in work, has (in the terms of work especially) reminded me in no uncertain terms.

karl
21-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Good to share a story like this to remind us not to be complacent.

My point exactly, luckily I was only out for the day, can you imagine if that had been day one of an extended trip? Such a simple mistake could have been a whole lot worse.

Silverback
21-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, this seemed the most appropriate.

Went out on a little stroll with the dog last week, took in a long section of the Barnsley boundary walk, and some bits of the trans Pennine trail!

Not far from my part of the county and part of my old stomping ground

karl
22-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Not far from my part of the county and part of my old stomping ground

Right on my doorstep, I'm south Huddersfield. Picked up the boundary walk from Ingbirchworth and ended up after a lengthy detour in Cawthorne. Just too many muggles about round here! Can't seem to get a minutes peace.

NeedABrew
22-09-2012, 12:17 AM
My point exactly, luckily I was only out for the day, can you imagine if that had been day one of an extended trip? Such a simple mistake could have been a whole lot worse.

The H&S / risk to physical beings don't bare thinking about pal, but even without such things it could easily spoil a great weekend by cutting it short.

Sapper - Your "old stomping ground" - I get the idea that description could be used for much of the UK! ;-)*

* In the most respectful way I mean! You have a wealth of experience, obvious from your posts.

paulthefish2009
22-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Makes the case for not using cook sets with o-rings etc and or having a back up way of heating water/cooking. Paul

FishyFolk
22-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Makes the case for not using cook sets with o-rings etc and or having a back up way of heating water/cooking. Paul

I fail to se how this could destroy a trip...scrape the burned plastic off, and continue to use the burner. The o-ring is in the lid and is not an essential part, nor a safety feature when the burner is being used.
So the trangia burner remains a very reliable burner.

But would be very cautieous about using it inside a tent, as it's easy to bump it, casusing hot, burning meths to splash...tent fires are bad. And here in Norway, cooking inside the tent is routine.

Silverback
22-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Right on my doorstep, I'm south Huddersfield. Picked up the boundary walk from Ingbirchworth and ended up after a lengthy detour in Cawthorne. Just too many muggles about round here! Can't seem to get a minutes peace.

Closer still I'm south west huddersfield !!

Silverback
22-09-2012, 07:47 AM
The H&S / risk to physical beings don't bare thinking about pal, but even without such things it could easily spoil a great weekend by cutting it short.

Sapper - Your "old stomping ground" - I get the idea that description could be used for much of the UK! ;-)*

* In the most respectful way I mean! You have a wealth of experience, obvious from your posts.

In other words I've been around a bit ;)

I actually was avoiding saying that the MRT I used to be with had south yorkshire in its patch

Silverback
22-09-2012, 09:18 AM

In other words I've been around a bit ;)

I actually was avoiding saying that the MRT I used to be with had south yorkshire in its patch

Kernowek Scouser
22-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Been there, done that, got the T Shirt stating 'I choked on the fumes from a rubber O ring'

I also once had an idea that filling up the Trangia burner with fuel prior to going out, would save me time faffing about when making a brew later on. And, it might have done, if I had secured the cap correctly. What a pillock.

Another 'fun' learning experience, which isn't strictly bushcraft related, but I'll throw it in anyway is, if you are visually challenged and are of a mind to cook up a chilli, take your contact lens out BEFORE you prepare the chillies.

I think we all make mistakes that in retrospect, could have been avoided if we had not allowed our brains and wits to pop out together out for a cheeky fag.
Striving to avoid making the same mistake twice is what separates the momentarily dim witted from the folks who should not be allowed to play outside unsupervised and NEVER allowed to handle anything sharp.

karl
23-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Closer still I'm south west huddersfield !!

South east me! You must be nearer my old stomping grounds of Honley/Holmfirth/Meltham etc, I crossed over to the dark side (Kirkburton way) and barring a stint in Scotland I've been there ever since! Did pop back over a few weeks ago, for a sneaky overnighter in a patch of woodland I used to frequent as a kid tho.

karl
23-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Been there, done that, got the T Shirt stating 'I choked on the fumes from a rubber O ring'

Pleased it's not just me!
I always carry the burner full, if I'm only out for the day I don't even bother with spare fuel, i had to let it burn out just to be able to pack it away. Wont be doing it again. ;)

FishyFolk
23-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I recently bought a new burner, just because I did not have a simmer ring to stop the fire with the old one, and had to let it burn out. But O-rings need replacement now and then. Just a fact of life.

karl
23-09-2012, 10:45 PM
just because I did not have a simmer ring to stop the fire with the old one, and had to let it burn out.
I just snuff mine out with the lid, I can get three or four brews out of a single fill.

Tigger004
25-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Pleased it's not just me!
I always carry the burner full, if I'm only out for the day I don't even bother with spare fuel, i had to let it burn out just to be able to pack it away. Wont be doing it again. ;)

I have often taken just the burner full of fuel, then one day dropped a pot on it, spilled the fuel and had cold dinner and not cuppa, I always take spare fuel even if only couple ounces, worth considering..

Ps. got a couple of genuine trangia "O" rings...."£2.70 delivered from Trekitt.co.uk

karl
25-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I paid about the same from some bloke on ebay, fettlebox or something, a business seller, seems to do all sorts of bits and bobs.
Thought they might be tricky to get hold of as I think they're bigger than civvie trangia burners, but seems everyone has some to sell.