PDA

View Full Version : Knife Making Video

greenpete
11-11-2010, 10:59 PM
I can't miss this opportunity to add my little video here!
If you want to make your own knife, one like the Woodlore knife that Ray Mears sells, then my video is worth a watch I reckon!
www.greenpete.co.uk/knife-making/ (http://www.greenpete.co.uk/knife-making/knife-making-video/)
You can watch the video courtesy of Youtube (http://www.greenpete.co.uk/knife-making/knife-making-video/) or download the DVD (http://www.greenpete.co.uk/knife-making/knife-making-video/) version for free!
Ashley did a great review of the DVD here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/resources/knife-making-dvd-by-greenpete.html).

Ashley Cawley
15-11-2010, 06:08 AM
A pleasure to watch, it can teach an absolute beginner the entire knife making process in under 35mins. :happy-clapping:
Really recommend watching it. Well done Pete & thanks for sharing your work with the community.

Ken
19-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I've just watched the video - mightily impressed. As I really don't have access to forge making or using skills. Are there ready made blades out there that just need you to make the handle for?

Bambii
20-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I've just watched the video - mightily impressed. As I really don't have access to forge making or using skills. Are there ready made blades out there that just need you to make the handle for?

Yeah, loads!! You can get a high carbon steel one for about a tenner, greenman bushcraft sells them and loads of other places.

Bernie
20-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I have the video on DVD here next to my bed, still dreaming of the day I get a chance to make a fire that'll get a decent size file hot enough. I did it with a little file I'm intending to make a carving knife with, but have not yet converted a large file to make a knife with. It's an absolute MUST WATCH in my opinion. Great video by a great chap. You're on my list of people I'd like to meet one day Pete - who knows if we ever will. Either way, thank you for sharing the knowledge and making the time to show us how.

greenpete
20-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I have the video on DVD here next to my bed, still dreaming of the day I get a chance to make a fire that'll get a decent size file hot enough. I did it with a little file I'm intending to make a carving knife with, but have not yet converted a large file to make a knife with. It's an absolute MUST WATCH in my opinion. Great video by a great chap. You're on my list of people I'd like to meet one day Pete - who knows if we ever will. Either way, thank you for sharing the knowledge and making the time to show us how.
Thanks! I hope we meet one day too! :)

Tony1948
20-12-2010, 09:24 PM
THAT VIDEO........can change your life,its given me some hart ache and a lot of satisfaction.Cost me a fortune,at lese 7 pounds in old files,sore back with all that bending over the vice,Im to old for all that now,and then he tell you he dosant polish his blades.If you wont a normal life dont watch it.But If you wont something you will be proud of watch it and watch it then watch it agine and lern it the best thing in the world when youve finished your first blade and to you its the dogs bo:<>#~!.Never mind that youv polished it to a mirror finish.....you dont have to, just get the fireing right and youll have a good blade and you made it.Pete got me out from in front of the TV and into the shed,have a look wot you can achieve on my post [MY FILE BLADES]..................THANKS PETE

CanadianMike
21-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Awesome video, watched it first back in the summer, led me to start making my own knives, starting with trying out lump charcoal in my BBQ to anneal a file, worked better than I expected. GreenPete rocks as far as bare basic knife making, I went more expensive (yet still cheap) to make my own, and am now getting commissioned to make knives. Well worth watching his videos for ideas and info.

matty198111
08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
i know this is an old post but that video is amazing and just wanted to say thanks to pete for sharing

hes made something i thought would require all kinds of big expensive equipment like furnaces etc do able at home

thanks again pete

matty198111
08-10-2013, 11:08 AM
just wandering if you could use a leaf blower

Tony1948
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
10471104721047310474 Hi matty, that bloody vidio was the thing I watch and thought I can do that,its been a lot of hart ake and a bit more satisfaction ever since and a lot of money in tools.My forge is an old gas bottle with a hair dryer from the booty.I'm now selling my blades up to £150.Good luck with wot you want to do.Dont watch that vidio:happy-clapping:and dont get eaten by the bears...........Tony.

matty198111
08-10-2013, 03:59 PM
tony
you have a great skill there, those knives are awesome, i can see why you get £150 for some of them.

can i ask, where is the hair drier attached

mat

matty198111
08-10-2013, 04:14 PM
the knife with the striped handle is excellent, wish i could afford it

Tony1948
08-10-2013, 04:59 PM
It's attached to the bottom its 2in gas pipe welded to a T peace then the hair dryer is gaffer taped to the end,I'll put a photo up latter.

shepherd
09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
tony... i love your forge... iv not watched that video as im genuinly concerned id go out and start sourcing bits for a forge... and then my mrs would kill me haha

matty198111
09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Ive just got 2 gas bottles wander what my plan is :-)

treefrog
13-11-2013, 12:25 AM
This guy did a good job on the video for sure; I learned a lot...I learned that I would never have the time or patience to make a knife..