PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Fungi

TreeCamper
16-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I was out for a Hammock hang and camp in Cornwall UK this past Monday. After having a small fire then letting it die out I went for a kip. I awoke later on and looked down from my hammock and saw a very bright area and it made me jump as I thought my fire had started up again and spread. After wiping my eyes and looking carefully I could see it was a Luminous patch almost as big as a dinner plate. I immediately thought it may be some kind of slugs or bugs grouped together. I spent ages watching it on and off throughout the night waiting for it to stop. At dawn I looked where the glowing was coming from. I had snapped a large piece of deadwood underneath my hammock so I would not stand on it if I got up during the night. The glow was coming from inside both parts of the broken tree branch, could not see any glow in daylight but could see a white film of some kind of fungus.. Dont know what it was but I will never forget it.

I never thought much about posting anything about it as I thought, well perhaps people see that kind of stuff regularly, until I read this article (http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/glow-in-the-dark-mushroom-rediscovered-after-170-years)

I know mine was not this kind of Fungi but the light was very similar.

The woodlands are amazing sometimes

TC

fish
16-09-2012, 05:36 PM
wow get back there with yer camera!

JonnyP
16-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Sounds interesting..

Kernowek Scouser
16-09-2012, 07:35 PM
When I was swinging up on Dartmoor recently, there was some of this glowing fungi in the woods near Clearbrook. Some one did tell me what the name of this fungi is, but I have already forgotten, which is rather remiss of me.

I will dredge the memory banks and hunt about for the scrap of paper the name is written down on and post back if the name is recovered.

It is a bit freaky to see though, isn't it.

When I saw it, there was a clump of them at the base of a tree, which was in my sight line while slumbering in my hammock. There were also some actually growing in the moss on the tree, up to about six feet up its trunk.

Fast a bow bows, a loud crack in the night, eyes wide open, see lots of glowing smudges on the tree opposite, running down the trunk and pooling at it's roots and the wind is howling like nobody's business.

In my befuddled state, my initial thought was "Bugger me, someone has just shot a Predator!"

Decided I was too tired to go looking for a wounded Predator in the middle of the night, figured I'd only make it testy if I did find it, so resolved to stay where I was, close my eyes and hope for the best until the sun came up. I did sleep a bit thereafter, but not quite as soundly as before.

The morning light provided no evidence of dead Predators, but there was a small fallen tree about twenty foot from where I was hanging, Eek!

When I told my mate what happened, he asked 'Are you sure you didn't eat one of these 'glowing' mushrooms?' and other I told were equally unbelieving, so like you I have refrained from posting about it. But the other night down the local, just as I was popping out for a cheeky fag round the back, which is not well lit, one of the jokers I was enduring a pint with, suggested I take one of my glowing mushrooms with me. The raucous laughter that followed was cut dead, when a usually taciturn, but highly respected local old boy pipped up "that'll be 'whatevertheirnameis' glows a beauty they's do."

I got the old boy to write the name down for me, which he was happy to do (after I got him a pint in) like I say, if I can find it I will post back.

The good news is, you are not going mad.

The bad news is, even with the name, a lot of folks will still not believe you.

Silverback
16-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Armillaria mellea
Mycena chlorophos
Mycena citricolor
Panellus stipticus

http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire

TreeCamper
16-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Armillaria mellea
Mycena chlorophos
Mycena citricolor
Panellus stipticus

http://inamidst.com/lights/foxfire

May well have been some type of Foxfire but it was more dense probably cause I had just exposed it from inside the wood. Plus the forest was pitch black so it showed up really well.

Thanks for the link mate.

TreeCamper
16-09-2012, 08:39 PM
When I was swinging up on Dartmoor recently, there was some of this glowing fungi in the woods near Clearbrook. Some one did tell me what the name of this fungi is, but I have already forgotten, which is rather remiss of me.

I will dredge the memory banks and hunt about for the scrap of paper the name is written down on and post back if the name is recovered.

It is a bit freaky to see though, isn't it.

When I saw it, there was a clump of them at the base of a tree, which was in my sight line while slumbering in my hammock. There were also some actually growing in the moss on the tree, up to about six feet up its trunk.

Fast a bow bows, a loud crack in the night, eyes wide open, see lots of glowing smudges on the tree opposite, running down the trunk and pooling at it's roots and the wind is howling like nobody's business.

In my befuddled state, my initial thought was "Bugger me, someone has just shot a Predator!"

Decided I was too tired to go looking for a wounded Predator in the middle of the night, figured I'd only make it testy if I did find it, so resolved to stay where I was, close my eyes and hope for the best until the sun came up. I did sleep a bit thereafter, but not quite as soundly as before.

The morning light provided no evidence of dead Predators, but there was a small fallen tree about twenty foot from where I was hanging, Eek!

When I told my mate what happened, he asked 'Are you sure you didn't eat one of these 'glowing' mushrooms?' and other I told were equally unbelieving, so like you I have refrained from posting about it. But the other night down the local, just as I was popping out for a cheeky fag round the back, which is not well lit, one of the jokers I was enduring a pint with, suggested I take one of my glowing mushrooms with me. The raucous laughter that followed was cut dead, when a usually taciturn, but highly respected local old boy pipped up "that'll be 'whatevertheirnameis' glows a beauty they's do."

I got the old boy to write the name down for me, which he was happy to do (after I got him a pint in) like I say, if I can find it I will post back.

The good news is, you are not going mad.

The bad news is, even with the name, a lot of folks will still not believe you.

Good Story mate. I gotta get that Predator movie out again before my next trip. Gonna start sleeping with a weapon I think ;-)

Kernowek Scouser
16-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Good Story mate. I gotta get that Predator movie out again before my next trip. Gonna start sleeping with a weapon I think ;-)
I seem to recall mud confused all of its fancy detection gizmos, which probably explains why there is a very low instance of Predator attacks at the Glastonbury festival :D