PDA

View Full Version : How important is Nature in your life?

Oakenwise
10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
This is a rather personal post that I've been wanting to write for a long time. Now I finally have the energy to do so.

For me, Bushcraft isn't just 'camping out and having fun in the wilderness.' It's the culmination of the many thousands of years our ancestors had to hone their skills and make a living in whatever environment they found themselves. But that's just the survival aspect of Bushcraft. I think that Bushcraft's most important role is to enable those who feel a powerful connection with nature to live off the land and see it for all it's worth. To use it to honour one's ancestors is a noble cause, and that's one I strive to achieve.

I'm of the belief that Bushcraft is just a stepping stone. It's a modern phrase that, for most people, sums up the extensive knowledge needed to live safely and comfortably in the outdoors. But for me it is much more than that.

I feel like I need to return to the earth. I feel in my bones that I should have been born in the time of my distant forefathers. I have been my entire life indulging in technology and I have never felt so ruined. And now I have finally realised the error of my ways. No longer will I stare blankly at the artificial conjurations of the mechanical world, but ride forth into the clear air of my natural surroundings. My homeland.

Now I have been gripped. I am constantly researching things that could be considered, in extremes, otherworldly to the common man. Ancient history, tradition, myth and lore, all of these things I have passion for which I cannot possibly describe in words.

Every day, even more so in this new era, I feel restless. I need to do something. I need to make proud my ancestors so that in time I will return to the earth and find myself in absolute solitude, living beneath the mighty green canopy of the forest.

I dream not of things to come, but of things gone by - of running with the wolves or visiting a sacred grove of the ancients. I am the past.

I wrote this a fairly long time ago. I just had to write it, to get off my chest the feeling of utter anguish that I've spent my entire life in doors as a hermit, a shut-in.

Now I have something to which I can attach this immense passion for the natural world, and that is "Bushcraft."

So, how essential is Nature in your life?

FishyFolk
10-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I am nature...
Dunno where this idea comes from that humans are above and removed from nature. Far from it, and when we die we end up as manure, sustaining even more nature...circle of life bla-de blah.

Thats how important nature is to me. I guess thats what I can muster. I am not a very philisopical person. :-)

Oakenwise
10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I am nature...
Dunno where this idea comes from that humans are above and removed from nature. Far from it, and when we die we end up as manure, sustaining even more nature...circle of life bla-de blah.

Thats how important nature is to me. I guess thats what I can muster. I am not a very philisopical person. :-)

No, I understand. I just have a very verbose style of writing. I write like that when an idea is incredibley important to me because, quite frankly, I'm an educated and rational person. Why waste the opportunity to get across what I really mean?

You're essentially saying the same thing as me... apart from the manure thing. Cheers, friend.

comanighttrain
13-09-2012, 10:29 AM
It's taken me about 3 days to think of an answer to this question...

Summed up basically I feel more alive when I'm outdoors. Doesn't matter if it's in the forest, on a mountain or at paintball I just feel better.

Also I feel much healthier... my resistance to illness (colds etc... I don't mean I'm especially resistant) has increased vastly and generally my mood is better.

Also the euphoric feeling when you see something really rare that few people have seen. One particular instance was when I was awake at 4am to go for a leak. It was summer so the forest was still reasonably well lit up and there was a warm rain coming down... great feeling just looking around at all that, with the creaking trees, deer nearby. Unfortunately that was the weekend of the ticks!

So yeah... I just feel better. So It's pretty damn important.

Also the fandan on the walking trails can be fantastic....

Silverback
13-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I am happier when outdoors or in the hills. On foot, by bike or canoe etc. Like Dave above I feel healthier and more alive, even when the weather is bad, night or day.

I'm a member of a MRT too so nature and the outdoors is tremendously important, as you can appreciate it can affect my day to day life in a big way. Also being out and about in the early hours puts you in positions to see nature that is usually hidden. Setting off on a nighttime moorland search and watching the sun come up is wonderful, especially if we have a find or successful outcome.

Andy Sherwood
13-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm not really the philosphical type, but I find that I am able to reflect more when I'm out of the wretched city. I just enjoy being away from the "new humanity" if you get what I mean! ;)

As for nature itself, I love learning about the local wildlife and my forte is reptiles, seen all 6 species in the UK, keep and have kept a fair few exotic species too.

OakAshandThorn
28-09-2012, 05:46 PM
The Earth is our Mother - we must take care of Her.
I believe that we are all a part of Nature, and Nature is not something to run/hide from. Too many people think Nature is something to be "conquered" - they greedily take and keep taking, and they never give back. Too few people respect Nature. Our kids grow up looking at screens all day, rarely going on wilderness outings to enjoy the peace in Nature.
In the words of Chief Seattle: "The Earth does not belong to us - we belong to the Earth."

Personally, I can't stand cities. The noise, bright lights, pollution,...it's all too much for me.
Just taking a walk in the woods alters our consciousness. Imagine how much better the world would be if people took a moment away from the chaos and stress, went on a hike in the wilderness to reconnect with Nature, and BREATHED.

fish
28-09-2012, 09:21 PM
we would starve here without it!

Mountain Goat
19-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Got to agree with Fishy - i am nature. Wouldn't have it another way.

Old Guard
19-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Man needs nature - man needs sunlight - we all need to be outside more