PDA

View Full Version : hi, quick question.

Aaron Rushton
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
hi all,
just got another quick query. a while ago there was a thread about covering your blade in a thin layer of rust or something to protect, i think it was vinegar that was used?
well, i just wanted to know wehre is it?
thanks,
Aaron.

Fletching
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Aaron!

I believe you're referring to Ashley's thread about patina. It's not really about protecting the blade, but here's the thread:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft/43-kit-reviews/428-forcing-patina-on-bushcraft-knives.html

Steve

Aaron Rushton
03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
thanks steve!

fish
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
best way to protect a blade is clean it and wipe over with a near dry oily rag before putting away.

Ashley Cawley
20-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for pointing him in the right direction Steve!

some people do actually use patina to create somewhat of a barrier, as I said in my article: "A good patina on a blade can actually form a protective barrier on metal, stopping further oxidation & corrosive rust from setting in, this can be a plus side to having a patina your blade."

best way to protect a blade is clean it and wipe over with a near dry oily rag before putting away.
Yes, fish is right; if protection is what your looking for you can't beat that ^^^

Martin
20-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Alternatively, use it regularly and clean it after you've used it. I've never got rust on my knife if I've used it often enough.

Martin