PDA

View Full Version : Jack pyke countryman boot

Karl Wakefield
02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
I have a pair of Jack Pyke Countryman Boot, and they are brilliant... The insoles are a bit rubbish as they tend to move, so replacing them is a must...

My question to readers is??????

I have read and heard that people have made boots waterproof, by using vegetable oil. They coat the boot, let the boot soak the material, then give the boot another coat... they do this until the boot can't soak anymore oil....

I was wondering if anyone has tried this on a boot like mine, And what was the effect?

Would it be worth trying or should I use a Shop sold waterproof agent...

Regards,

Karl.

garethw
03-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Are they not Goretex lined? If so this would serve no purpose as they should already be waterproof.
cheers
Gareth

fish
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
i would be worried about the pil fousting,just use dubbin and apply with a finger.

Karl Wakefield
03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks fish. just wasnt sure...

Not sure on the gortex bit Gareth, they state that they are waterproof, but just wondered if its worth putting extra cover on.

garethw
03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I checked their site and its a material similar to Goretex called Breathex.... I have one of their jacket that's made from the same stuff.
Its supposed to be breathable so adding any grease to the boots will certainly ruin the breathability. This will no doubt result in sweaty feet. I've got a pair of Le Chameau Gortex lined boots and they are perfectly waterproof and my feet don't sweat much in them, so I guess they are breathable too.
Personally I'd avoid any grease and use a proper recommended proofer in the unlikely event they should start to leak..
cheers
Gareth

Ichneumon
15-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I've had a pair of these boots for a few years now and I have no hestation in saying they are the best, most practical and comfortable boot I have ever owned.

But this weekend after stepping into a couple of inches of water, something they normally shrug off, I found they were letting in a bit of water. I don't think there are any holes or leaks so I have to assume that the waterproofing has finally given up.

Any bright ideas for restoring it?

Thanks in antics!

JonnyP
15-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I've had a pair of these boots for a few years now and I have no hestation in saying they are the best, most practical and comfortable boot I have ever owned.

But this weekend after stepping into a couple of inches of water, something they normally shrug off, I found they were letting in a bit of water. I don't think there are any holes or leaks so I have to assume that the waterproofing has finally given up.

Any bright ideas for restoring it?

Thanks in antics!
The breathable/waterproof membrane in boots only usually lasts a couple of years or so.
I use boot dubbin on my old worn out goretex lined boots. If you warm it first in some hot water, it will soak in better.

wescobts
16-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I would be concerned with the veg. oil turning rancid and actually begin to rot. I know the "preserve" mink oil and the like, step carefully.

Woodwose
16-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm glad you're happy with your Jack Pyke boots mine where rubbish.
If it's any concellation my Jack Pyke hunter boots also leak. After wearing them for a short time both the inner footsoles developed creases and had to be replaced. The ankle support was poor and when walking downhill my feet would slide in the boots just enough to cause discomfort on the toes
I also had a pair of Red Setter hunting boots which where excellent at first but devolped a leak on the right boot then the sole came away.
And finally the pair of TF Gear extreme boots I bought from Go Outdoors leaked after 3 months use. They where replaced under guarantee but this new pair also leak. On the plus side they are really light have excellent ankle support, good grip and are nice and warm, pity they leak and are to warm to wear in summer.
I'd go down the Dubbin or wax route on your boots too.

garethw
16-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm glad you're happy with your Jack Pyke boots mine where rubbish.
Despite reviews to the contrary I think all Jack Pike stuf is rubbish... They give all the blurb about English quality....I've got one of their hunter jackets that is not especially well priced... not expensive, but I'd have expected a bit more.
Within days the pockets had holes in and the lining was fraying at the bottom hem. I was able to sew these up... But since the stitching had come undone at the hand pockets..
I wish now I'd spent a little more or found a military spec coat...

cheers
Gareth

Realearner
16-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Well got to admit I have a pair of these boots and i have not had any problems with them as of today. Maybe in the future but what does not wear out?
And as with everything sometimes you get lucky sometimes not so with any equipment.

Ichneumon
16-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. For years I have been putting dubbin on my boots but with these it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

After I posted my question I did some more research - the conclusion is:

The nubuck leather these they are made of is factory treated with a waterproofing layer. Beneath the leather is the waterproof and breathable Breatha-tex layer, similar to Goretex.

When I first got the boots water ran off, quite literally like off a ducks back. This was the proofing on the outside of the leather working. After I while I noticed that the leather was getting wet - but my feet weren't, this was the Breatha-tex working.

So it now seems the Breatha-tex has failed. Nothing much I can do about that but I can reproof the outside. Various searches on the web revealed that dubbin is not the right thing to use. For nubuck leather there are special preparations that should be used. Most famous of these is Nikwax's Nubuck and suede proofing, though there are others.

Now all I've got to do is get my hands on some. When I do I'll keep you posted on the result.

Thanks again.

Woodwose
17-12-2011, 09:53 AM
The water used to run off my pair when new. After a while the top of the boot above the toe cap would "wet out" showing that the outer coating had worn off. I sprayed them with a silicone based product but they would still "wet out" after a short time when walking through wet grass.
I'm not sure about those spray on products, more like a water repellent than a waterproofer.
Using nickwax or Dubbin on your boots will change the outer nubuck/suede to a more shiny appearence. It would also cut down there breathability. I would have thought it will make them more waterproof as you are covering them in a grease-fat-oil mixture.
Try a spray on-proofer first, if you're still getting wet feet, then as a last resort I would try Nickwax or something similar. Good luck

JonnyP
17-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. For years I have been putting dubbin on my boots but with these it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

After I posted my question I did some more research - the conclusion is:

The nubuck leather these they are made of is factory treated with a waterproofing layer. Beneath the leather is the waterproof and breathable Breatha-tex layer, similar to Goretex.

When I first got the boots water ran off, quite literally like off a ducks back. This was the proofing on the outside of the leather working. After I while I noticed that the leather was getting wet - but my feet weren't, this was the Breatha-tex working.

So it now seems the Breatha-tex has failed. Nothing much I can do about that but I can reproof the outside. Various searches on the web revealed that dubbin is not the right thing to use. For nubuck leather there are special preparations that should be used. Most famous of these is Nikwax's Nubuck and suede proofing, though there are others.

Now all I've got to do is get my hands on some. When I do I'll keep you posted on the result.

Thanks again.

Dubbin is not the stuff to put on goretex etc boots when they are working right. Only if the lining fails.. Make sure you are not just getting condensation inside, because as Woodwose mentions, if the outside of your boots *wetout* (become sodden) then they will not breathe, and you are liable to get condensation, just because the outer skin has water logged, and not the lining failing.. Dubbin could waterproof your boots, but it will never stop condensation.. That comes down to what you use your boots for, and how sweaty your feet are etc.. Maybe try some goretex designed waterproofing first, like grangers or nicwax products..

cuppa joe
18-12-2011, 07:33 AM
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/nikwax-nubuck-proofing-125ml-p107789