PDA

View Full Version : Boil in the bag

Doughty-1
30-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi

I am doing a 2 night "bushcraft" camp with my college course.
We need to provide our own food, I wouldn't mind trying to make my own instead of using ration packs if possible.

Could anyone suggest the best way to do this?

Would it be best to make, bag, freeze then let it thaw over the day?

Would the zip lock bags from tesco/ ASDA do the job?

Any help will be appreciated

Hayley

Silverback
30-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Hayley and welcome to NB

I have done all of what you suggest. Freeze and thaw works but you get condensation on the outside of packaging which can wet your gear if you aren't careful.

I made a simple tomato and veg pasta sauce and I used pour and store bags..i find them much tougher http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264137083 to carry it in, boiled up pasta, added sauce voila !

Doughty-1
30-08-2012, 03:20 PM
I am thinking of doing a spaghetti bolognase and pre boiling the spaghetti and mixing it in with the meat etc so only need one pot

comanighttrain
30-08-2012, 03:26 PM
slap some cheese on it - cheese is a good outdoor food cause of its calorie density and it doesn't go off so quickly...when it does, you can actually just cut off the mouldy bits....

Doughty-1
30-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I would carry the cheese separately and add it to the hot food so it melted on top

comanighttrain
30-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I would carry the cheese separately and add it to the hot food so it melted on top

Works well! man I want some now....

Silverback
30-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I am thinking of doing a spaghetti bolognase and pre boiling the spaghetti and mixing it in with the meat etc so only need one pot

In that case boil it up in the bag eat it out of the bag and no washing up ! Try it at home first then you know it works

Tigger004
06-09-2012, 11:51 PM
If you are going to eat it from the bag, take something to hold the hot bag with! Tinfoil covered foam will stop it burning your pinkies and also keep it hot too, love it...

twosmokeforever
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
you can buy food in a bag from camping stores for loads of money, we just buy tins, pierce an boil them

new potatoes, some veg and some sort of meat stew. just check that the 3 tins fit in your cooking pot

finish it with a tinned desert, spotted dick, jam sponge etc with custard

tinned fruit is also good

a feast but not very natural

or pears wrapped in foil & put in a fire (potatoes are good like this & fish)

thats why I like shell fish, it saves on foil (I set the crayfish trap earlier, baited with fishy feast catfood)

starting to feel hungry now

Doughty-1
08-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I have ration packs at home but don't want all the carbs that are in them, I'd rather go for a healthier meal packed full of veg etc not chemicals